How to prevent rocker panel chips?

Not sure where to put this one but I was wondering what’s everyone’s go to method to prevent the rocker panels from paint chips. I had a 12’ ram 1500 and never had the issue with mud flaps and running boards. I traded in and bought a 19 2500 that came with an aggressive good year. I installed mud flaps and it had a set of factory running boards installed. Long story short I’m getting a lot of chipping from living on a gravel road. I know the remedy is probably a much less aggressive tire or pave the road but I’m curious to hear what others do with knobby or oversized tires.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Line-X as suggested is good. The clear 'rock chip' film can work depending on thickness [many different options] but turns cloudy when worn; it will also eventually wear away. Be sure your mud flaps are giving you good coverage - even when turning as the rock spray pattern will shift.
Some aftermarket companies have chrome plate that is formed the shape of the rocker.
We raced rally for years and found the gravel pattern under acceleration often hit the mud flaps, redirected back to the road, ricocheted again and wore away the rear door panel and rocker.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Bed liner, clear wrap, vinyl wrap, sliders with tread plates. Those are the options I'm aware of.

Mud flaps should help

MThuntr

WKR
A similar or black bed liner spray does look good to me. I almost did it to my old GMC but it unfortunately died and I went with a new rig. Tempting to do it to my new one.

Previous rigs had mud flaps that were basically destroyed after some time in the Breaks or in the winter when slush freezes to everything and the tire catches the clump and things get ripped out.

I'd never buy a truck with bedliner on the rocker panels. People will use it to hide rust issues. Also avoid any fender flares. Water sits in there and you'll have a year old truck with rust all up under the flares.

+1 on wide coverage mud flaps and running boards though

Those trucks body line rolls under so much.
What flaps did you go with?
Check out the Dura flap Extnded length.
That and a good running board is all you can really do.

WRM

WKR
Get your Sawzall (fresh metal blade) and cut about an inch or so above where you see chips. That should take care of your chip problem for good.

On my '19 Ram, I have the factory deployable running boards that tuck under the truck. They seem to be protecting the rockers pretty well so far. I'm about 1.5 miles off the pavement.

My biggest issue is rocks chipping away the paint on the factory fender flares in the back. My truck is white, but the leading edge of the fender flares are now black. I may just replace with black or remove them completely

rodney482

WKR
Some buddy is a boomer. 🤣

Come on you don't have your wheels camo dipped to match your outfit?
# for the gram
Generation “gender confused” so easy to spot driving around in trucks that look like something I drew up when I was in kindergarten…. Sorry j/k 😘