Hunting Property Lines

If I'm being honest, you're probably right, with there being some bias. For good reason :)
Just trying to play devils advocate a little I guess. There is always two sides to a story, and so far, we've mostly only heard one...

Listened to a little of the podcast @KurtR posted earlier. Sounds like the roost was on the opposite end of the bean field from the corn field and they were trying to put some distance between their setup and the roost + they had some older guys who couldn't hunt from layouts hence the A-frame on edge of corn. From their point of the story, seems like logical decisions. Seems they had a good feeling someone would be setting in the corn and they were cutting between them and the roost but that's just how it goes sometimes and I wouldn't skip hunting it just because of that. Sounds like they likely knew they were tempting confrontation by using the edge of the corn field to make their hide look better.

Perfect example of why i quit waterfowling. So many circumstances just like this where what you're doing isn't clearly in the wrong but hard feelings are created anyway. That stress when you're finding a field and see another group eyeing the same birds, gamesmanship trying to chat it out with them, races to get to unposted fields first in the morning and wondering if the other group will set up in the same field anyway, and on and on. Nice to just go hunt and not deal with that crap.

dtrkyman

WKR
True KurtR. But have seen midwestern whitetail hunters and they don't hold a candle to Joe Waterfowler!

Whisky

WKR
The plot thickens....One of the hunters was formally charged with criminal trespass.

bgipson

FNG
Curious how the landowner didn't get a "using a motor vehicle to pursue, harass, or harvest waterfowl" citation... I got that exact citation back in college for a much less egregious error on my part.

Kurt, curious if you know if this was a section line or 1/4 section? Technically on a section line, they would be able to shoot within that right of way (33 feet each side of the center) as long as they have permission to shoot on one side of the section line (aka "road").

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt waterfowl and especially geese a lot. I travel to Arkansas every year to hunt with some longtime friends. I’d say 90% of the time we are hunting on the edge of a field. They’re bean and rice stubble fields and unless we have a sloppy farmer (not a normal occurrence in that part of the world) we are hunting the levies. In the 15 years we’ve been hunting that part of the world we’ve never had a landowner or farmer (most of the farmers don’t own a lot of the land they farm but they have the hunting rights) talk to us like that. We’ve hardly ever seen the farmers and the landowners even less often. We’ve had a couple locals come tell us we can’t hunt where we are…normally the conversation ends with us laughing at them. We’ve had some day hunters call GW on us cause they couldn’t read a map and accused us of trespassing which was quickly squashed by the GW without controversy. Once three day hunters approached us in the parking lot of the gas station in Cash, started a conversation with us and told us they were hunting the same field we were. They said “Henry” told them they could hunt. They were wrong and Henry told them as much. Turns out they had permission to hunt one of his fields, not all of them and not the one we were hunting. They were pretty surprised because it turns out Henry was hunting with us that morning and was sitting in my buddy’s truck during the conversation.

I keep a pretty level head and brush most things off. I do not tolerate an asshole though. The old guy is an asshole. They weren’t on his property and they had permission to be where they were. Deal with it.

Whisky

WKR
I keep a pretty level head and brush most things off. I do not tolerate an asshole though. The old guy is an asshole. They weren’t on his property and they had permission to be where they were. Deal with it.

Sorry, but apparently they did not have permission to be where they were. I guess they were told to stay away from the neighbors land, by the bean field landowner. They ignored that warning. Hence the charges.

Whisky

WKR
This can now be summed up very easily.

Both sides were in the wrong.
Youtube boy should have burned the tape, instead of posting it online for fame, money, sympathy and likes.
ND hunter/landowner relations took a big kick in the nuts.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but apparently they did not have permission to be where they were. I guess they were told to stay away from the neighbors land, by the bean field landowner. They ignored that warning. Hence the charges.
That changes things. I understand the two landowners in this situation are related. I’m not saying they weren’t trespassing but blood runs thick and I’ve seen family bonds outweigh the truth.

Trespassing wouldn't be applicable if it was a section line. Unless it is closed by the county commissioners.

Both sides were in the wrong.
Youtube boy should have burned the tape, instead of posting it online for fame, money, sympathy and likes.
ND hunter/landowner relations took a big kick in the nuts.
100% agreed with this. I don't feel sorry for either side. One guy is an a-hole and the other side should've solved this with the warden and landowner they had permission from. Keep the social media courts out of it.

bgipson

FNG
No way to prove the landowner didn't say it unfortunately unless they have video/audio of the conversation. Even then they're probably best off just paying the fine and finding somewhere else to hunt...