How many vacation days for out of state hunt?

How many actual hunting days do you need for an out of state hunt (not counting travel)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 4.4%

Votes: 24 26.4%

Votes: 5 5.5%

Votes: 26 28.6%

Votes: 6 6.6%

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 10+

Votes: 23 25.3%

• Total voters

Oregon

WKR
I work from March 1st til Oct 1st.
Off for 5 months straight in the important part of the year.
I highly recommend it.
So, basically, as many as it takes

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm burning 5 days in October for elk, but I'll take more days in the Spring when the real season comes in. Turkey season will get about 10 days with some shift swaps thrown in for good measure because you can't be off enough during turkey season.

ChrisAU

WKR
I left a job where I had 19 days of vacation and 10 holidays for a job where I now have 10 days of vacation and 7 holidays...its tight. But, my previous job 2 out of every 3 falls there would be a 2-3 months stretch where I couldn't take vacation if I wanted to...so its give and take. Will get to 15 days in a couple years. It takes me 6 days to utilize a CO elk season right now, and thats with driving 25 hours non-stop to get there. Really looking forward to being able to do 2nd hunt, probably WY Antelope once I get more vacation days.

For me it depends on what the hunt is (weapon/animal/private vs public), how many people (want everyone to have a decent chance), how long the season is, and the travel required. I'll do up to 2 weeks for some hunts (archery elk hunts) and others I can get done in a few days (rifle deer/antelope). I would rather burn my vacation time on one good hunt. vs. multiple short unsuccessful ones. You can always come home early, if you tag out early!

speters

FNG
Depends on where your OTC in Idaho is. If it's anywhere near Boise don't bother wasting time with scouting. Come opening morning its all out war. I've spent weeks scouting before just to get setup before daylite on opening morning to find myself and 4 other hunters on the same elk. Hell, last year I shot a 6 point bull and then a fraction of a second later another shot rang out hitting the same elk. He let me know he never heard my shot and it was his elk. Keep in mind this was 6 miles in all off trail. The amount of hunters that flood into these areas is unreal.

I've hunted near the road, miles off the road, miles off the trail, taken horses ungodly amounts miles back in to get away from people. In that area it's just not gonna happen so if you're hunting near Boise with OTC just make sure your hunting plan is designed around being shoulder to shoulder with other hunters. Mostly out of state guys and the natives have wised up to this.

Rich M

WKR
It gets funky when folks start talking vacation days and trip length.

When I go out west it is a 2 week trip - wish I could stretch it a few more days. This year is about 25 hours of driving each way. Will have 1 pre-hunt scout/set up camp day. Last time I drove 30 hours each way. No way to take less than 2 weeks without flying.

No way I would "travel" and hunt for less than a week. Some guys will fly across the country and do a DIY bull elk hunt for 3 days. I just can't get my head around that. Hunt 3 days or not at all seems to be the answer and hunting locally evidently doesn't fill the need. The expense and effort warrants more time IMO.

My vacation length is flexible by the wife but set by work. No way I would try to do any more than 2 weeks. It is difficult enough getting things set for my absence and then putting out all the fires when I get back.