Have Your Ever Hired a Babysitter So You Could Hunting?

Kurts86

WKR
So I have 2 kids under the age of 5 and a wife that often works long hours, weekends and is on 24/7 call a week per month. A lot of the childcare falls to me, I cook dinner and do most of the daycare pickup/drop off while also having a career of my own. We live a few hours from family help so it’s available with some planning but it’s not just down the street either.

Since I’ve had kids I’ve managed to keep a week long hunting trip every year but the 1/2 day and full day hunts have been given up. As a result I hunt around 1/3rd the number of days I did before kids.

Over the weekend I had the kids while my wife was working and I wondered if many hunters have hired a babysitter so they could go hunting?

Have any of you hired a babysitter so you could go hunting? If so how did it go?

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I did it one time to go offshore fishing. Never did it again. Felt pretty bad about it, but fortunately my wife didn't give me any heat.

chasewild

WKR
Yup. Sure did. Flew my parents in for a week so wife and I could hunt. Don't feel bad about it either. And you shouldn't feel shamed into letting something (i.e. everything) go when you become a parent.

Edit: And now that I've read your post -- if you're shouldering a bit more of the parenting than your partner, then you should feel even more comfortable doing what you need to be a good dad over the course of their lives.

We used to bring my in laws down while my wife and I were out on 7-10 hunting trips. There is no shame in bringing in hired help once in a while so you can get away.

I’m lucky enough to have in laws for it, and my kids want to go there. Soon they will be old enough to come along but for now they don’t, we do outdoors things designed for them to experience and enjoy.

It’s hard to imagine but I could see it some especially if you have an established sitter. I know my brother in laws daycare teacher does babysitting and the kids have a great time.

I guess some too depends on how often you’re talking. I wouldn’t want to do it all the time and miss out on the kids

Happy parents are better than bitter parents. There’s a balance there where you’re life and there’s are optimized for fulfillment

Definitely a challenge! I have an 8 month old, and am trying to balance this as well. As soon as he is able, I will be trying to take him with me. Of course it may slow things down, but the experience is worth it!

I was chomping at the bit to be anywhere my dad was by the time I was 3. I recall him pulling me up a treestand with a lasso because I was too small to climb (no we didn’t tell mom about that one)…

I may have been tougher than others at that age, or perhaps hard headed. If they show interest, get them started asap! Until then, don’t feel bad about looking for a sitter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Your kids will either hunt or not. You can bring them, and if they have a bad experience or it doesn't work for their personality they won't hunt with you as adults.

I have brought them, but I don't do it anymore.

As a young dad I never did. Rare to get a hunting holiday in the old days. Now I see it as a break.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the mindset that every parent needs a break for self care as well. Yes, when you have children they should be your number 1 priority. Things will be missed (hunting trips, fishing, hangin' with the boys, drinkin' at the bar) and many more examples of things that were enjoyed before having kids. And that's perfectly fine. But you should also be able to enjoy your hobbies/relax as well. As stated, you take on the brunt of the childcare and I respect that to the fullest, but you need a little You time too. If you're getting a sitter every weekend, then I dont agree, but every now and again I see no problem with. When they get older (which is going to be here faster than you think lol) then you can bring them with. Then you really get the best of both worlds.

Yes, I have. It helps that we have a trusted babysitter who the kids love. You sound like a good dad and the fact that you are even considering weather or not you should shows you care about them and value time with them. I have 3 kids under 6, taking them just doesn’t always work. When they are older and probably 1 at a time they will come with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
We have 1 working parent instead of 2 - so our situation is vastly different, but once a year my wife fly's to her parents for my long hunt and I just take the 5 days to myself. Never any longer.

We will also do "gun walks in hunting spots" where I throw our little one in a backpack and hope to spot game to take. The rifle wears a suppressor for these trips so we don't have to fight the kid with ear pro.

That said with a toddler in a backpack there are only 2 hours of time in the hike/sit where it is quiet enough to not spook animals. So it is really just a hike with a gun and a prayer and spending time with family.

We paid my sister to take time off work this year and watch our 3 boys. My wife loves hunting just as much as I do and has had to miss out the last 3 years which has been tough for her. She had a B tag and we glassed up some cows a few miles off and she made a 2-mile stalk herself and tagged out all on her own. Super proud of her and it was well worth the investment for babysitting :)