SCAM Alert -- Everyone on this forum should read and heed

BBob

WKR
how much of a pain is it
USPS MO works fine for me for small stuff but for larger amounts they never have enough cash to pay me so I have to go back over and over until I get lucky and they have enough cash in their drawers to get paid. I'd say under $100 I'm okay but going up from there it gets harder. It took a week and a half of on and off trips to get paid on ~$400 once.

gbflyer

WKR
“According to the USPS website, here are ways you can check the authenticity of one of their money orders:

Check that the amount does not exceed the legal limit which is: $1,000 for domestic and $700 for international Postal Service money orders.
Check that the proper security features are present:
When held to the light, a watermark of Benjamin Franklin is repeated from top to bottom on the left side.
When held to the light, a dark line (security thread) runs from top to bottom with the word “USPS” repeated.
There should be no discoloration around the dollar amounts, which might indicate the amounts were changed.

The USPS provides a way to verify money orders. If you’re not sure if the money order is real or not, you can call the U.S. Postal Service Money Order Verification System at 866-459-7822.

You can also report any suspected fraud by calling the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455.”

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course, but if it is a fake MO, you are on the hook for those funds.
It runs the same as a check, which is electronically. It's not a guessing game they know instantly if the funds are there or not.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Also that’s not true. Checks can return up to 7 days later.
Interesting. Not the info I got from my bank teller, I swing by tomorrow and get clarification.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Exactly which is why on a lot of forums when someone wants to pay with a check they are willing to let you sit on it for a week or more to better insure it goes through and isn't rejected and prove they were worthy.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This is all helpful. Especially the $1k limit and lack of cash at the USPO. Thanks