Hunting Property Lines

KurtR

WKR
It seems a bit odd that if the bean field owner had told them to stay away from the other property, that they would then set up their blind mere inches from the place they were told to stay away from.
Especially when they had observed the other hunters scouting and talked to the other group that morning, and were filming the hunt.
Maybe the young man is that clueless and brazen. Maybe there is other nonsense going on.
A little odd their reasoning for locating the A-frame at the corn edge. They have a few videos showing placing the A-frame in the middle of cut/tilled fields.

I’ve hunted waterfowl my entire life and I just don’t get the great desire to get ducks and geese. Yeah they are fun to hunt, but that’s about where it ends. And if your not having fun, why bother.
For me it’s my favorite wild game to eat also.

terrible story above about 2 PA hunters that seem to have been at odds for years. Now one is dead and the other is facing a long, long legal battle.

Jmort1754

WKR

terrible story above about 2 PA hunters that seem to have been at odds for years. Now one is dead and the other is facing a long, long legal battle.
This is right near me.

For me it’s my favorite wild game to eat also.
That’s really cool. Your the first I’ve ever heard say that. Everyone I know puts elk, deer, moose, bear, antelope, turkey, upland birds, and pretty well all fish well up on the list above waterfowl for table fare.

Poser

WKR
I grew up in the Mississippi River flyway region of TN and also spent a bit of time in around Arkansas and Mississippi Delta waterfowl culture. I’ve always maintained that duck hunting is my least favorite hunting subculture and seems to attract the biggest egos, narcissistic personalities and over-top-bravado of any hunting subculture. I’d be perfectly content to never have to listen to some fat, rich prick endlessly complain about not killing a 1000 ducks a season on their $40,000 a year club membership where there is a dedicated duck plucker, SEC games on the big screen in the blind and has never even eaten a duck.

Whisky

WKR
They had permission to be where they were but to stay off Jeff’s. So how far away is away?

Call me skeptical, but I find it hard to believe trespass charges would be filed based on "stay off Jeff's" alone. They weren't on Jeff's, from what I saw. If "stay off Jeff's" was the only instructions the hunters got from Grant, then I will strongly disagree with the trespass charge against them.

However, that still won't change how I feel about the situation. They put themselves in a position for a confrontation.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider

I grew up in the Mississippi River flyway region of TN and also spent a bit of time in around Arkansas and Mississippi Delta waterfowl culture. I’ve always maintained that duck hunting is my least favorite hunting subculture and seems to attract the biggest egos, narcissistic personalities and over-top-bravado of any hunting subculture. I’d be perfectly content to never have to listen to some fat, rich prick endlessly complain about not killing a 1000 ducks a season on their $40,000 a year club membership where there is a dedicated duck plucker, SEC games on the big screen in the blind and has never even eaten a duck.
I grew up hunting ducks there as well. Had family friends in the area but I was always an OOSer. I only hunt geese in the Mississippi Delta anymore because of the culture of the region. I prefer to hunt waterfowl in dry fields these days. If I can keep my feet dry and not wear waders, I’m generally a lot happier.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider

A couple years ago there was a guy that was shooting at folks in NC. I’ll see if I can find the story. He didn’t like the fact that someone beat him to “his” blind on the coast, which is all public water and there are no blind laws (unlike VA). I think it was either Hyde or Pamlico county. He was “guiding” hunters and tried to run a father and son out of the blind. They told him to pound sand and he started shooting. If I remember correctly this guy has also been caught baiting the areas “his” blinds more than once; that’s a pretty common occurrence in that part of the world. Most everyone that I have encountered in that area are trash hunters or super wealthy and members of one of the handful of very exclusive (and insanely expensive) clubs.

It’s got to the point that I don’t hunt ducks anymore unless I’m invited to a private hole. Just not worth it to deal with over-inflated egos involved in the subculture.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider

Clarifying my comment above. He didn’t shoot at anyone but threatened to and also threatened to kill them, on two separate occasions. Once was with a father and son and the other incident, he rammed a boat, boarded it and assaulted two other hunters. Turns out out those two hunters were a member of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission and a cousin of the governor. It was also Dare County near Wanchese, not Hyde or Pamlico. Same area though.