Ice/snow comparison between rifles

4th_point

WKR
I had my Tikka out in the weather the last few days and had the trigger malfunction for a period of time.

*** One other minor detail... I have one of those aftermarket lighter springs in my trigger. That could be the cause.... With the factory trigger spring, maybe it would have been more resistant to the issue.
Hey thanks for the report, and follow up with the aftermarket spring information.

This type of stuff is good to help inform others. Changing components may have unintended effects. And really, all of the trigger designs out there have issues it seems. None are foolproof.

Hopefully you had a successful hunt!

I think I bumped aftermarket spring up to 2lbs because I didn't like the super light trigger in cold weather. I'll probably just put the factory back in and set it at 2-2.5... whatever the low end is for factory seems sufficiently low

grfox92

WKR
I figured this would be the appropriate place to post this, just curious as the what happened.

My hunting partner shot a mule deer yesterday. Brand new Tika Roughtech Ember 300wm. He set up on the buck and squeezed the trigger, the gun didn't go off. He ejected the round and put it in his pocket cycled the bolt and shot the buck. Next one went off.

Light primer strike. It was 12 degrees and snowing. The gun was not plugged up with snow. Less than 20 rounds on the gun, it was zeroed earlier in the week.

Any thoughts? Any action needed? He's going to go shoot more today to see what happens. Factory Hornady 200gr ELD X.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
c1b1307e31ae0834af2bb0239d157d10.jpg

Jimbee

WKR
I figured this would be the appropriate place to post this, just curious as the what happened.

My hunting partner shot a mule deer yesterday. Brand new Tika Roughtech Ember 300wm. He set up on the buck and squeezed the trigger, the gun didn't go off. He ejected the round and put it in his pocket cycled the bolt and shot the buck. Next one went off.

Light primer strike. It was 12 degrees and snowing. The gun was not plugged up with snow. Less than 20 rounds on the gun, it was zeroed earlier in the week.

Any thoughts? Any action needed? He's going to go shoot more today to see what happens. Factory Hornady 200gr ELD X.

c1b1307e31ae0834af2bb0239d157d10.jpg
Was the bolt slightly lifted? That'll do it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Almost guaranteed that his bolt was slightly lifted as stated above.

Marshfly

WKR
I had a light strike on a brand new T3X during the first 10 rounds through it also. Kind of made me question but zero issues now with well over 100 rounds through the rifle in the past couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first got my RSS I was out shooting it and had my hand lift the bolt ever so slightly. Same thing. Heard the firing pin strike but the round never went off. Realized what happened and now I just make sure I'm aware of it. SRS should make a tikka knob.

p3t3rsn

FNG
@Formidilosus

First, thanks for doing this test and reporting results. Supremely helpful.

Second, any thoughts on how a properly built Mauser 98 may have performed in such a test? We always hear about how they were “designed for war time conditions” back in the day.

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
Brand new Tika Roughtech Ember 300wm. He set up on the buck and squeezed the trigger, the gun didn't go off.

Did he have a round in the chamber and safety on, just before firing? If so, then the safety locks the bolt down. In that scenario, the bolt handle isn't going to be lifted enough to make a difference in my experience.

There are other possible causes but it would be helpful to answer that question first.

grfox92

WKR
Did he have a round in the chamber and safety on, just before firing? If so, then the safety locks the bolt down. In that scenario, the bolt handle isn't going to be lifted enough to make a difference in my experience.

There are other possible causes but it would be helpful to answer that question first.
No I believe he chambered the rifle shortly before he crested the ridge to re find the buck. Heavy clothes and gloves in, he probably didn't reset the bolt all the way down.