A win for the good guys in WY.

Dude took several sheep, moose, and elk, yet his fines amount to about what a truck costs these days. That’s crazy!
Spend a decade or more hunting what many spend a lifetime trying to get a chance at and all you get is a year in jail and less than $100k in fines.

So in 2024 them dudes will be back at it, or doing worse nonsense they learned about in jail.

Homer

FNG
Reading it, the main issue appears they were claiming residency in Wyoming while not living there. I’m curious if had they actually been residents would their animals have been legal? I don’t see how they could pull that many sheep tags and the article leaves a lot out. Of course since they broke a law like that I’m sure they’d have no issues breaking many others. The ironic part is after their year in a Wyoming jail they will have enough time there to get their residency.

These fines are way too low, especially for the species that are special draws, once in a life time tags. They should automatically include every dollar that was spent by the law enforcement to build and prosecute this bunch. I would include the wages and benefits of the officers all the way up to the judges. Plus just simply raising the fines. I am pretty sure that a lot of tags that I would like to draw I never will or be able to afford in the West now with the changes happening.

LostArra

WKR
You would think they would be fined at least the cost of non-resident tags and preference points for each poached animal. It looks like a legal hunter pays more than a poacher but without the expense paid stay behind bars

Rich M

WKR
Crime has always paid this side of eternity.

He wanted to hunt xyz so he got an address and used it. Someone was offering an address for rent on here to do exactly the same thing within the past 2 or so years.

There are thousands like him. LEO will slowly catch a few. All about who they piss off who will turn them in.

Reading it, the main issue appears they were claiming residency in Wyoming while not living there. I’m curious if had they actually been residents would their animals have been legal? I don’t see how they could pull that many sheep tags and the article leaves a lot out. Of course since they broke a law like that I’m sure they’d have no issues breaking many others. The ironic part is after their year in a Wyoming jail they will have enough time there to get their residency.

I think that's the part that started the ball rolling, but that wasn't at all the main issue.

"Vick was charged with illegally killing two bighorn sheep rams and a bull elk without a license during closed seasons and trespassing on private property to hunt without permission in 2006."

The hunting without a license could possibly be construed as having an invalid license, but during a closed season makes it look to me like it's just straight poaching.

LostArra

WKR
There had to be more to this story than a residency violation. It takes residents decades to draw some of the tags mentioned. I'm pretty sure Wyoming doesn't have a 3 for 1 moose/sheep tag even for residents.

As these tags become more and more difficult to legally obtain it would not be surprising to see more criminals who also hunt just go the poaching route and roll the dice on getting caught. A criminal is usually not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Flyjunky

WKR
These fines are way too low, especially for the species that are special draws, once in a life time tags. They should automatically include every dollar that was spent by the law enforcement to build and prosecute this bunch. I would include the wages and benefits of the officers all the way up to the judges. Plus just simply raising the fines. I am pretty sure that a lot of tags that I would like to draw I never will or be able to afford in the West now with the changes happening.
Does Wyoming do any auctions for their once in lifetime species tags? If so, the fines for those should equal the highest bid for that tag. For instance, last year in my state the auctioned sheep tag went for $345k.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Does Wyoming do any auctions for their once in lifetime species tags? If so, the fines for those should equal the highest bid for that tag. For instance, last year in my state the auctioned sheep tag went for $345k.
I agree, fines based on auction tag prices are the most appropriate for trophy game species. People willingly pay a ton of money to hunt sheep and, if you do so illegally, you should pay dearly for it.

Fines and jail time have never been enough for crimes like this!!

I’ve never understood the act of taking away hunting rights. They obviously don’t care about tags, seasons, etc so losing hunting rights means nothing. I hope they took all guns, vehicles, etc as well.
^^^ 100

Just like people that drive around without auto insurance.

And here -

Book...

...catapult

Targets...

Does not need to be thrown, needs launched at Ackley improved terminal velocity.

Nay, creedmoor velocity...