I thought this was public land?

Here in New Mexico they like posting no trespassing signs facing the public road at cattle guards and gates, so not illegal just miss leading, the signs are on private but are there to deter folks from continuing down a public road.

A large landowner here is trying to close a public road for several miles that goes through his land, it accesses thousands of acres of public and is an actual county road!

It's a miracle anything slogs through the legislative process and I'm not picking on Wyoming:
House Committee reading and vote
3 House readings and vote
Senate Committee reading and vote
3 Senate readings and vote
Amendments along the way
Governor

Really glad they saw the problems with "physical force" bill (the comments section of this article are enlightening)

Here in New Mexico they like posting no trespassing signs facing the public road at cattle guards and gates, so not illegal just miss leading, the signs are on private but are there to deter folks from continuing down a public road.

A large landowner here is trying to close a public road for several miles that goes through his land, it accesses thousands of acres of public and is an actual county road!
I see this all the time, ranchers closing the only county road to access a different property

Here in New Mexico they like posting no trespassing signs facing the public road at cattle guards and gates, so not illegal just miss leading, the signs are on private but are there to deter folks from continuing down a public road
Yup. It's not just in the west either, I see it here too in Virginia. There needs to be a standard way of posting that is legal and examples of illegal ways of posting, plus appropriate penalties to dissuade the practice.

I like it, but it also seems like it would be very hard to enforce.

Couldn't the landowner simply say they didn't install the sign? How would law enforcement prove otherwise?

Where are folks getting away with all the time closing CR's? Not that common here in Wyoming but I guess it happens, Lorenz comes to mind bur he got put in his place.
The posted signs at cattle guards are to show land ownership changes at the cattle guard and usually is because no fence to post on parallel to the road.
Posted signs are mostly a problem out on the BLM on the 2 tracks, not CR's in Wyoming anyway.
Road and Bridge Dept have websites that show public roads, just look online and then email the Super if you have questions, pretty simple.

I found some signs a few years back here in Colorado. I checked 4 different maps and they all showed the signs were a few hundred yards into public land. I called CPW and they said they would come check on it. Never heard anything until a few years later when I was stopped by the same officer that I spoke to on the phone. He said forest service finally came out and removed the signs. Nothing happened to the people who put them up. In my opinion if you claim something that isnt yours, that is considered stealing

I wanted to draw a tag last year for bull elk near Rocky Mtn Natl Park and I saw a bunch of posts that there were chains across public road that said “no trespassing” but here’s the catch… the ends of the chain were on the edge of the public road which was anchored to private land. So you had to leave public access road and walk into private land to undue the chain. Posts said G+F were aware but can’t always stay on top of that issue.

Needless to say, I didn’t draw the tag because of that conundrum. I did call G+F to verify and they didn’t have a solid answer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this a lot a few years ago in southern Colorado. I didn't want to deal with the headache so I ended up hunting somewhere else.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Had this exact thing happen in MT this weekend. A large sign on a main rd said National Forest Access, turned onto the gravel rd and as it veered to the mountain, there was a sign posted by the Cattle guard saying "private property, no trespassing".

I wanted to draw a tag last year for bull elk near Rocky Mtn Natl Park and I saw a bunch of posts that there were chains across public road that said “no trespassing” but here’s the catch… the ends of the chain were on the edge of the public road which was anchored to private land. So you had to leave public access road and walk into private land to undue the chain. Posts said G+F were aware but can’t always stay on top of that issue.

Needless to say, I didn’t draw the tag because of that conundrum. I did call G+F to verify and they didn’t have a solid answer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just unhook the chain in the center on the public road!

Piss on them all who block legally public access because they feel entitled.
I’ve experienced it a little during personal trips and for work reasons. Nothing more defeating than nothing every really happen to the culprits

Found it a couple times here in Utah. There’s one that is pretty fun to jump the gate on. The landowner just glares at you but won’t stop you or saying anything.

Back