I got smoked buying a knife off a FB group. Anything I can do?

I'm a DumbAss. I joined a FB group specifically to buy a discontinued knife. A guy offered me the knife I was looking for. Was quick to communicate via FB Messenger. We set up a plan. I paid via PayPal Friends and Family. Guy sounded legit. Asked if the mailing address was listed correctly.

Once I got home and check the Group via LapTop not an iPhone I got a few messages from other Group members saying "that 'guy' is sketchy...use caution' ". Too late. I made the deal and made the payment.

All the posts in the Group showing the knife and our back and forth communication was gone! I attempted to message again "Cant be sent" in Red letters.

I am rather certain my $300 is long gone. But is there any recourse?

How concerned should I be over my Bank of America account, since it was direct payment from my account?

What mitigation methods can I take, if any.

Never been rolled up this bad. I've bought n sold tons of stuff on here. Other outdoor sites, etc. My "First Time" lol.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
If you paid via friends and family I think you give up pretty much any protections you could have had. It's probably unlikely he was posting with his real name and location, and even if he did, I doubt calling his local police department would do much over $300 anyways. Unfortunately I think you're hooped.

I don't think you have much to worry about as far as your banking info though, that's protected through PayPal.

intunegp

WKR
Yeah you're cooked. I have heard of a bank dispute on a friends and family transaction resulting in a refund from the bank, but in this case you willingly sent payment via friends and family for a purchase to a stranger on the internet so I don't think they're going to be much help. You could talk to them, the worst they can do is tell you what we already have.

What was the knife?

Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but that’s why I’ll never use F &F. What did you save, like $9?
Always worth it to me. Even on big stuff.
Hate it for ya

CRJR45

WKR
I'm Jesse James and this is a robbery !
Sorry , couldn't resist . Could be worse , I loaned a friend $500 and never saw or heard from him again .

just contact paypal and your bank and explain to them what has happened. its not the first and wont be the last time they have heard of it. the worse they can say is sorry. but call them and try.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You realize this is social media right?
Yes I know, but this isn't a gossip site, for the better part. I even visit one other outdoor site. I never ever buy off either one. My wife spends some time on FB, she will come over to me and show me something, which I roll my eyes at. When she goes back about her business, I will check out what she showed me, likely it turns out to be fake news, or just pure BS.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
This sucks friend and I hate when this stuff happens. It makes me want to track down the slime and shank 'em.

On the upside, thank you for the public service "announcement" reminding us all to be careful with our purchases.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
When they ask you to pay them via a method that takes away your protection, the crooks are TRYING to tell you caveat emptor.