Hunting Property Lines

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but apparently they did not have permission to be where they were. I guess they were told to stay away from the neighbors land, by the bean field landowner. They ignored that warning. Hence the charges.
That also doesn’t change the fact that the old guy is an asshole. If you approach a situation like that aggressively, regardless of how right you are, you could still end up bruised and bloodied or worse. It’s one thing if you are forced to escalate to that level but it’s another entirely if you start at that level.

bgipson

FNG
That also doesn’t change the fact that the old guy is an asshole. If you approach a situation like that aggressively, regardless of how right you are, you could still end up bruised and bloodied or worse. It’s one thing if you are forced to escalate to that level but it’s another entirely if you start at that level.
100%. If a game warden actually tallied up the offenses he committed, his fines would be staggering and he would likely not be allowed to hunt again for quite some time.

This can now be summed up very easily.

Both sides were in the wrong.
Youtube boy should have burned the tape, instead of posting it online for fame, money, sympathy and likes.
ND hunter/landowner relations took a big kick in the nuts.

And IMO the landowner's rage is now a little easier to understand if he knew his cousin said go ahead but steer clear of angry landowner guy. Also makes more sense why the hunters tried to touch base with the angry landowner guy the day before..

Last edited:

bgipson

FNG
I would imagine both parties (landowner and hunting party) mentioned the above verbal stipulation in conversations with the LEO? If not it would be nothing more than "he said/she said"
In Wyoming you have to have written permission (technically) to hunt private. If ND is the same, then the hunters have no leg to stand on unless they have a written slip with no indication of limitations as cited. If it's not required, the landowners sworn testimony is as good as written otherwise he's purjering himself

S.Clancy

WKR
In Wyoming you have to have written permission (technically) to hunt private. If ND is the same, then the hunters have no leg to stand on unless they have a written slip with no indication of limitations as cited. If it's not required, the landowners sworn testimony is as good as written otherwise he's purjering himself
I have no idea of ND permission rules, or my home state of MT for that matter. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe they would prefer that statement in writing vs verbal. I'm assuming the trespassing party noted the landowner stipulations to the LEO, hence the charge. I guess we have gotten similar directions from landowners for bird hunting and didn't push those boundaries. Some people's decisions are so interesting

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
ND does not require written permission.
This is why it is always beneficial to get written permission, even if it is not required. Takes any guessing or he-said-she-said out of the equation.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would not have been able to restrain myself the way those kids did. I would have beat that old man’s ass into the North Dakota dirt if he spoke to me that way. Grouchy old coot was just pissed he got cockblocked.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
With the said limitations the hunters had, that might explain the reason the were so calm about the entire situation hoping grumpy would take it at that and leave them alone. He was actually pissed because they were hunting right where he wanted to hunt, so he said. He did come on as Ahole from the get go.

bgipson

FNG
I have no idea of ND permission rules, or my home state of MT for that matter. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe they would prefer that statement in writing vs verbal. I'm assuming the trespassing party noted the landowner stipulations to the LEO, hence the charge. I guess we have gotten similar directions from landowners for bird hunting and didn't push those boundaries. Some people's decisions are so interesting
I was making that note because of hearsay. Anything in a verbal civil agreement has 0 weight unless recorded somewhere. Hence the farmer may or may not have said that and unless the hunters have it in writing they have no defense if the landowner is willing to swear in court he said that.

I personally wouldn't have taken the route these guys did but they're young and dumb and want their 15 minutes of fame. Well they got it and a citation for their trouble. May be worth it to them or may not...

The landowner was so far out of line its not even funny but these guys should have read the situation and packed up the moment they realized he wasn't going to relent. They had enough evidence for hunter harassment x6 (or however many guys were present) plus multiple instances of using a motor vehicle to harass waterfowl. Being that it was an ongoing investigation they really shouldn't have posted anything until it was all said and done in court but back to my "young and dumb" comment...

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I would not have been able to restrain myself the way those kids did. I would have beat that old man’s ass into the North Dakota dirt if he spoke to me that way. Grouchy old coot was just pissed he got cockblocked.
It would be very hard for me to say that anyone is wrong for responding that way to that level of aggression.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Cal. requires written permission, not that anyone out here ever gives it. Land owners for the better part hate hunters. Some may have reason, the others just hate hunters. I was turned down every time I asked. One of the other reason I don't hunt Cal. any more.

Poser

WKR
Apparently the state has charged the grumpy old man with some type of extortion related misdemeanor, a disorderly conduct charge and a (misdemeanor) hunter harassment charge.

Be glad if you don't live in a state that allows deer hunting with dogs. People drive dogs across your property onto their property.....nice!!

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Land owner was out of line and a total prick. End of story.

KurtR

WKR
Sorry, but apparently they did not have permission to be where they were. I guess they were told to stay away from the neighbors land, by the bean field landowner. They ignored that warning. Hence the charges.
They had permission to be where they were but to stay off Jeff’s. So how far away is away?

KurtR

WKR
Kurt, curious if you know if this was a section line or 1/4 section? Technically on a section line, they would be able to shoot within that right of way (33 feet each side of the center) as long as they have permission to shoot on one side of the section line (aka "road").
From what I have been told it would be a quarter line but not 100 percent

Jmort1754

WKR
I guess the question here is where is appropriate to set up. If I have permission on one piece of its BLM or some sort of public do I have to leave a 20 foot gap between myself and the property line.

After watching the videos no matter where the kids stand at this point that old man should be put to pasture. Harass me like that or someone like SD up above, it is not just the fact that it is all talk, sometimes when you knock on the door someone, you're not going to like answers.

It seems a bit odd that if the bean field owner had told them to stay away from the other property, that they would then set up their blind mere inches from the place they were told to stay away from.
Especially when they had observed the other hunters scouting and talked to the other group that morning, and were filming the hunt.
Maybe the young man is that clueless and brazen. Maybe there is other nonsense going on.
A little odd their reasoning for locating the A-frame at the corn edge. They have a few videos showing placing the A-frame in the middle of cut/tilled fields.

I’ve hunted waterfowl my entire life and I just don’t get the great desire to get ducks and geese. Yeah they are fun to hunt, but that’s about where it ends. And if your not having fun, why bother.

Last edited: