How would you handle this??

In my work, if I present a quote to someone for material I am responsible for what is being presented. This is a professional retailer not someone posting a classified ad. If it was one item that pricing was extremely off on I could understand a typing error. This was multiple items and pricing varied by size which made me assume that it was an inventory sell off.
I agree. I was just having a conversation the other day about how so many companies today don’t really value customer service anymore. They would rather lose a customer and move on than make it right.
There are definitely companies that go above and beyond as well but seems they are few and far between now.

What company was this?

WKR
Mistakes happen and how its handled makes the difference. Good customer service brings a customer back and I'm sure I will spend enough on my next order to cover any potential loss they may have had.
What is the difference is $ we're talking, as a %?

WKR
I agree. I was just having a conversation the other day about how so many companies today don’t really value customer service anymore. They would rather lose a customer and move on than make it right.
There are definitely companies that go above and beyond as well but seems they are few and far between now.

What company was this?
It's the double edge sword of internet sales. The consumer has unlimited options for searching for the best deal, up to and including basic theft of services. When people will try on a product in a local brick and mortar store with zero intention of purchasing the item there only to find a cut rate price on the internet, that's theft of services IMO...

Businesses can also achieve nearly unlimited customers on the net so they're more likely to let one go if the terms aren't acceptable.

When a local business only had so many customers, and the customer only had so many options, there was a different balance of power.

The game has changed.

WCB

WKR
Tell me what the difference between actual sale price and the price you tried to purchase at was....then I'll decide. If they listed 60% instead of 6% I get their side of it. If it was 35% instead of 45% ok probably room to work depending on product.

Also, maybe not in this situation again depending on above, but good customer service does not mean every customer gets everything they want all the time. Their are definitely people a company can afford not to deal with i.e. people that only purchase from you on rebate or at discount...

It's the double edge sword of internet sales. The consumer has unlimited options for searching for the best deal, up to and including basic theft of services. When people will try on a product in a local brick and mortar store with zero intention of purchasing the item there only to find a cut rate price on the internet, that's theft of services IMO...

Businesses can also achieve nearly unlimited customers on the net so they're more likely to let one go if the terms aren't acceptable.

When a local business only had so many customers, and the customer only had so many options, there was a different balance of power.

The game has changed.
The game of sales has certainly changed with the internet but searching out the best deal is not theft. If a company lists a price on an item and someone purchases said product that’s a sale and should be honored.
Even a reasonable attempt to a solution for both sides is a good step IMO. Just canceling items and refunding the purchase isn’t a solution.
What’s certainly changed is many companies policies even on returns/wrong size issues also.

I just had a partial wrong order issue yesterday. Not only did the company refund the order they sent me an additional free order coupon as well. I most certainly will continue business there also.

Last edited:

JeffP_Or

WKR
I've had similar instances where it was resolved by giving CS a call and agreeing to split the difference between what they advertised it at and what they meant to advertise it at. We all made out okay.

I do believe that the automated 'confirmation' email and the ''order completed/shipping" email gives online retailers a chance to check their work whereas a mismark in a brick and mortar generally does not have that benefit.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if I can say that it's bad customer service to not honor the wrong price. It would be above and beyond to do so.

I can imagine in the world of online sales where everything is about volume, and lowest prices, you get away from customer loyalty. Set some sales parameters online, and if you catch an error, you fix it according to your terms and conditions. You may lose a customer or two, but your low price still shows up on everybody else's searches.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a business owner and we do a lot of manual entry on orders. Last week I forgot part of a charge, $125 on a $1300 order. I ate that because it was my mistake and the customer had already been charged when I noticed. I had a surprise fee of $1500 on a $55,000 order once. Ate that one because I had already quoted the customer and he agreed on the price.

Now if I forget a 0 on an order for $150,000, I'm not losing that kind of money. If a customer wants to try and force that deal the next guy can have him. We've had one or two quotes come over like that and we let the vendor know they made a mistake.

OP
Jstumbaugh
Tell me what the difference between actual sale price and the price you tried to purchase at was....then I'll decide. If they listed 60% instead of 6% I get their side of it. If it was 35% instead of 45% ok probably room to work depending on product.

Also, maybe not in this situation again depending on above, but good customer service does not mean every customer gets everything they want all the time. Their are definitely people a company can afford not to deal with i.e. people that only purchase from you on rebate or at discount...
The jacket was shown to have a normal price of $79 and a sale price of $39.50. I was shopping for a new gps and was browsing through the sale page. Saw the jacket deal and figured I could use it. Ordered two, one for me and one for my brother. Took a picture of the jacket to show him the color. I don’t want to flame the company and it wasn’t my intent to “rob” the company. However, canceling and order and not fulfilling a purchase agreement is wrong. I did email a leader in the company to make him aware of the issue and how his customer service team handled the issue and still has yet to respond to me. If I owned the company, I would want to know how my team handles situations like this. Customer service retains customers. I love dealing with Black Ovis because their customer service is second to none. This was not Black Ovis just to be clear.

Jstumabaugh, in your case, they should honor the posted price. They might be breaking even selling it to you at that price, since their markup is probably 50%, but at least they would be making it right.
If, on the other hand it was an optics company selling Swaro binos, and they left a 0 off of the price, and listed them for $300 instead of $3000, I could see them balking at completing that sale.
2 jackets won't sink the ship, and their honoring the ad would be the right thing for them to do.

cjdewese

WKR
The jacket was shown to have a normal price of $79 and a sale price of $39.50. I was shopping for a new gps and was browsing through the sale page. Saw the jacket deal and figured I could use it. Ordered two, one for me and one for my brother. Took a picture of the jacket to show him the color. I don’t want to flame the company and it wasn’t my intent to “rob” the company. However, canceling and order and not fulfilling a purchase agreement is wrong. I did email a leader in the company to make him aware of the issue and how his customer service team handled the issue and still has yet to respond to me. If I owned the company, I would want to know how my team handles situations like this. Customer service retains customers. I love dealing with Black Ovis because their customer service is second to none. This was not Black Ovis just to be clear.
Losing a future customer over $80 total is stupid, especially when it was your mistake, I don't care what industry or how big you are. Even worse if it's a smaller company needing customers to make ends meet.

sndmn11

WKR
For the $80, and likely not actually losing money, I would have called and asked if you wanted me to honor the price, or if I could give you a $100 gift card in the order and charge the correct price.

