I got smoked buying a knife off a FB group. Anything I can do?

OP
J
I get butt hurt easy...butt this is pure Dumb Ass on my part. I have no excuse really. It's On Me. Just thought the masses who are more Tech Savvy to these things would have an Easy Button for me.

KenLee

WKR
I get butt hurt easy...butt this is pure Dumb Ass on my part. I have no excuse really. It's On Me. Just thought the masses who are more Tech Savvy to these things would have an Easy Button for me.
It's tough keeping your wits about you when the chance to get something you've been searching for appears.
Kinda like ignoring the reds flags from a gal who appears way out of our league. Shit happens. Better to quit letting it eat at you than worrying over 300 bucks.

Just out of curiosity, was the knife listed for sale or did you post a "want to buy" ad?

I litigate for a living. If there were more zeroes on the deal, something could be done. You could sue the John Doe defendant then drop a subpoena on FB to find out who he really is, then proceed against him. Obviously not worth it for $300. Be wiser next time.

I deleted by FB account years ago and have not looked back,

OP
J
ISO/Wanted. The Admin of the group wrote me a lengthy What For. Stated they do their best to vet members, but when an In Search Of is posted, that's when the Roaches come out.

As stated...it's a discontinued model. I surfed eBay a few times w out finding one. The manufacturer suggest the FB Group. Took a few days to be admitted to the Group by Admin.

My ignorance took this to mean everyone was vetted (as well as could be). I was kinda suprised when someone offered up what I was looking for rather quickly. A second poster stated to the like of "Damn...that's a smoking deal. I'd grab that if I were you". So I did.

The communication back and forth was great prior to me send the funds. Didn't really trigger any alarms.

Then I got Smoked.

I get the concept of only $300....not worth the fight. Yes I am smarter and more cautious now.

Kinda soured me on that fixed blade. Lol. I am on the books for a great custom that should be produced this fall. And a couple other drops. I NEED none of them.

Was an Idaho resident for a bit. Scrambling to get back there. Chris Reeve being from Idaho and stamped Idaho Made got me 3/4 stiff. A bit more class and legendary than Montana Knives and the like.

Swing and a Miss

KenLee

WKR
ISO/Wanted. The Admin of the group wrote me a lengthy What For. Stated they do their best to vet members, but when an In Search Of is posted, that's when the Roaches come out.

As stated...it's a discontinued model. I surfed eBay a few times w out finding one. The manufacturer suggest the FB Group. Took a few days to be admitted to the Group by Admin.

My ignorance took this to mean everyone was vetted (as well as could be). I was kinda suprised when someone offered up what I was looking for rather quickly. A second poster stated to the like of "Damn...that's a smoking deal. I'd grab that if I were you". So I did.

The communication back and forth was great prior to me send the funds. Didn't really trigger any alarms.

Then I got Smoked.

I get the concept of only $300....not worth the fight. Yes I am smarter and more cautious now.

Kinda soured me on that fixed blade. Lol. I am on the books for a great custom that should be produced this fall. And a couple other drops. I NEED none of them.

Was an Idaho resident for a bit. Scrambling to get back there. Chris Reeve being from Idaho and stamped Idaho Made got me 3/4 stiff. A bit more class and legendary than Montana Knives and the like.

Swing and a Miss
I tote a Buck 110. Have 3 in my kitchen and one in all of my 6 vehicles and one in my Harley tool bag. Lady friend has one in her purse. They have done what I needed for over 40 years. Probably have less than $300 in all of them.

Last edited:
It happened to me during my early online trading/buying days... it was an item I really wanted so just jumped on it. I know only purchase on sites with clear feedback systems in place (Reddit/Tacswap). I do not ever use G&S, but haven't had any issues.

KenLee

WKR
People who buy high end knives aren't buying them because cheaper ones don't cut things.
Alot of truth to that...just don't try to tell me the same philosophy applies to rifles, pistols and shotguns. :)
Aww shit, anyone need a bunch of overpriced firearms?

OP
J
Alot of truth to that...just don't try to tell me the same philosophy applies to rifles, pistols and shotguns. :)
Aww shit, anyone need a bunch of overpriced firearms?
Yea....I hate Bougie...but in reality...I am kinda there. Buck factory right down the road. I bought a few recently as well. Lotta bang for the Buck :cool:

But I've finally Ascended? to a level I could afford a few Classy things. Things my kid drools over and will get when I die. Filson shit (yes, much if not all now made oversees), a classic Chevy truck and a Land Cruiser. Some older controlled round feed Classic Winchesters.

And some knives. Some MKC (he already got a 51200 Stoned Goat after I upgraded to Magna), a spendy Half Face custom my wife had made from me before Andy got REALLY huge (I doubt she will let this one go to him, as it means quite a bit to her also).....and what would have been a Chris Reeve.

It's Bougie AF. In my pocket today is a pretty plain Spyderco Manix in shitty S110V that is pain to sharpen.

And of a handful of semi custom rifles, I've found box stock Tikkas kick quite a bit of ass....so they are my equivalent to your Buck 110s. Non Bougie beaters.

CRJR45

WKR
OP , in the 80's Gerber came out with a knife I thought was cool as shit in American Eagle , but I didn't have the cash , laid off and struggling . When I went back to work I went to get the knife , the store was out of stock , GRRR.
The closest store to me that had it in stock had one , 60 miles away and I had just enough time to get there .
The clerk called the other store to tell them I was coming . When I walked in the whole store came out to see the idiot that just drove 60 miles to buy a knife , like I had a third eye or something ....
So , yeah , I can relate , hope you find one ....

Mtandrew

FNG
I’ve asked for picture of drivers license as well as self photo if they only want f&f transaction. Also ask for a phone call with a real phone number not an app based program.

cb2176

FNG
Most of us have either been swindled or it just has not happened Yet to us. It sucks when it's your turn.

intunegp

WKR
Most of us have either been swindled or it just has not happened Yet to us. It sucks when it's your turn.

It's easy enough to avoid, you just have to be weary. I've been buying and selling knives and various other items on forums for 15+ years and never had an issue as a buyer or seller.

Sorry to hear. Credit card, paying for goods option and never unless at least a 25% savings. Always research the sellers years of membership and feedback. It has happen to all of us. I bought a car with a bad tranny.