How Many Stands How Many Acres

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Finally have PP been on it for a season and a half. 100acres probably 80 of its wooded and have power line and logging rds. Will have 9 M150s hung this yr. It's a ton of work alone. Think I will end up w about 13 stands by next yr. Was wondering how I compare on stands per acre to other guys. Thnks

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all relative to the cover, bedding and ample trees.

I now value a fixed stand based on entry/exit more than anything else. Nothing is more important (yes; even location). While having 34 stands and blinds on the family farm, to which 10-15 are moved annually, I’ve got one on the wall from a “fixed” stand there and two from hunting out of a mobile set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all relative to the cover, bedding and ample trees.

I now value a fixed stand based on entry/exit more than anything else. Nothing is more important (yes; even location). While having 34 stands and blinds on the family farm, to which 10-15 are moved annually, I’ve got one on the wall from a “fixed” stand there and two from hunting out of a mobile set.

Damm 34 lol. Ok so 13 on what I got is not over doin it at all. Yes I have a 900ft elevation change n most of my stands r on the ridge instead blowin everything out goin down. How many acres do u have 34 stands/blinds on?

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Damm 34 lol. Ok so 13 on what I got is not over doin it at all. Yes I have a 900ft elevation change n most of my stands r on the ridge instead blowin everything out goin down. How many acres do u have 34 stands/blinds on?

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked out saddle hunting? Unless you’ve already invested in the stands, or even if you already have…worth a look. Gives you a ton of flexibility. Especially considering that you can go in and prune specific trees you like ahead of time.

Btaylor

WKR
We have roughly 750 acres here, try to keep it around 15 semi-permanent stands. But, I mostly hunt from the ground anyway. So any tree is a potential spot to put my back against.
The farm I hunt some is about that size as well and there are 3 redneck style blinds and we have 5-6 spots that are pre-set hang-ons. On a 100 acre tract, I cant imagine needing more than maybe 3-4 sets to see every deer that uses the property.

KHNC

WKR
I have 66 acres, with 10 stands. These are for access from any wind direction. 4-5 of these are primo spots, but i wont hunt them unless i can get to them undetected. I hunt one of the fringe stands otherwise.

WCB

WKR
It all depends on deer movement and how well you scout it. We (dad and I) hunt a farm that is about 170acres with 75 acres of woods. I have 4 stands on it. Not that I couldn't hang more but it would be pointless IMO. We had 6 or 7 at one time but after a couple years we figured out I was actually seeing the same deer as we would in other stands and either 1) they were getting to me later meaning deer moving right at last light weren't to me yet OR 2) I was seeing some of the same deer again just on the other end of the spectrum where I was so close to the bedding I was missing deer that after leaving the bedding area were funneling down towards the middle of the property.

Funny thing is the 4 stand we have now were basically the first 4 we put up based on sign and our gut feelings. Since we dropped the other stands and stopped having so many option of where to sit, our days in the stand have dropped but thats because we are killing nice bucks in those fewer sits. 1 stand location (we did shift the stand about 30 yards but same trail) in the last 4 years has produced our 3 best bucks on the property. My dad killed a 155" 10pt, 164" 10 pt and last year I killed a 176" 12pt. 2 years ago my dad missed two bucks back to back nights both over 150". We know that when the deer are moving on that property and in general when weather time of etc. are conducive to deer movement those are the places to sit. Particularly 1 single stand.

Before that the prior 3 years or so we killed 1 130" buck and had encounters with some giants but they were in stand locations that we have since taken down because they were not as consistent, harder to get in and out of, and very limited on wind direction.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
We have roughly 750 acres here, try to keep it around 15 semi-permanent stands. But, I mostly hunt from the ground anyway. So any tree is a potential spot to put my back against.
U mostly bowhunt from the ground?

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked out saddle hunting? Unless you’ve already invested in the stands, or even if you already have…worth a look. Gives you a ton of flexibility. Especially considering that you can go in and prune specific trees you like ahead of time.

Yes, climbed trees for 20yrs with summit climbers ect. I have 10 permanent M150s and was gonna buy the new beast stand n sticks to run n gun.

ChrisAU

WKR
U mostly bowhunt from the ground?

Bow and rifle. I make my own ground blinds out of natural vegetation from the immediate area where I want to sit down. Only takes a few minutes and sometimes I reuse the same ones a few times. Some broken pine branches in pine woods, some scrub brush in hardwoods, or my favorite, palmetto bush fronds in a swamp works wonders.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
The farm I hunt some is about that size as well and there are 3 redneck style blinds and we have 5-6 spots that are pre-set hang-ons. On a 100 acre tract, I cant imagine needing more than maybe 3-4 sets to see every deer that uses the property.
Sounds about where I'm at. 80 acres of it is hard woods. Will creeks and 900ft elevation change 13 14 would do me great but ones further away I'm afraid of bein stolen.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Bow and rifle. I make my own ground blinds out of natural vegetation from the immediate area where I want to sit down. Only takes a few minutes and sometimes I reuse the same ones a few times. Some broken pine branches in pine woods, some scrub brush in hardwoods, or my favorite, palmetto bush fronds in a swamp works wonders.
I do the same during rifle n turkey season.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I believe in being mobile so I use climbers. If not though I’d def not have that many. 100 acres is small and all spots need rest.

Wolfmann

FNG
Don't mess around with a mobile setup if your on private land. Hang a bunch of stands and have a few in the truck to hang once you start to see the deer movement. I hunt from the ground or mobile setups when I have to. Why would you risk the noise and extra scent of a climber or saddle when you can hang your stands in early august and have them ready to go?

Laramie

WKR
I have 17 stands on just over 400 acres. The vast majority of my bucks have been shot from 3 of them. I use the others for early season does, and for when I bring a guest. A guy absolutely needs to set stands with access in mind. Figure out locations that you can get in and out of without spooking deer.

hntr

FNG
IMO, number of stands is different for every farm. Most important thing is to have stands for different winds, morning stands, and evening stands. Know where they are going early season and late season.

Great responses and the OP got his answer.

Personally, I run a mix of 16 permanent hang-ons and ground blinds on a 115 acres. Locations are determined by wind, historical movement, entry/exit, early vs. late season, food source, water, bedding area, fringe, rut... Every year I think all bases are covered I learn something new. Been hunting the property for 15 years. I started taking my daughters and brother over the last several years, and doing so requires more sets if more than a couple of us are going. I also need optional sets to keep from burning up my best spots.

That all being said, I shot my 2 biggest archery bucks and best muzzleloader buck from the ground without a stand or blind. :LOL: