Lava Ridge Wind Project - Wasting 76,000 acres in Idaho.

ZackP

WKR
Hey folks,

Bit of stretch posting this here, but has anyone heard of or looked into the Lava Ridge Wind Project in SE Idaho?

Apparently as part of a renewable energy resource, think “green new deal”… Roughly 76,000 acres of BLM ground will be used to house 400-480 wind turbines for energy.

20-25 acres of that set aside just for the batteries.

But wait.. it gets worse.
Smack dab in two big game units and 2 of my personal favorites. Unit 53 and 52A1.

I personally hunt both of these units every year and have been quite fortunate to harvest many elk in Unit 53, A few mature mule deer in 52A1, and observe very large herds of both elk and mule deer, as well as antelope in both units.

Not only will this wind farm have a direct effect on all of the multiple big game species in these units, it’s also populated with a multitude of bird species including sage grouse.

Now once you get past the hunting outlook on the unit, this will also affect grazing rights for ranchers. Cow and sheep will no longer be able to graze the surrounding area for a certain amount of time.

Add in the hazardous waste from batteries once they finally go bunk (20-25 years).

Seriously… WTF is going on here.. 76,000 acres of BLM ground? How in the HELL is this okay?

Although I’m aware these are very large units, this bothers me to my core, they’re land grabbing this much land.

The company arranging this is a company from Delaware. The power generated will not even be used in the state of Idaho. It’ll stream directly across the border to Nevada(they’re planning on running miles and miles of power lines to Ely, Nevada).

I’m not the best at expressing my views, but what I am is upset. I just want to raise awareness as much as I possibly can (as this seems to have been rather hush hush) and get more outdoorsman and conservationists in the know.

What I do know, is this is extremely unacceptable. Thoughts?

Rokbar

WKR
Wind and solar are not any more forms of green energy than oil! It takes oil to make all the "green" units and as you mentioned about disposing of the batteries and used up mills and panels??? Uh, a company from Delaware?

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Wind and solar are not any more forms of green energy than oil! It takes oil to make all the "green" units and as you mentioned about disposing of the batteries and used up mills and panels??? Uh, a company from Delaware?

“20 full time jobs” is one of their pitches.
Yes, it’s quite a joke once you piece it all together. 700 temporary employees and the 2 closest towns populations put together is probably less than 500 people in total. Not sure how they’re going to keep up with that.

There are a few good pieces of info on it online, a lot of what you can find is in favor of it because of the “energy” it provides though.

CJ19

WKR
Hey folks,

Bit of stretch posting this here, but has anyone heard of or looked into the Lava Ridge Wind Project in SE Idaho?

Apparently as part of a renewable energy resource, think “green new deal”… Roughly 76,000 acres of BLM ground will be used to house 400-480 wind turbines for energy.

20-25 acres of that set aside just for the batteries.

But wait.. it gets worse.
Smack dab in two big game units and 2 of my personal favorites. Unit 53 and 52A1.

I personally hunt both of these units every year and have been quite fortunate to harvest many elk in Unit 53, A few mature mule deer in 52A1, and observe very large herds of both elk and mule deer, as well as antelope in both units.

Not only will this wind farm have a direct effect on all of the multiple big game species in these units, it’s also populated with a multitude of bird species including sage grouse.

Now once you get past the hunting outlook on the unit, this will also affect grazing rights for ranchers. Cow and sheep will no longer be able to graze the surrounding area for a certain amount of time.

Add in the hazardous waste from batteries once they finally go bunk (20-25 years).

Seriously… WTF is going on here.. 76,000 acres of BLM ground? How in the HELL is this okay?

Although I’m aware these are very large units, this bothers me to my core, they’re land grabbing this much land.

The company arranging this is a company from Delaware. The power generated will not even be used in the state of Idaho. It’ll stream directly across the border to Nevada(they’re planning on running miles and miles of power lines to Ely, Nevada).

I’m not the best at expressing my views, but what I am is upset. I just want to raise awareness as much as I possibly can (as this seems to have been rather hush hush) and get more outdoorsman and conservationists in the know.

What I do know, is this is extremely unacceptable. Thoughts?

I don't think you understand. This administration is great for public land hunters.

Jauwater

WKR
Gotta keep the power on to them "Ladies of the Night" establishments. Or maybe it's the prison. Gotta love Ely, Nevada.

