How many hours per day do you hunt your dog

JD Jones

WKR
Setter. I’ll run her 3 days no issues. more if on a bigger trip. I never really know her mileage but she runs pretty big (not an all age dog big). I just watch her and if she needs a break I leave her in the box

I am retired and down to 1 lab.
I typically hunt every weekday Oct - Dec in MT, typically from sunrise to noon, and we rest on weekends.
I do have a self-imposed limit of one rooster...some days I'll get lucky and she flushes
a second rooster on the hike back to the truck.
Scouts_first_pheasant.jpg

If they are in good shape you can hunt them all day. I am always watching their pads - those seem to wear out before the rest of the dog.

I always question the "all day dogs." How fast can they possibly be moving at the end of an all day run? Is it even fun at that point? For me, if they're slower than 10mph I'll put them up. On a longer trip, with cooler weather, limit runs to 1.5 hours, 2 hours max, and rotate out dogs, resting a dog every third day. That is ideal IMO.

I understand the more versatile breeds don't really fly like pointers or setters, but if they're not moving are they even that effective? Just my $.02, no offense intended.

KurtR

WKR
Most our walks are a half hour at most then a bus ride to the next spot 10-15 minutes. early season water breaks to swim and breaks at the end of a walk to drink and bs. Some of the older labs will get a break if we walk some hard cat tails. Had a yellow dog that never sat out a day in his life even the last day we got to hunt together and i knew we were going in that evening riddled with cancer. Hardest day of guiding i ever had.

ianpadron

WKR
I always question the "all day dogs." How fast can they possibly be moving at the end of an all day run? Is it even fun at that point? For me, if they're slower than 10mph I'll put them up. On a longer trip, with cooler weather, limit runs to 1.5 hours, 2 hours max, and rotate out dogs, resting a dog every third day. That is ideal IMO.

I understand the more versatile breeds don't really fly like pointers or setters, but if they're not moving are they even that effective? Just my $.02, no offense intended.
I'm not calling BS at all but I would like to hunt with one of these dogs that rips at 10-15mph all day.

My little Britt is an absolute rocket ship and I don't think he's ever touched 10mph while actually hunting. 30+mph while chasing the dirt bike, sure.

Maybe that'll change this year on the prairie but in the high desert of WA an ID he's always been a steady 6-7mph dog and I can't imagine him actually hunting any faster without missing big pockets of country.

Macintosh

WKR
If you get used to running your dog all day, and your dog gets used to running all day, most dogs will learn to pace themselves and you will learn to hunt it in a manner that takes best advantage of that pace.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I have a smedium GSP (54lbs) that does 8-10mph for as long as I let him. We did a sage grouse hunt last year and he did a solid 5-6hrs the first day, when we left him in the truck for a morning walk he threw a absolute fit. I booted him up and he did another 4-5hrs that day. Next morning he was roaring to go and did 20+ miles (according to his collar) that morning. He’s got the drive and body size/leg ratio that lets him cruise all day.
He’s an all day, any dog for most folks who really only make a couple hour long walks a day. He can do 20mi/day everyday no sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORHunter

WKR
In Chukar country sometimes it depends on my shooting. If I'm hitting he may only hunt 2-3 hours but if I'm missing he may have to run all day
3c4045b38995a0d711ce32a93295ed94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Mine hunt as long as I do. I run them year round so they never get out of shape. 4 days in a row are the longest stretches I go. They get tired and slow down after a couple days. I get tired and slow down after a couple days.

I don't always keep track, but they probably average 25 miles per day. Though that is heavily dependent on terrain and cover type. Have never measured mph, that doesn't concern me.

I have GSP's. Both of mine are smaller.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Hours vs miles vs terrain, I don't think they're all created equal. I recently hunted Northwoods thick timber. We hunted around 8 hours a day. I was shocked to find all in I only walked 4-5 miles a day average in 50 deg temps. I thought to myself, this dogs going to be annoying in camp tonight. Considering we not a month earlier averaged over double that out west on sharpies in the 60s to 70s with less hours hunted.

After 3 full days my dog was more sore than 5 days out west. Maybe it was the 100+ ticks on him.

yfarm

WKR
Ambient temperature is also a factor. My GSP self regulates, runs for a while then jumps in the ranger when she gets hot. Hunting in the 90s to 100 I keep a close eye on her and rest every 30 minutes or so. Hunted with a quail guide 2 years ago, ran a pointer with a setter in pairs and would switch dogs every hour in 40 degree temps.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Run them as you see fit. Just watch for them quitting. They will find a shady spot and maybe not bring a bird back. At that point, water their groin area and insides of legs. Pouring water on them will cook them like a furnace.

Imo I don't see it necessary to run 8 hours all day. Split those hunts up and you'll have more energy and productive dogs.

Nothing better than hunting behind dogs!