Where to start upgrading old bow for a beginner.

KneeDeep

FNG
Of the 100's of things you can think about from accessories to form flaws to mental games, it can be REALLY hard to figure out what's holding you back from the next level of accuracy and precision. At your level of performance (softballs at 40 with misses "callable" before you actually score the shot), its going to be different for almost everybody. The real trick is figuring out what your "bottleneck" is personally. Usually, there's some individual part of the process ( including all the equipment, form flaws, mental games) that is causing most of the current imprecision. When you fix that, it'll be something else, and again, until you're a shoot machine and its the tolerances of the manufacturing limit precision. That's why archery is a lifelong game, the search for the bottleneck that is currently limiting your precision is NEVER over because there's alway another (smaller) one when you fix this one.

That said, I'll share a few of my thoughts on how I think about that identifying the current bottleneck that is going to have the most impact on improving precision when I "fix it". First off, early on in your career, hire a coach. It will save you years, potentially decades, of trying new accessories, wondering about form, playing headgames with yourself. It's far far cheaper to work with a coach for 6 months than it is to buy gadgets and accessories for 10 years. That said, it can be so effective it will feel like cheating, and when it's over, you're just going to keep looking for the next bottleneck without the coach anyway!

Next, remember it's alway you, not the bow! It's extremely unlikely that your setup in a shooting machine would shoot softball size groups at 40, it would likely be breaking arrows, even when it's that old. That said, I think there's a few things that you could consider given your current setup, just to take them out of the equation. I'd start with the whisker biscuit and get a drop away. They are simple, require essentially no tuning or timing if you follow the simple instructions for mounting. Next, while it might not work for hunting, I'd add some front and back stabilizer bars with 3-8 oz of weight on the end. Don't bother with anything less than 12" on front or back. The stabilizer weights and position is it's own lifelong game, so don't overthink it at the start, just see if after using the stabilizers your 7th day of shooting with them is better than your groups without them If 7 sessions with them hasn't improved your groups sell them here or on AT to save weight. Third, try shooting with 5-10lbs LESS draw weight. That has improved scores for a lot of guys. And finally, to round out a top four bottleneck hypotheses, buy a new bow with more parallel lims and a LOT less handshock, it will help you with not having your form break down at the shot if your bow doesn't shock your body/mind as much each time you fire.

Anyway, I certainly hope you enjoy the search for your own next bottleneck on precision and I wish you all the fun and success in your journey!

JStol5

WKR
You’re in NorCal- call predator’s archery in Gilroy or West Coast archery in Petaluma. I know that predator’s has reasonably priced consignment bows. I almost bought a 2018 Mathews Vertix with a rest in excellent shape for $500 back in 2020. I would consider that a great deal.

OP
norcalrookie
Thanks for the input guys. Pretty happy with my release for now, I will start looking for a rest and possibly sight that I can use on this bow but with the intention of going on my next one. Mainly I’m gonna keep flinging arrows and focus on building good form and habits.

Your best money will be a few lessons. Have a good instructor help you get settled in. You will see the most at of that then any accessory. But I would change the rest and stabalizer too after I scheduled the lesson.

OP
norcalrookie
Actively in search for some good instruction near me. But I did toss on a qad and a front/sidebar setup. Still playing with weights on the stabs but it already holds insanely better.

Broke two arrows in the first 15 minutes one at 20 and one at 30, I was way too excited after the first broken one to stop shooting groups at that distance, that was dumb. Luckily one of them I think I can cut and refletch but the other is cracked about 3 inches. Now I understand why good shooters are shooting spots not groups. I’m really, really stoked so far (not on being a dummy and breaking arrows, but the shooting lol).

FE29CCF9-B403-4D18-A6A7-3502DF58B428.jpeg
375EDF68-5AB3-42CA-A8FE-4FDCCE1530C1.jpeg

EHolcomb

FNG
Glad I saw this thread. I was debating on trading in my old bow for a newer used one with better accessories but now I think ill just start upgrading and keep the old stuff stashed away for when I do finally upgrade.

OP
norcalrookie
Glad I saw this thread. I was debating on trading in my old bow for a newer used one with better accessories but now I think I’ll just start upgrading and keep the old stuff stashed away for when I do finally upgrade.
That’s what I am doing and it has suited me well. I’ve been practicing a ton but with the addition and fine tuning of stabilizers, the drop away, new sight and some good arrows my shooting has improved greatly. Mainly due to the practice I’m sure but the confidence in my setup I think is also a big factor. In the last few weeks I’ve been to two 3d shoots(west coast safari style so lots of steep uphill/downhill and shots out to 100 yards) the last few weeks where we got to shoot alongside some big names and in no way did I feel under bowed in the slightest. And I’ve got nice accessories to transfer onto the new bow in the future.

Surprised no one has suggested better arrows. Not sure what you are shooting but straighter and more consistent weight and spine do make a difference. The groups you described are better than a lot of people shoot already. I agree with keeping your old accessories if you upgrade anything. I would also hang on to that bow if you get a new one. Sometimes a backup that you know works is a good thing to have.