Hunting Podcasts

Anyone else have the same pet peeve of being bugged when the host interrupts guests' answers regularly or the host goes on long monologues? I have a particular host in mind that drives me a bit crazy sometimes and I think it may be an ego thing to some extent or lack of awareness. The guest content is still good enough that I ignore the annoyance. If I really believe the host is a stud hunter, I'll give them more leeway on the monologues but the interruptions still grind.

Side note: One podcast I love is Cutting the Distance by Remi Warren. The guy doesn't bs and just shares his hunting knowledge from so many days in the field. He's top notch. And, I'm still a little sour at @Ryan Avery for what I felt was some unnecessary rudeness to me in a recent thread on the Sawtooth Zone but the guy knows how to moderate a podcast. I'm happy to recommend Avery Adventures to anyone out there.

Kaleb W

FNG
Anyone interested in Alaskan hunting should check out the Tundra Talk Podcast hosted by Tyler Freel, based out of Fairbanks. Tyler is quite the accomplished outdoorsman and I've really enjoyed listening to his podcast for the past year or so. He's a humble guy with a good sense of humor and a ton of knowledge about all things outdoors... anyone interested in Alaska would really like the pod.

Kaleb W.

I'm a big fan of Around the Campfire. Its done by the owner of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Great guests good content and not overly long.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with mtnkid85.... Im sick of the stories and dick measuring contests. I want to learn and very few of them teach me anything, and I know almost nothing

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
It's funny because a lot of guys listen to podcast becuase of the reason other guys hate them. And a lot of guys hate the dick measuring contests but post about their accomplishment on public forums or instafacespace. Talk crap about other "groups" of hunters based on whatever it is that's important or unimportant to them. It's all relative to you. I like all sorts of podcast. Some are informative and some are entertaining. That's the cool part about it. A host is a host, it's his show if I don't like it I'll stop listening. I like some podcasts because you feel like a part of their crew and you like to listen to hunting stories, other times you want to listen for factual evidence. It's all in my interests at the time.

OP
I
Interesting comments. Anyone else have a pet peeve regarding hosts interrupting guests or talking too much?

rob86jeep

WKR
My pet peeve with podcasts is shitty quality audio. I understand if they're just starting, but once you have an established podcast with a lot of subscribers, step up the game and get some better equipment.

OldGrayJB

WKR
My pet peeve with podcasts is shitty quality audio. I understand if they're just starting, but once you have an established podcast with a lot of subscribers, step up the game and get some better equipment.
I agree. Sometimes the host is loud and clear but the guests are difficult to hear.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I don't mind the long monologues as long as it's a subject I'm interested in. As for interrupting the guest, one host comes to mind who generally interrupts to ask questions but then makes sure to not stray from the subject.

It irritates me when the host doesn't appear to be paying attention to the guest. It seems like some are just reading prewritten questions and waiting for the guest to shut up so they can ask the next question.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I agree Remi Warren is the most informative. Really gets down to brass tacks talks about actual tactics. Plus he obviously knows his stuff.

Kaleb W

FNG
Remi is great to listen to and it's clear that he does it for the right reasons.

Like any other form of media, if the primary goal is to gain attention/monetize, the result is going to come across incredibly tacky and obnoxious. There are prominent hunting podcasts that I believe started with good intentions, but unfortunately morphed into something else as popularity began to explode. Good for them making a buck or two I guess...

Scottyboy

WKR
Like @Kaleb W it’s all about money. When the host interrupts the show every 30mins. that Is so damn annoying (meat eater, wired to hunt to name a few)

I get it, sponsors/ads are needed..put them at the beginning (rogan) or end (Jocko) so that people can enjoy what they are listening too without being told how easy applying for life insurance can be.

I stopped listening to them. I was sick of the "Ya man, your a great guy, ya man so are you. I treasure your friendship, ya man I treasure your friendship too" BS that goes on and on and on.

OP
I
@Jaden Bales I bet you find this thread interesting. Honestly, I think you do a great job. I think this reveals a segment of the hunting population alienated to some extent by the flatbill type image and "bro" talk. You'd know the big picture of what is best from a market analysis perspective.

If I could be totally honest, I think Cody Rich can sometimes bug me a little due to being "bro" and interrupting. He seems like a good dude though and runs a good operation. Obviously, the podcast has done really well so I'm probably in the minority. I'm glad I subscribed to the Rich Outdoors Patreon. Great guests and content.

Fitzwho

WKR
List of the ones I've been listening to lately:
-Cal's Week in Review (short and sweet, can be informative and entertaining)
-Meateater (occasionally informative, usually funny as hell)
-Epic Outdoors (informative on applications, etc, entertaining when they get on a tangent)
-Eastman's Elevated (Brian Barney is mainly a bowhunter, I am not, but he stays very positive and talks a lot about motivation, etc, which I think we all need these days)

Honorable mentions to: Bear Hunting Magazine Podcast, Jay Scott, and The Rich Outdoors (just don't like the Patreon thing).

Still like Randy Newberg as well. There are a bunch more that I will listen to depending on subject matter as well, like the YellowDog Flyfishing podcast.

rclouse79

WKR
I have also enjoyed Remi's closing the distance. They are nice small digestible 20 to 30 minute chunks, and he is easy to listen to. I have listened to quite a few podcasts, but the one that I always come back to is Meat Eater. I have learned a lot on a wide variety of topics and it is almost always entertaining.

OP
I
I have also enjoyed Remi's closing the distance. They are nice small digestible 20 to 30 minute chunks, and he is easy to listen to. I have listened to quite a few podcasts, but the one that I always come back to is Meat Eater. I have learned a lot on a wide variety of topics and it is almost always entertaining.

I love all the MeatEater stuff but the podcasts. It’s just so much bsing and add topic switching.

snopro176

WKR
I always enjoy Kifarucast, a great balance of knowledge/entertainment. Lately I can't get enough of the Got Game Tech Elknut series. Jay Scott is great for specific information. Some good gems on Rokcast as well. Meat eater can be great but sometimes nobody can get a word in when Steve's on one..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk