Hunting Podcasts

LostArra

WKR
Early meat eater was really good but the show kinda devolved at some point. That’s one that really seems to depend on the guest as to how good it’s going to be. I will say I wish the episodes were shorter, the 2 hours plus gets a bit much for me.

It changed when they increased frequency to weekly podcasts. Kinda like eating too much ice cream at one sitting.

I still enjoy most episodes and sometimes one surprises me that I actually do enjoy after reading the summary (the recent Burmese python episode had a good guest and Rinella doesn't know much about snakes so he didn't interrupt).

The falconry episode was pitiful because Rinella and his squirrel hunting buddy don't know anything about falconry so absolutely nothing was learned except squirrel guy went to Mongolia. I'm biased because my brother and my late father were falconers so we had hawks or falcons around all the time. The details of the sport are amazing and it requires a unique personality and dedication. It could have been a good episode.

slick

WKR
Agreed Lost, after having spent time with falconers and seeing the trapping methods, the daily care, facilities, nutrition and time they devote that episode didn’t even begin to touch it. Hope they get a falconer on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jaden Bales I bet you find this thread interesting. Honestly, I think you do a great job. I think this reveals a segment of the hunting population alienated to some extent by the flatbill type image and "bro" talk. You'd know the big picture of what is best from a market analysis perspective.

If I could be totally honest, I think Cody Rich can sometimes bug me a little due to being "bro" and interrupting. He seems like a good dude though and runs a good operation. Obviously, the podcast has done really well so I'm probably in the minority. I'm glad I subscribed to the Rich Outdoors Patreon. Great guests and content.
Man, this is an interesting thread. Thanks for tagging me.

Regarding the interruption thing - when you think about your normal conversations in real life, there's a ton of interruption that goes on. Folks say, "Yeah, no, uh-huh, no I hear ya, for sure..." in the middle of all of our conversations. It's a social queue that you're paying attention. Now that I'm doing Muley Mondays it's something I have to work hard at. And the purpose of those shows are exactly the educational route. It's why I have a goal as the host that I made known, so the listener knows what I'm trying to learn and can hopefully do that same.

As you might know, I started listening to Cody's podcast for the education of it all. I honestly believe Cody helped me kill my first elk just through podcasts and the 201 series we did last year.

We often have had these conversations about how if to go the advertiser route you have to keep expanding your audience size to make more money. Often times that means broadening the topics you talk about and trying to reach a slightly different person. You see that with The Rich Outdoors Thursday shows.

He started Patreon to keep the hardcore education going for those guys in here who commented on just being interested in becoming better hunters without the extra fluff. While also being compensated for his time in doing it, obviously.

So stoked you're into the Patreon Eps! Got a couple good muley ones I'm working on now. (y)

Hasn't Cody Rich killed like 3 elk in his life? I'm not saying you shouldn't be proud of 3 elk because I think that's awesome, but that definitely doesn't make you qualified to have a hunting podcast, at least not in my mind. At one point a few years ago I'm pretty sure I heard him say he had killed one elk up until that point. I stopped listening at that moment and never listened to another episode again. Why does someone like that have a podcast teaching people how to hunt? Reminds me of Brian Call at Gritty in that regard. Getting legit dudes on your show to share their experience and knowledge makes a lot of sense but interrupting those guys, when you're all hat and no cattle, is about the dumbest thing a host like that could do. Same with Hunt Backcountry. He's barely punched any tags out west and didn't even have a full podcast episode after hunting with Born and Raised, which you'd think would be one of his most anticipated episodes of his life, since it was actually his hunt.... But he missed an elk on that hunt so that's probably why he didnt publish an episode.

Kifarucast is legit, John Dudley is legit, Brian Barney w/ Eastmans Elevated is legit. In my mind those are the top 3 for information.

I used to really like The Rich Outdoors. Paying for podcasts when there are tons of free ones is a no go for me. Also...adding the 10 minute blips of the paid podcasts is annoying. I unsubscribed even though I enjoyed the podcast prior to Patreon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I
I used to really like The Rich Outdoors. Paying for podcasts when there are tons of free ones is a no go for me. Also...adding the 10 minute blips of the paid podcasts is annoying. I unsubscribed even though I enjoyed the podcast prior to Patreon.

A couple bucks a month isn’t a biggie. Give them some cash. They run a good show. The interruptions to me and Cody’s bro talk is way more annoying to me but I still want to listen.

A couple bucks a month isn’t a biggie. Give them some cash. They run a good show. The interruptions to me and Cody’s bro talk is way more annoying to me but I still want to listen.
Sorry. It is not worth a couple of bucks to me. Too much free stuff available.

OP
I
Hunt backcountry slipped my mind but definitely should be mentioned

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I was going to come back here and mention the Hunt Backcountry. I’ve only listened to a few episodes but I think it’s top notch. The moderators come across as mellow and down to earth and they don’t interrupt which just really easy to listen to and the content is high quality.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the Remi Warren podcast a lot.

You guys could check out the Seek Outside Podcast Seek Outside Podcast. We talk random topics. Some hunting , some conservation, some fishing, some pack rafting, or just super cool remote adventures etc.

Our email for podcast comments or ideas is [email protected]

If you haven’t listened to Snyder on Kifarucast I would recommend that as well. He is very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maclong

FNG
This is so funny. S.R. initials for sure. "Let me interrupt you right there" Remi has the best you're 100% correct. Remi is so well thought out he really breaks everything down in to logical steps without getting off topic.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I like Rinella’s podcast. His interruptions are usually funny or interesting and he carries a conversation pretty well. I like the guy. I can see how some people wouldn’t, but I do.

I’m also in the camp that podcasts are for entertainment more than they are for learning. Every time I’ve picked out a podcast to learn something from (tactics-wise) I’ve been pretty disappointed. I’ll have to give old Remi another shot

16Bore

WKR
Not much that hasn’t already been said or done. Tried it, can’t.

Typical podcast:

Host: “Um, hey guys. Hey. So like today we’re here with Jimmy Shootsalot and Jimmys gonna share his story. So I guess. Hmm. Well, hey guys, before we start, I wanna give a shout out to the dudes at Butt Out international. I know what you’re thinking. But like these things work. So this one time I needed it and it was like, cool. Jimmy, do you like Butt Out’s?

Jimmy - oh yeah man. Wait, what was that again? Oh....yeah man. We run them.

Host- yeah, ok. Cool.

Dead air, cough, cough. Shuffle papers.

Host: Ok, yeah so like this is Jimmy.....