Hunting Property Lines

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Saw this video pop up on the YouTube. Seems like some younger guys were hunting the property line and the landowner was a little heated. Not too familiar with the waterfowl scene.

What do you guys think about this situation?

Superdoo

WKR
Both parties were wrong.
The youngins didn't have to set up directly on the line and the old man was way out of bounds.
It's sad. You can tell that the land owner will not be giving permission anytime soon to anyone after the world has seen this.

sram9102

WKR
A hunting buddy showed me this video this morning. 10' further from the property line wouldn't have made the property owner in the video happy but would have made all the sense in the world from a neighborly point of view.

Rich M

WKR
Waterfowl is similar enough to deer hunting. Hunting on the line is frowned upon by most.

Nothing like pissing off landowners. LoL!

Last edited:

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
The owner was out of line and I hope he gets some kind of fine. I doubt it will happen if he is the land owner. The hunters were clearly hunting the bean field. That crap about paying him $300.00 and he would leave them alone says it all about the guys caricature. Sure they could of set the blind up a couple feet away, but I doubt that would have changed the out come.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
Landowner was being a prick imho, from
The video the young boys seem to hold it together pretty well considering. They were obviously not hunting on him. Could they have scooter up, maybe but it wouldn’t have made a difference here

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone around there probably knows he's an asshole and won't take his side. GW sure didn't seem to listen to him over the kids. Young men were more than patient when getting yelled at. If the guy was really going to hunt there he should have gotten up earlier and been at the spot on his side sooner than he was. Sounds like he is made he got beat. I would have moved the blind 1-2' and told him to f' off.

Wellsdw

WKR
That ranchers corn slash is littering the “public” haha. It’s not like they are shooting birds over the corn, and running out to grab them. (From what i saw) No distance that has any effect on that farmers hunt will ever be sufficient to appease him. If they 100 yards off and affected his hunt he’d still cause problems.

The "landowner" is a big crybaby and the "young'ns" used poor judgment.

What the landowner doesn't realize is he in fact did harass other hunters. Also, there is the extortion issue that the game warden keyed in on when it was mentioned.

The land owner will lose. That's it and that's all.

Been kinda following this for the last week and lots of opinions out there. I think the best assessment I saw is that sometimes morons cross paths.

I don't think anyone would argue that the old man on the ATV is beyond out of control and in the wrong. I can't understand why the kids would set up where they did, especially without permission on the neighboring property. They could've done a bit better to avoid conflict as I've seen several accounts that the landowner of the beans warned them about the landowner of the corn field.

Then the part that pisses me off the most - they hurried up and put it on YouTube. I refuse to watch that video. ND is already a state that has had some major hunting/landowner issues over the last several years and this will fuel the fire and not help tilt the scales for people looking for hunting access. But hey, these guys got their views - smash that like and subscribe button to help enable it some more guys. Just absolutely terrible optics for the hunting community is all I see here.

My best friend growing up called me yesterday to talk hunting and see if I was coming home to hunt this fall. He brought up this video (apparently it's big talk locally) and touched on it's the perfect example of why he only lets friends and family on his land anymore. Him and all my buddies back home farm several thousands of acres each and I'm sure they've all talked amongst themselves and share the same sentiment. The landowner of the beans in this video that was gracious enough to let these guys hunt is now in the middle of this shit storm I'm sure.

S.Clancy

WKR
Then the part that pisses me off the most - they hurried up and put it on YouTube. I refuse to watch that video. ND is already a state that has had some major hunting/landowner issues over the last several years and this will fuel the fire and not help tilt the scales for people looking for hunting access. But hey, these guys got their views - smash that like and subscribe button to help enable it some more guys. Just absolutely terrible optics for the hunting community is all I see here.
I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they set up specifically in that area knowing that there might be a landowner conflict. I'm sure it drove views. YouTube is a dumpster fire.

KurtR

WKR
Actually the owner of the field they were hunting on and that guy are cousins. They then hunted the same field the next two days just out in the middle more.

But hunting edges is common with a frames and they did nothing wrong. There was a group of people over the hill 500 yds still shooting ducks as this guy drove at the kids every time birds were coming for three hours.

Just think if he would of just asked to hunt together and spoke like a normal human he wouldn’t be on video. This guy has been doing this before why should he be able to keep getting away with running people off on land he does not own or control

EdP

WKR
I can see an issue hunting too close to a property line where wingshooting is involved and the birds may drop across the line. What is wrong with hunting the line where deer are involved? Yes, they can and do sometimes run "the wrong way" and cross the boundary, but as long as they were shot on the property owned or permissioned, what is wrong with that? I have often hunted from a stand on a line tree and always limited my shots to deer on my property. My stand was always positioned for shots on to my property, not the neighbors. I didn't like it much when I found a neighbor's stand on the line facing my property, He wasn't hunting the line, he was hunting my property from a line stand on his property. On small properties in the east, I don't think hunting close to or on the line is uncommon, but a hunter should not be shooting game on another persons property from a stand on theirs.

More from my experience, if you hunt close to boundary enough you are gonna get a critter that crosses over in some way. For me that lesson was learned the hardest on a whitetail I hit with a bad bow shot and trailed it a half mile to the back of a neighborhood. I tried to trail it in and out of a couple of yards based on blood marks on the road. I finally had to give up and hate to think it laid down in someone’s yard with my arrow sticking out of it.

Thanks for the additional info Kurt. But no way I'm enabling this further by listening to that podcast!

As for other people's comments, in North Dakota you can retrieve dead and down animals on private land without permission. But not sure why they would take that risk knowing how the neighbor was prone to act. I guess we grew up hiding in rock piles and haystacks and it worked great. They litter the landscape, so I guess I would've personally set up somewhere else. But I haven't hunted waterfowl in a decade.

WKR
Neighbor in KS hunts on the border between him and me. I may actually hunt the border 400 yards east of him soon. We talked it over and if his deer runs onto my place he can recover it and vice versa. We text each other if we need to drive in mid day to tend to a stand or blind in order not to mess up a hunt for the other. Both of us only hunting 80 acres each. Nice to get along well.

Way the heck better than stuff like this.