How would you handle this??

Friday I was doing some online shopping for some calls and gear for our Elk trip this fall and found a smokin deal from a well known western hunting retailer. I placed my order, paid for it and received order confirmation. At this point I'm pretty stoked to have stumbled upon this sale and that I picked up some nice rain gear and calls to round out my kit. I also grabbed a rain coat for my brother whos going on the hunt as well. Saturday morning I check my email looking for tracking info and there is a message from the company's customer service department stating that their sale wasn't loaded properly by there tech department causing the pricing to populate wrong on some items. The items that were wrong would be removed from my order but I could reorder them at the correct sale price. I was instantly pissed. I sent a tactful email about customer service and that I am expecting them to make right on their mistake. I also asked to be contacted with a resolution. Haven't received a follow up email or phone call yet. How would you handle this? Any different?

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
How much of a discount are we talking here? Was it in line with a good sale? Or 80% off?

the company should honor their mistake imo, mistakes happen, but taking accountability for mistakes is what a business with integrity would do.

i can't say i would never shop there again, but i would consider all options first in the future, hoping they weren't my best option.

i understand your frustration, too bad the company isn't stepping up and keeping their mistake theirs, but i'm really not surprised these days

OP
Jstumbaugh
It was a very good sale on last years model with limited stock. I honestly took it as an old model clearance sale.

Is the correct price within reason, or did they inflate it?? If you need it, and the price is fair, reorder it. If you need it and the price is too high, shop around.

How much of a discount are we talking here? Was it in line with a good sale? Or 80% off?
that's a good point... i guess if it was crazy % off i could see both sides. at 80% off with a reputable company having product made overseas, they still likely wouldn't be taking a very big hit.... i have a feeling their margins are crazy

When most places list ads with sale items, they also list (at the bottom in fine print), "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS" which this apparently was.

OP
Jstumbaugh
When most places list ads with sale items, they also list (at the bottom in fine print), "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS" which this apparently was.
This was likely more of a programming error from the way the customer service rep lead with their email. Seems like it only affected one of the brands in their sale and potentially populated their cost instead of sale price. Either way, I work in a sales/customer service roll and as stated above "reputable companies stand behind their mistake".

MDT messed up during Black Friday. They had complete chassis for about 60% off. They ended up honoring it even though it was an obvious error. Definitely impressive customer service.

If it’s something multiple retailers carry and they said they aren’t going to honor it I would shop everywhere else first.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I would have reordered at the correct price if I wanted the items at that price. I don't like to set myself up for bad karma by trying to profit from the honest mistakes of others.
An "honest mistake" told by a company? Sure, and if you believe that, I have some ocean front property here in AZ to sell you.

Also, the post about a fat finger or typo by an individual is way different than a business making the same mistake. They do this 100's or 1000's of times a day/week/month so they should get it right. After all, it's part of being in business.

Without the order confirmation, I'd let it go. With the order confirmation, I'd insist they honor it and walk if they decide not to.

And lastly, given the almost hyper inflation environment we're dealing with these days (and not going down anytime soon), I can a see a lot of "honest mistakes" by corporate America to increase revenue.

Good luck OP.

Eddie

rclouse79

WKR
If you listed something here for $20 but left off a zero from the actual price you wanted for it ($200) shipping was $30...and someone quoted your post and added I will take it....would you stand behind your mistake?
Wise reply. In the scenario above I am guessing a very high percentage of people, including myself, would tell potential buyer sorry for the mistake. If they pressed the issue I am guessing a very high percentage of people, including myself, would tell them to go pound sand. I am guessing this is what the company will tell you, or maybe they would offer another small percentage off in an attempt to smooth over any hard feelings.

OP
Jstumbaugh
If you listed something here for $20 but left off a zero from the actual price you wanted for it ($200) shipping was $30...and someone quoted your post and added I will take it....would you stand behind your mistake?
In my work, if I present a quote to someone for material I am responsible for what is being presented. This is a professional retailer not someone posting a classified ad. If it was one item that pricing was extremely off on I could understand a typing error. This was multiple items and pricing varied by size which made me assume that it was an inventory sell off.

MattB

WKR
I am a bit surprised they did not offer to honor their mistaken pricing.

OP
Jstumbaugh
In the Rokslide store, we miss marked several gamebags at almost 50% off. We sold a lot of gamebags that day. We honored the price. It was MY mess up.
Mistakes happen and how its handled makes the difference. Good customer service brings a customer back and I'm sure I will spend enough on my next order to cover any potential loss they may have had.

cjdewese

WKR
I work in an entirely different industry but anytime WE make a mistake that costs one of our customers, we ALWAYS honor that mistake and make it right.

If they don't you have a choice to use them again or not. My guess is that if it's a large enough company they probably wouldn't care either way but we always want to keep our customer for future sales.

Good luck, hopefully they make it right for you or at least find a resolution that you as one of their customers would be happy with.