Idaho Spring Bear

Unit 1 is pretty rugged. It’s an amazing place though. I’ve hunted bears up there a few times and never came across a black bear, only spotted a grizz once.

Unit 4 has a lot of bears to hunt (it’s a two-bear unit), a lot of country to hunt, but a lot of hunters too. I don’t know how far you’ll get with spot and stalk. Most folks hound hunt or bait.

There’s reasons for baiting and hounds. Both areas are super thick with vegetation and have water, food and cover everywhere.

CMF

WKR
Great thread! Tentatively looking at heading up to Idaho around the third week of May and staying until the second week of June for our first spring bear hunt (only previously had bear tags for opp. while elk hunting). I'll be bow hunting and taking my 14yo daughter rifle hunting. Would like to also find some moderate terrain to take the wife and 9/12 yos a few times. We'll have backpacking gear, but home base at a camper.
I'm considering units 14,15,16, and 33 based on various harvest statistics and the reduced-cost license.

Any advice on hunt dates vs snow conditions and access in these units?

If looking at burns and timber cuts on OnX, at what year would they be to grown up to consider glassing/hunting?

Any recommended RV campgrounds with good access to these units?

Great thread! Tentatively looking at heading up to Idaho around the third week of May and staying until the second week of June for our first spring bear hunt (only previously had bear tags for opp. while elk hunting). I'll be bow hunting and taking my 14yo daughter rifle hunting. Would like to also find some moderate terrain to take the wife and 9/12 yos a few times. We'll have backpacking gear, but home base at a camper.
I'm considering units 14,15,16, and 33 based on various harvest statistics and the reduced-cost license.

If looking at burns and timber cuts on OnX, at what year would they be to grown up to consider glassing/hunting?

I've only hunted 33 once, but it's quite steep. Haven't hunted the other units.

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider

Wouldn't waste my time with 15 or 16 u less you know where to bait. You have a better chance in 14. But its not great either. 33 is alright. Just a lot higher elevations. With not great access. The whole state is steep so there ain't much easy areas unless you draw it. Then it is easier, but you can make it as hard as you want

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

duckhuntr

FNG
Great thread, appreciate all the info being shared.

I'll be heading over mid may turkey/bear combo. And may come back early June as well. I was focusing on Unit 8A, 10A, and 11. Only because I've turkey hunted those in the past. I've always seen bear sign, and seen 1 bear, but now that some of you mention it, may be too thick for spot and stalk as its thick in a lot of places. Any suggestions or just look for the timbered patches?

I had also considered calling. Been reading a lot on that and it's intriguing. Anyone done this before?

tfrank86

FNG
I’ve been watching this forum for years and you guys are full of information. I’m finally in the planning phase for 5+ day trip with three other guys. We’re looking to head that way from Iowa likely June of 2024. We have no illusions of us all tagging bears on a a diy trip and would still be happy even if it turned into a brutal camping trip.

I am struggling to key in on a unit, twice now I’ve thought I had it narrowed down, but then read that they are thicker and not conducive to a spot and stalk or glassing trip.

Currently I’m looking at Unit 20 coming in from elk city. Harvest numbers seem low is that from lack of pressure or lack of bears? And is the first road typically open mid to late June?

If unit 20 seems like a terrible idea I’m more than open to suggestions.

Heading back to central Idaho this year for spring bear. Without giving away the unit, the snotel map SWE for the area is 102-128% above the median and significantly above last year. We hiked in May 8th last year and felt it was a little early. With the additional snowpack I'm trying to time this year's hunt. Thinking about leaving during the 3rd to 4th week of May.

What are people seeing on the ground in central Idaho for snow levels and access?

Heading back to central Idaho this year for spring bear. Without giving away the unit, the snotel map SWE for the area is 102-128% above the median and significantly above last year. We hiked in May 8th last year and felt it was a little early. With the additional snowpack I'm trying to time this year's hunt. Thinking about leaving during the 3rd to 4th week of May.

What are people seeing on the ground in central Idaho for snow levels and access?
There is a lot of low/mid elevation snow. Higher elevations are pretty much average to slightly above average. The low to mid elevation will melt off pretty fast. anything above 5500 will take a while. They are forecasting another 1-2 feet above 5500 in the next couple of days. I use the Landmark Snotel site as a general average of the places I go. It shows 100 inches of snow @ 6860 ASL. I think I attached this site before, but here is another good site with camera shots: https://map.eye-n-sky.net/

I can’t speak for all of central Idaho, but my usual spot is buried. I actually don’t think my typical camping spot will be accessible by Memorial Day weekend when I head out. My other spots here in the north won’t be an option until June I reckon.

The snow can be as much fun as hunting bears for me, and honestly a big part of it for me, I hope it keeps putting it down......

Burg1

FNG

I’m in eastern Idaho and the snow is still a long ways from being gone. We had a few days of warm temps this week but now it’s looking like highs will be back in the mid 30s for the next couple of weeks and that’s in the valleys. It’ll be a long time until anyone can access the higher country

I’m in eastern Idaho and the snow is still a long ways from being gone. We had a few days of warm temps this week but now it’s looking like highs will be back in the mid 30s for the next couple of weeks and that’s in the valleys. It’ll be a long time until anyone can access the higher country
Don't need all the snow gone, but wouldnt mind the snow line being at 6,000' or higher when we head in. Will have to keep tabs on the snotel reports.

tbro16

FNG
I'm only able to hunt the last week of April and maybe a few days first thing in May. For those familiar with normal conditions in late April I'm curious on your thoughts- generally speaking, how high is too high? I saw in a report from last year the snowline was around 5k ft in late April. What were last seasons snow totals like?

For a late April hunt I'm reading you obviously focus on your south slopes. With the likelihood of more than normal snow at that time this year I'm trying to develop a gameplan. The issue for hunting south side slopes is when there's too much snow for a bear hibernating on the north side to make it over the crest and down to the south side. In that scenario, are bears going to go down the north side of the slope and hang out near the creek bottoms where there will be no/less snow, water, and green grass along the edges? I would imagine a bear fresh out of the den will be willing to migrate to find food/water, likely using creek bottoms as travel routes vs hanging out in that area waiting for spring or going up and over any peaks?

tbro16

FNG
Your guess is better than mine, but this is something I read recently and got me thinking a bit.

“Bears tend to den on north faces and transition to the lush south faces for feed, but at this point in the season, the snow was keeping them from heading over from north faces to south faces. As the week went on and the snow melted, I watched how the bears slowly drifted up the north face and towards the top. That was fascinating to watch for the bear nerd in me.”

Are bears waking up from hibernation when their internal clock says so? Or does the weather/snow level effect when they leave their dens? Then what? Do they travel down the north side and sit in the creek bottom until they can head up the south side? If bears follow the snow line up as spring progresses, then why would they go up and over the north side to access the south side? Seems backwards.

Where we hunt, between 6-6500 ft the big boars are out second week in may pretty consistently. Hasn't seemed to matter if there was 5 ft of snow, or 10 ft. They will stay put if they know of a good food source from past years even if they wait a little. We have done baits in this area, and then big boars are always the first to be in the area, with there tracks coming over a low spot in the ridge to them south facing side.

Younger bears are what we have seen go down looking for food and follow the green back up. Big ones will do it to, kind of the fun with bears for me is how predictable some can be and others are all over the map.....