Idaho Spring Bear

sneaky

"DADDY"
While we're all jonesing for getting out for spring bears, this probably isn't the year we need a quick warm up. That would be disaster with all the snow we have on the ground. We really do need a gradual warmup and runoff, or flooding will be especially bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

While we're all jonesing for getting out for spring bears, this probably isn't the year we need a quick warm up. That would be disaster with all the snow we have on the ground. We really do need a gradual warmup and runoff, or flooding will be especially bad.

Agreed. We have more snow and water than we know what to do with on the east side of the Sierra's. Lakes are full, the marshes are full, and water will is starting to be dumped into the middle of the desert to avoid flooding. Should be a good duck season though...

We are getting to the point that when it does warm up, it's going to be quick. That lower elevation snow has the potential to get ugly. This particular site is 27 days past peak snow and shouldn't have hardly anything left on the ground. It's at 400 percent right now.
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/WCIS/AWS_PLOTS/siteCharts/POR/WTEQ/ID/Van Wyck.html

I've hunted inm the sorrounding areas, spent 2 falls in 66, 66a and 69 hunting deer and elk.
I did spot one bear 2 years ago, heard of people seeing tracks, but that's about it. In my defense, I'm not a bear hunter but like to get out during Spring :)
I hunt 66a each year and live nearby. It doesn't "feel" like there are a ton of bears in there, but I will get one on camera from time to time. I could have shot a young sow this year while elk hunting, but didn't want to deal with it.

seww

WKR
I hunt 66a each year and live nearby. It doesn't "feel" like there are a ton of bears in there, but I will get one on camera from time to time. I could have shot a young sow this year while elk hunting, but didn't want to deal with it.
Sent you a pm

I snowmobiled near priest lake yesterday. Normal mountain snowpack is what I saw. What is weird to me is the lack of big cornices. What should have been a 50 foot cornice was only 20 feet. Where the 20 footers normally are, they where only 5 feet. Unit 1.

Attachments

• 20230329_110628.jpg
    20230329_110628.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230329_110635.jpg
    20230329_110635.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230329_110641.jpg
    20230329_110641.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230329_151543.jpg
    20230329_151543.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 68
I snowmobiled near priest lake yesterday. Normal mountain snowpack is what I saw. What is weird to me is the lack of big cornices. What should have been a 50 foot cornice was only 20 feet. Where the 20 footers normally are, they where only 5 feet. Unit 1.
That is odd. Maybe less high elevation wind this season? Southern Idaho is taking another beating this morning.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another winter storm watch for this weekend here, starting at midnight. Temps are going to be cold for the next week at least it looks like. Peak runoff is either going to be on time and massive, or pushed back into July at this point. June 17th is usually peak around me.

Those of you who want to get into 10 won’t be able to go far for a few more weeks yet unless you have rigs that can handle driving on shitty snow or tracked utvs. There’s a few folks I had to tell the bad news today at the gas station that came all the way here without checking conditions. Beaver Creek is only plowed to Sheep Creek. After that, 3-6’ of spring time snow conditions on the road until you get to the River and spotty up river from there.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Another winter storm watch for this weekend here, starting at midnight. Temps are going to be cold for the next week at least it looks like. Peak runoff is either going to be on time and massive, or pushed back into July at this point. June 17th is usually peak around me.

It’s gonna FLOOD!

Quick snow update for southern portion of 32a. Yesterday at Dodson Pass, there is 24"-30" of snow at the county line. Looking north up 3rd Fork, there isn't any dirt showing on the south or west slopes . There were some wild onions poking out in unit 32 just below the solid snow line. Unless Gem County plows the road up 3rd Fork, it's going to be a while before you can get in there.

Quick snow update for southern portion of 32a. Yesterday at Dodson Pass, there is 24"-30" of snow at the county line. Looking north up 3rd Fork, there isn't any dirt showing on the south or west slopes . There were some wild onions poking out in unit 32 just below the solid snow line. Unless Gem County plows the road up 3rd Fork, it's going to be a while before you can get in there.
I'm assuming it's worse the further east you go into the mountains?

I'm assuming it's worse the further east you go into the mountains?
I haven't been much farther east of 32a than Garden Valley in the last month. East of Dodson, over to Smiths Ferry is carrying a rather substantial snow pack. It's not unheard of to see the higher elevations (5500+) have a high percentage of median, but the low to mid elevation snow is truly impressive. The last week really put it down .

I haven't been much farther east of 32a than Garden Valley in the last month. East of Dodson, over to Smiths Ferry is carrying a rather substantial snow pack. It's not unheard of to see the higher elevations (5500+) have a high percentage of median, but the low to mid elevation snow is truly impressive. The last week really put it down .
Hopefully you guys get some sunshine soon.

Also waiting for the first bear of the season to be posted to give us some hope.

seww

WKR
Still bad here in Eastern Idaho. Drove out to Swan Valley yesterday to see if I could hike around or not. Big not. Still snow on all slopes where last year I was hiking without snowshoes on the ground... The county is starting to open up the roads on 4/15, but no idea where they will start and how long all that will take.

I think it was Tetonia that had record levels of snowfall this year, same in Inkom. Nothing unusual in Idaho Falls, but more than the previous 2 years I've lived here.