CorbLand

WKR
I have been on the other side of this equation for a long time and honestly have been yelled and screamed out for so many things that are not my or the companies fault that I am numb to it.

We had this happen on one of online sales. A 4 was inputted instead of a 6. It caused such a massive overload of sales that the system couldn't keep up with the orders and oversold 100s of the product. We honored the orders that we could but had to cancel the ones that we couldn't fulfil. So many phone calls and being yelled at for that one and I am not even over the online orders.

I have been yelled at for selling items that were brand new in the box that ended up being broken when they got them home. Apparently we should test every item we sell before actually selling it.

Shit happens, people make mistakes on both side of the counter. Its give and take. Unfortunately, people only care when it costs them money. The company has the right to cancel your order at any time and refund you.

For 80 bucks, most would honor it but what if that 80 bucks is across 150 orders or 1500 orders? 80 bucks isnt that much for business but 120000 is a different story.

So, how would I handle it. I would reach out to the company and explain what you feel and see what they do. Don't get mad if they tell you to pound sand because most likely the person you are yelling at doesn't make enough money to care.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I am sorry if this comes off rude but if you love Black Ovis because their customer service is so good, you buy from them regardless of their prices. That is how you repay them for their good customer service. You say that good customer service retains customer but you didn't just order from the company that provides it? Then good customer service doesn't retain customers.

If you want to stick it to companies that provide shitty customer service, you buy from their competitor regardless. Don't ask the competitor to match their price or provide the same service. You look at the shitty customer service company and say "**** you, I will not buy from you regardless of what you do."

WKR
I am sorry if this comes off rude but if you love Black Ovis because their customer service is so good, you buy from them regardless of their prices. That is how you repay them for their good customer service. You say that good customer service retains customer but you didn't just order from the company that provides it? Then good customer service doesn't retain customers.
haha, good catch CorbLand. Customer service obviously didn't retain the customer for Black Ovis... haha.

OP
Jstumbaugh

If you want to stick it to companies that provide shitty customer service, you buy from their competitor regardless. Don't ask the competitor to match their price or provide the same service. You look at the shitty customer service company and say "**** you, I will not buy from you regardless of what you do."
Completely understood. I do try to spread my purchases around to various brands/stores and never would have ever thought that this company would have responded as such with their service. Again, I’m giving them a chance to make it right and hopefully they do.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
“The company has the right to cancel your order at any time and refund you.” @CorbLand is that in the TOS or somewhere in the Checkout process? Seems it would have to be agreed to, otherwise I don’t know how it wouldn’t go against basic contract principles. Advertising, offer at advertised price, acceptance, payment by buyer. Seller is in breach for failing to deliver at that point. What has a buyer agreed to that gives seller a Mulligan?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would just cancel the whole order and let it go. Probably avoid ordering from them again on principle. As I see it, you had an agreed upon price with confirmation, they should have honored their mistake, especially seeing as it is not hundreds of dollars we are talking about. I also do not see it as worth getting bent out of shape over.

Campsaver messed up on a coupon and gave me 20% off a Garmin Fenix 7, their answer was to delay the order rather than own up to the mistake. I knew Garmin does not allow such discounts, so I just canceled the order rather than fighting over it. I would have appreciated a straight forward "we are sorry' approach though. I will only buy from them now if the price is really good and I do not need the item right away.

I once got a $15 ruler for $2 at Office Depot because they mismarked it on the shelf (but not in the computer). I once got a black Friday deal a week after black Friday at Lowe's because they forgot to change the price on the shelf (this was about $60 off a $150 item). Neither time did I have to do more than state that the price on the shelf differed from what the item rung up for.

I paid $1,500 too much for my truck because I did not read the contract as carefully as I should have. I eat that because I agreed to it, even though I did not intend to. If a lie had gotten my agreement, that would be a different story.

WCB

WKR
So the actual sale price was somewhere between $79 and the $39.50 you planned on paying...depending on quantity and other factors I can see both sides. IMO a blanket statement of it being plain and simply wrong is wrong itself.

Also, it is Monday...this happened Friday not sure when the owner of the company or any individual is at the beckon call of 1 individual customer. BUT, maybe he is out for a week or has a stacked schedule for a day or two.
For 80 bucks, most would honor it but what if that 80 bucks is across 150 orders or 1500 orders? 80 bucks isnt that much for business but 120000 is a different story.
Oh man the times I have heard "you are a big company, $100 ($500, $1000, name the amount) won't hurt you...all I buy is your product and I'll tell all my buddies in my club how you screwed me and no one will buy your product again" "I am a loyal customer to you" Just to get product back from the customer in a competitors package and find out they bought it on sale at a going out of business event and also used a factory rebate.

Yeah $100 won't hurt 1 time but 500 times, 100 times they add up. Even more so when it is 100% not the fault of the company (not saying this is the case in this incident).

I have found out and basically knew it before my current line of work that customer loyalty 99% of the time comes with the understanding that the company takes it in the shorts no matter who's issue it really is and the customer gets what THEY DEMAND...hahaha customer loyalty