SCAM Alert -- Everyone on this forum should read and heed

Buck1972

FNG
I ran into a similar douche on Hunttalk. Luckily for me a phone call made it easy to figure. Sounded like a call center overseas. He also stated he lived in Atlanta not Northern Cali he had on his profile. Sucks

I had a similar situation a week or two ago with wtb add I posted. The account name was, “Tone”. Very little info on his account, no pic, wanted me to pay using Zelle and then said he would use Venmo but didn’t want me to post a description of the time in the notes. His Venmo was “Bart-Spangler-2”. I backed out because it all seemed sketchy. After reading another post about scammers I searched the binos in rokslide and found the original pics the dirt bag used before photoshopping and sending me. I reported it but not sure what happened. Just a heads up on the account names; anyways be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTB ads should be banned from here. Sorry this happened to you, but it seems like every single guy that got scammed on here and posts about it results from a WTB ad.

I have patiently been looking for a 7mm Rem Mag for quite a while. I know my search would have potentially been quicker if I posted a WTB ad, but I also knew the potential for getting scammed. So I waited patiently until I found a WTS listing for what I wanted (ultimately, I just bought it off of GB). Same thing with a scope for that gun. I waited until I saw a WTS listing on here rather than post a WTB ad.

Vaultman

WKR
I've thought about posting WTB for an item but I was going to require receipt of goods before payment.
For a WKR with good feedback I think it may work.
And for non banned items, always use pp G&S.

Mods should up the minimum post count for the classifieds to 200. Plenty of people with 200 posts here. Make the newbies earn it if they want the deals.

OP
A
Yeah I’m of the mind that WTB ads are useless at this point. I learned a lot of lessons on this one, both good and bad, but I hope if nothing else it saves some of the new guys here the pain of going through it.

If the seller will not take a USPS MO, you have your answer. Sometimes old school still the safest for both parties involved in transaction.

As a newbie on this site, I don't think changing the post count limit is super helpful. I found it incredibly irritating on 24 HCF, lost out on a couple decent deals that I wanted to buy because of it. Scammers are definitely getting better every day. Gotta have your defences up constantly now it seems. Would love to see some of them drawn and quartered as a warning to the rest...

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If the seller will not take a USPS MO, you have your answer. Sometimes old school still the safest for both parties involved in transaction.
I’m on the fence for switching to the MO, so serious question - how much of a pain is it - for both parties? Buyer has to go (with cash?) to the USPS to buy it, mail it, wait for that to be received and cashed (a trip by the seller), and then the seller ships. Right? Is there any risk of showing up at the USPS and you have a counterfeit MO? I’m guessing that’s WAY too much effort (and criminal risk) for a scammer.

I’m not complaining. I’m just making sure I know the steps. I can’t decide if I want to go that route and aim for full asking price as seller, or hold out for another WKR on here - and we “know” each other and drop some percentage and stick to electronic payment (PP FF as an example).

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
My FFL deals in USPS money orders exclusively for remote transactions. Fraudulent postal money order activity can result in mail fraud, which can yield a visit from the Postal Inspectors. Unlike visa and Mastercard, they carry a sidearm and have handcuffs.

I’ve lost deals as a buyer right here on RS because someone didn’t want to wait for a money order. That’s ok, seller’s prerogative.

Getting one is easy and they accept debit cards if you don’t have cash. Any bank will cash or deposit them.

My FFL deals in USPS money orders exclusively for remote transactions. Fraudulent postal money order activity can result in mail fraud, which can yield a visit from the Postal Inspectors. Unlike visa and Mastercard, they carry a sidearm and have handcuffs.

I’ve lost deals as a buyer right here on RS because someone didn’t want to wait for a money order. That’s ok, seller’s prerogative.

Getting one is easy and they accept debit cards if you don’t have cash. Any bank will cash or deposit them.
Yes, any bank will cash them if you have money in your account to cover them, and put a hold on the funds until the MO clears, about 2 weeks. But when a fake MO doesn't clear, you are out the product and money, if you shipped it.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, any bank will cash them if you have money in your account to cover them, and put a hold on the funds until the MO clears, about 2 weeks. But when a fake MO doesn't clear, you are out the product and money, if you shipped it.
Seriously? Ugh. Any difference if you cash at the USPS (if that’s an option)?

Seriously? Ugh. Any difference if you cash at the USPS (if that’s an option)?
Yes, the USPS verifies before handing you cash.

FYI, I just made a post about my thoughts on AI and scammers. Personally, I think foreign scammers are already using AI.

ptmn

FNG
These scammers limit me on high end high cost items, both sales and purchases. I say limit, since I prefer to do face to face transactions on high end stuff.

That really sucks, since most sales transactions aren't anywhere near me, so I miss out. I live in the bluest most liberal area in the country, so not many gun owners near me...well not a lot of legal gun owners, lots of illegally owned guns by gangbangers and other criminals.

gbflyer

WKR

You must have a shitty bank is all I can say.