Matter of fact, my profile picture was took there.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

CJ19

WKR
Gotta keep the power on to them "Ladies of the Night" establishments. Or maybe it's the prison. Gotta love Ely, Nevada.

Matter of fact, my profile picture was took there.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk
Electric cars. They are saving the planet dont you know.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the link to the project scope summary. I think the acreages are a bit misleading because they are measured like a web and not an area that is encompased by the entire project. I measured it's closer to 164,000 acres to encompase all of it based on their map. The "open space" inbetween the cooridors don't count towards the estimate.

BLM scope document

Some of the statements in the scope document sound outlandish, such as a max ht of 740', which would be among the tallest in the world and their goal to begin producing power by the end of 2024. I don't think they'd meet end of 2024 if the project was already approved and they'd ordered the windmills. I'm an engineer working primarily on the high voltage lines that connect generation to the grid and I don't think you could get the transmission lines in that fast.

FYI, the interconnection has nothing to do with where the power will be used, it's just the closest and easiest place to connect it to the grid and then it will go to wherever the ISO (independant system opperator) sends the power, but more than likely it will all be purchased by CA so they can meet their goals.

Maybe whatever areas of public land they don’t cover with windmills they can cover with solar panels instead. Who needs wildlife habitat anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Here's the link to the project scope summary. I think the acreages are a bit misleading because they are measured like a web and not an area that is encompased by the entire project. I measured it's closer to 164,000 acres to encompase all of it based on their map. The "open space" inbetween the cooridors don't count towards the estimate.

BLM scope document

Some of the statements in the scope document sound outlandish, such as a max ht of 740', which would be among the tallest in the world and their goal to begin producing power by the end of 2024. I don't think they'd meet end of 2024 if the project was already approved and they'd ordered the windmills. I'm an engineer working primarily on the high voltage lines that connect generation to the grid and I don't think you could get the transmission lines in that fast.

FYI, the interconnection has nothing to do with where the power will be used, it's just the closest and easiest place to connect it to the grid and then it will go to wherever the ISO (independant system opperator) sends the power, but more than likely it will all be purchased by CA so they can meet their goals.

164,000 is a whole lot worse then. The area will more than likely be fenced off no? I highly doubt they’re going to want anyone “hunting” now desolate landscape with these expensive piles of garbage at risk of being shot.

Thanks for the info by the way. I highly doubt it would be ready by 2024 as well, but they’ll start construction soon enough and that’s too soon when it comes to this.

Browsing over a few articles it looks like they’re not being contested much. I’m not quite sure where to start, but I want to start somewhere and I suppose that’s why I turned to this forum for suggestions.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
FWIW I contacted a few places for some suggestions, and it may have fallen on deaf ears but I did reach out to First Lite as this is located only about an hour to an hour and a half south of them. I actually reached out to Robby as well and he suggested I bring up the topic here.

Like I said, the more people know what’s being planned, the more people may be concerned and hopefully at the very least start raising eyebrows, or pointing me in the right direction for some resources and a pot to piss in.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR

BLM scope document

Also I kind of figured it wouldn’t be going to Ely as it’s such a small town, California does make a lot of sense. As if it wasn’t bad enough Californians have driven the housing market through the roof in Idaho.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
2FA36573-A877-4C75-99CE-C331A088D2E3.jpeg

Attachments

• EE998B79-86E3-4324-B78C-A68F325E07CA.jpeg
    EE998B79-86E3-4324-B78C-A68F325E07CA.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 78

CJ19

WKR
FWIW I contacted a few places for some suggestions, and it may have fallen on deaf ears but I did reach out to First Lite as this is located only about an hour to an hour and a half south of them. I actually reached out to Robby as well and he suggested I bring up the topic here.

Like I said, the more people know what’s being planned, the more people may be concerned and hopefully at the very least start raising eyebrows, or pointing me in the right direction for some resources and a pot to piss in.
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers sounds like the organization for you. They are as excited to get these windmills and panels on these public lands as you are. A few years back BHA pledged their endorsement to renewable energy developmemt on public land. BHA also endorsed the current presidential administration which is committed to a full transition to renewable energy, of which renewable development of your public land is a big part. They might tell you giving up your hunting spot is small price to pay so they can tell their political allies how committed to fighting climate change they are. Not sure but you can become a member im sure.

Last edited: