Idaho 2023-2024 Seasons Proposals

Broomd

WKR
Ummmm.... not only no, but hell no to about 90% of what you listed. You trying to turn Idaho into Utah or Colorado? IDFG doesn't make the decision on motorized access for units, so good luck getting all exemptions removed when that affects non hunting user groups. You went off the rails on a bunch of these "wants".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yep, pure sh!t, 90% of it....have a hard time believing that's an Idahoan posting that crap!
Unbelievable.

IdahoBeav

WKR
A missed point form another thread - no one shows to the meetings because little to nothing comes from them. Make them matter, make changes expeditiously. Just a few examples they took 5 years to reduce doe hunting, 20 years to incorporate illuminated nocks.

Another point, 2019 UofI survey to address crowding and low satisfaction. Still nothing changed. Tell me again how attending these meetings is meaningful. Now they have our opinions and still, here we are...
It's more productive than complaining online, and you get an opportunity to hear the issues IDFG faces. People only like to think of their own problems and what they think can be done to address them. In reality, there are many factors, and you cannot please everyone. Many people with IDFG have the same criticisms and complaints that you and I do. They're also hunters themselves, but they have an inside view and understanding that we do not. They can answer some of our questions and provide reason for some of the issues with herd numbers, hunts, regulations, etc.

In general, Idaho hunters prefer opportunity over quality. With demand as high as it is, opportunity creates overcrowding.

Opportunity, quality, low hunter-density- we can't have all three.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I blame being distracted by a zoom meeting for not reading that closer. My bad!
No worries! I get defensive quick when points get brought up as better.

In my family we've gone years not drawing 80% tags, drawn some sub 10% tags and everything in between. There's always a chance. I rarely if ever put in for glory tags as I'd rather hunt somewhere several times than once. Give me three cracks at a unit and I get pretty good lol.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
@87TT @sneaky @Broomd

Why have meetings if we aren't going to discuss changes? Just a circle jerk? How about offering up ideas rather than a flat hell no? I'm open to discussion, but that response is intellectually dishonest.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
It's more productive than complaining online, and you get an opportunity to hear the issues IDFG faces. People only like to think of their own problems and what they think can be done to address them. In reality, there are many factors, and you cannot please everyone. Many people with IDFG have the same criticisms and complaints that you and I do. They're also hunters themselves, but they have an inside view and understanding that we do not. They can answer some of our questions and provide reason for some of the issues with herd numbers, hunts, regulations, etc.

In general, Idaho hunters prefer opportunity over quality. With demand as high as it is, opportunity creates overcrowding.

Opportunity, quality, low hunter-density- we can't have all three.
We certainly cannot have all three nor can we make all hunters happy. The role of IDFG is not to make hunters happy, but to preserve, protect, perpetuate, and manage wildlife.

For clarity OP asked what changes or discussion we would like to see. This thread is a great example of why no one attends these meetings. Few are willing to discuss online let alone in person.

OP
Customweld
1. Make the IDFG Director an elected position (currently hand picked by governor). Same with commissioners.

2. Post detailed minutes of all meetings (not just an agenda).

3. Revisions to governor and landowner tags - put them on the books (how many per unit etc). Limit land owner tags to their private property.

4. All controlled hunts draw due by May 5th. Draw results due by May 25th.

I prefer quality of quantity, and I know this puts me in the minority of hunters...

Generally - implement similar measures for residents deer tags as NR tags.

5. Incorporate elk zones as deer zones, make residents choose a zone. Stop OTC resident tags, but allow them as 1st choice draw. Apply for that deer tag by zone. If youre not a resident by the draw due date you're SOL.

IDK - but I lean to revising capped elk archery - reduce archery season, make an early and a late archery tag, splitting tags in half.

6. Remove all exemptions to motorized hunting rule units, unless its not legal then allow ADA. (no camping, game retrieval etc)

7. Major revisions to youth hunting. Make all 'general' season opportunities preceded by a 2 day youth only hunt, include DAV, disabled.

8. Require all big game tags to have "CWD endorsement" - $5 - an online/inperson class about IDFG CWD plan. make it short, make it have a test. *Unit 14 had hunters completely unaware of CWD reg changes. This is how CWD spreads... Earmark fees to CWD management.

9. Require all landowners to allow hunting on their property before seeking any damage compensation from big game.

10. Go to a points system.

Look at the study of perceived overcrowding and low satisfaction. This was published in 2019. Yet IDFG has done little to address the overcrowding and low satisfaction.
1. Remember, we as hunters are still the minority. Even in red Idaho. As political as IFG is, the last thin we need is commissioners and a director on non stop campaign mode. Also IFB has enough cronies at the statehouse, we don't need them to control the board and director.
2. Agreed. At least make it easier to track the minutes down.
3. Agreed on LAP tags being restricted to the land in which they own.
4. I'll agree.
5. No opinion.
6. Too many land management agencies involved to unilaterally shut everything down. Logistically, enforcement would be damn near impossible with the current number of CO's.
7. Make youth antlerless tags eligible to age 14. I'd be ok with a bump up in DAV opportunities.
8. It's up to you as the hunter to know the rules . What happened in 14 and 15 last year was pure hunter ignorance. Nothing more.
9. Already a rule.
10. Absolutely no points system. Read threads from states that have points systems. They are crumbling under their own weight . At some point you have too many max number of points holders chasing the same finite number of tags.
I would also add that showing up to the meetings absolutely does help. I have heard quite a few suggestions be made and make it into the next set of rules. A lot of the things you suggest go far beyond the setting of seasons every 2 years. These are issues that would need to go before the legislature first.

IdahoBeav

WKR
We certainly cannot have all three nor can we make all hunters happy. The role of IDFG is not to make hunters happy, but to preserve, protect, perpetuate, and manage wildlife.

For clarity OP asked what changes or discussion we would like to see. This thread is a great example of why no one attends these meetings. Few are willing to discuss online let alone in person.
The meetings are not like this thread and online bickering. People are much more cordial and productive when meeting and discussing in-person. Maybe there would be more or better change if 200+ people showed up to each of the meetings.

OP
Customweld
The meetings are not like this thread and online bickering. People are much more cordial and productive when meeting and discussing in-person. Maybe there would be more or better change if 200+ people showed up to each of the meetings.
And you actually take some information back with you. There are a lot of things that we as privateers aren't privvy to that come out in these meetings.

No points, ever. One of the best things about Idaho is the random system.

Make all the capped zones a draw tag. This gets rid of the 5-day waiting period and really makes people put some skin in the game and should help with the draw odds in some units. Then, make a general tag good for all uncapped zones. These zones already have no limits on tag sales and this would be an extension of this.

I’m not opposed to having a deer go to a similar system as elk but I’d like to see the capped zones be draw and uncapped be general as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
@87TT @sneaky @Broomd

Why have meetings if we aren't going to discuss changes? Just a circle jerk? How about offering up ideas rather than a flat hell no? I'm open to discussion, but that response is intellectually dishonest.
I suspect that you don't even really know what 'intellectual dishonesty' means.
I didn't even offer an argument, therefore that term isn't even applicable.

I'm not going to banter beyond this, anyone that includes going to a 'points system' to rectify or change what is arguably the best system in the country is beyond meaningful discussion.
Other mountain states' point systems have ushered in total opportunity failure throughout the West, and one might say the lack of that implementation is the biggest factor in Idaho's R and NR success.

As I stated before, have never read from a long-time Idahoan who wants that potential disaster.

No points, ever. One of the best things about Idaho is the random system.

Make all the capped zones a draw tag. This gets rid of the 5-day waiting period and really makes people put some skin in the game and should help with the draw odds in some units. Then, make a general tag good for all uncapped zones. These zones already have no limits on tag sales and this would be an extension of this.

I’m not opposed to having a deer go to a similar system as elk but I’d like to see the capped zones be draw and uncapped be general as well.

Some of the capped zones are the least popular in the state, I would be OK with a deer tag model like elk where we have some units/zones that are capped and others that are unlimited so that residents can still hunt every year but certain zones will be more popular than others.

Big no to the general elk tag being good across zones, that is just begging for more pressure

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
For non resident keep tag system way it is maybe different allocation of tags but everyone that got their tag lets say in 2022 automatically gets pushed to back of line or dosen't get to try for tag for 2023 and let the people that didn't get tag in 22 try for one in 23 if that's possible?
Separate deer and elk tags different days dec 1st elk Dec 2nd deer might stop some of the site crashes.
Makes me wonder how many people are trying for those 12000 tags. I'm michigan 48000 people apply for 260tags

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207_195342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207_195342_Chrome.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
Customweld
For non resident keep tag system way it is maybe different allocation of tags but everyone that got their tag lets say in 2022 automatically gets pushed to back of line or dosen't get to try for tag for 2023 and let the people that didn't get tag in 22 try for one in 23 if that's possible?
Separate deer and elk tags different days dec 1st elk Dec 2nd deer might stop some of the site crashes.
Makes me wonder how many people are trying for those 12000 tags. I'm michigan 48000 people apply for 260tags
I think they are supposed to address NR tags. It will be interesting to see if they change the Dec 1st fiasco.

OP
Customweld
@Broomd . I like your approach. You don’t hold back much and call it as you see it. You never have to guess where you stand on a subject!

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I may be the odd one out but I would like to see the a tag season either extend a couple days in October or start on Sept 6 again and go afew days in October

MHWASH

WKR
I'm living the point system nightmare in Washington. Myself and 10,000 other people have 28 points for moose.

I'd like to see a draw option for NR to apply as a group.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
IFG will start releasing proposals for the '23 and '24 seasons this week. I don't think there are any radical changes in the cooker. Are you planning to attend any open houses? What would you like to see implemented?
Apparently everyone thinks based on 30 year old data and binocular/scope technology that 3 point or better general tags for 18-64 year old hunters won’t work, but I think it’s our best bet to get a more reasonable age class in our state. It also makes people consider their ballistics and long range shooting which is a positive side effect.

Another one that won’t happen but I think would be better is instead of choosing either 1 OIL species (sheep, goat, or moose) or all 3 apps for deer elk and Antelope - it should be changed to “pick 2 out of 6”. I think that allows more people including youth into the OIL draw which creates more excitement.

Finally, if you draw any tag that had a 4 percent or lower draw odds (1 in 25) that year, you must wait at least 2 years to put into that species again for a non harvest, and 5 years with a harvest.

TheTone

WKR
Apparently everyone thinks based on 30 year old data and binocular/scope technology that 3 point or better general tags for 18-64 year old hunters won’t work, but I think it’s our best bet to get a more reasonable age class in our state. It also makes people consider their ballistics and long range shooting which is a positive side effect.

Another one that won’t happen but I think would be better is instead of choosing either 1 OIL species (sheep, goat, or moose) or all 3 apps for deer elk and Antelope - it should be changed to “pick 2 out of 6”. I think that allows more people including youth into the OIL draw which creates more excitement.

Finally, if you draw any tag that had a 4 percent or lower draw odds (1 in 25) that year, you must wait at least 2 years to put into that species again for a non harvest, and 5 years with a harvest.
WA has a three point hunt in a ton of units, basically it leads to people shooting the first tiny three point they see. I don’t see those areas are being known for anything special.

I think you would end up with a lot of dead 2 points laying on the hill also; I know a unit that used to be 4 pt restricted had tons of 3 pts shot every year.

OP
Customweld

I can get on board with the wait periods. I think 2 years for non harvest and 4 years with a harvest would be a good start. I think there are plenty of folks already in the OIL draws, I tend to like how they are structured now. Not a fan of antler point restrictions. Biologists have determined that they are more detrimental than beneficial.