Tire tread depth for replacement?

TheCougar

WKR
I know the general rules for tire replacement - 2/32 is minimum, but 4/32 is recommended.

Do you guys use any more judicious criteria for off road tires? I’ve got Michelin LTX tires with 70k+ miles and they are still going. I’ve got a road trip to Wyoming that’s 2000 miles one way. I’m just wondering if I should replace my tires now or wait? I’ll definitely replace them by the winter so they are better in the snow and rain. The Michelins wear like a champ and are quiet and efficient, but I don’t like them in the snow and rain. I’m not expecting much rain or any snow on my hunt, but it will be a lot of FS road, gravel road, and some off-road driving. I’ll also have an ATV and I have chains in case there is mud. But I’ve heard Wyoming mud is terrible no matter what. Would you guys replace now or wait until after the hunting trip? I’m inclined to wait, but wanted to get your opinions.

Front set:
5/32 outside third
6/32 middle third
6/32 inside third

Rear set:
6/32 outside third
7/32 middle third
7/32 inside third

Attachments

• DCD6A496-F386-4AC4-B8F3-11C074A38CB8.jpeg
    DCD6A496-F386-4AC4-B8F3-11C074A38CB8.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 427F40D7-A744-4AA9-AD14-9D9B62E840FB.jpeg
    427F40D7-A744-4AA9-AD14-9D9B62E840FB.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 48
I have put on new tires for the winter yet saved the worn ones for the next summer to finish them out. That way I have traction when I need it but am not wasting what I have.

I know some states like washington won't even fix a flat after tires are worn down so far.

It's a feel thing for me. The Goodyear's that came on my truck have 51,000 miles on them. They have plenty of tread remaining above the wear indicators, but they aren't nearly as sure footed as they were. I just ordered some Nitto Highway Grapplers to replace them. Appreciably less expensive than Michelins. The set of Nittos I had on my last truck was great. Durable, quiet, comfy and grippy.

wyosteve

WKR
Even though I think you have enough tread for the trip, given your intended use, I'd replace them unless you have a set of chains along.

Rotate them and put new "shoes" on when you get back. Fronts are going to wear more on the outside edges for obvious reasons.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am around 6/32nds currently, If my guiding schedule was heavy now I would change them, but with a light schedule and minimal off road use I am riding them out!

They still ride smooth and quiet and are all worn evenly.

I run em until there is an issue, tires are spendy! Even formerly cheaper tires are up there in price now!

I have done the two sets thing in the past, but have no room to store them anymore.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I’d probably replace them before the trip. 2000 miles on new tires ahead of the winter is nothing, whereas 2000 miles on worn down tires is a more significant amount of wear relative to their current tread depth. Hope that makes sense.

My thinking is I’d rather go into that trip with full confidence in my brand new tires, than be worrying about how the lower tread depth of the old ones might impact traction and durability, especially if the FS road driving gets rough and rocky or you end up driving through some rain squalls on the highway.

I pretty much use 6/32 as my lower useful limit for tread depth, but I do live in WA and water shedding ability is a year-round concern. 4/32 is ok in dry areas in dry seasons. 2/32 is sketchy as hell. The previously mentioned strategy of replacing now and saving this set to run down next summer is also a good idea.

Most places won’t even rotate worn tires. They want u to buy new ones ya know for safety or something. If I was road tripping I’d get new since u are buying anyway, peace of mind…

Rob5589

WKR
It's time. Especially with a 2k mile trip that will include off road miles. Plus you're asking, so you must have at least some mild concerns. I'm very impressed with the Toyo ATIII I have on my Ram. Great on and off road, wear well, pretty quiet.

TSAMP

WKR
Your being cheap. I did the same thing. I have 6/32" on bfg tires. Heading into season and with a upland trip coming up I just decided to pull the trigger. I'd be buying them in a month anyway like you for winter.

Carr5vols

WKR
Not trying to steal the thread but i found this cut this morning on the tires. Ok for a 3500 mile roundtrip or would you replace them. 20220904_165001.jpg

I'd replace, its no fun having an issue with tires when your 2000 miles from home. Bring chains even with new tires. The roads in Wyoming are no joke when they get wet. You're planning to replace before the winter anyway, I'd have the peace of mind going into this trip.

I do a lot of miles so I have to buy new tires every year. I buy them in september every year. That gives me new rubber for hunt season and fairly fresh tires for winter. My old tires usually have about 35-40% tread so I sell that set of for $200.00 to help offset the new tire cost.

def90

WKR
If it's a road trip go for it, 2000 miles is nothing. If you will be mudding or hitting any snow swap them out.

ToolMann

WKR
Went through the exact same thing 2 years ago before heading up to Montana to hunt. Was going to get snow and knew they'd be below 4/32nd before I'd be heading home. Replaced them before I left. Piece of mind was worth it and was happy with my decision when it snowed for 3 days straight. My wife was happy as well. My Ram 2500 eats tires but my wife says as long as we keep going on adventures she couldn't care less about tire replacement costs.

Yarak

WKR
The wear bars are always a good reminder to replace your tires but common sense will let you live longer
When mine start turning loose on wet pavement I replace them no matter the depth of tread