How many of each clothing item do you typically bring?

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have been a whitetail treestand hunter my entire life so all of my hunting gear is for bundling up super thick and sitting still all day. I just booked a trip for a newfoundland moose hunt on september 24th and I need to get some new clothes for the trip and need some recommendations. I also hope to hunt brooks range caribou and colorado elk within the next 3 or 4 years so I would like to get stuff that could be used for all of the above.

My main question for this thread is how many of each items do you guys bring on a hunt? I am looking at pricing out a top and bottom base layer, then top and bottom insulation layer and then an outer hard shell/rain gear layer and just one complete pair of clothes is near $1,000. I am sure that I can get away with one good set of rain gear and maybe one good jacket but I really don't know how many pairs of base layers I will need.

Here is what I am looking at buying

Base layer bottoms - Firstlite allegheney 230g
base layer top - Llano 170g merino crew

jacket - kuiu teton or kenai
pants - kuiu attack or firstlite Kanab 2.0

rain gear - undecided

Which of these items should I have multiple of? which of these items do you feel are bad choices? any suggestions?

2-3 pairs of socks, 1 extra set of boxers, 1 set of base layers, 1 mid layer like a wool Chama or Halstead fleece, 1 vest, 1 pant, 1 soft-shell jacket, 1 puffy jacket, and 1 set of rain gear.

1 set of base layers is perfectly fine if you go with FL wool. I wore mine for 10 days straight and they hardly smelled. I use wool boxers and they can last a few days each. The socks you will want to switch out daily. The FL Kanab 2.0 pants are awesome and I wore mine for 10 straight days. A lot of guys just carry a puffy jacket instead of carrying a soft-shell, but I prefer to wear the soft-shell while moving if it is cold or windy. I use the puffy to stay warm while glassing or in camp. The vest is for extra warmth when moving when it is cold, but I doubt you will need that for Newfoundland in September. Any high quality rain gear from First Lite, Kryptek, Kuiu, Sitka, etc will do. Just pick something light enough they you will carry it with you in your pack and durable enough to actually use it without worrying about ripping it to shreds.

I tend to bring 2 "mid layers". I use a merino crew shirt of a lighterweight for base layer, then a heavier merino pull over on top of that (first lite llano right now). Then, I'll have my fleece top over that (first lite halstead tech fleece, or the fleece hoodie). I like having the two mid layers with slightly different weights, each serves a slightly different purpose or I can use them both together. For example, when it's chilly or windy and I'm hiking I'll put the merino 1/4 zip over my base layer and I'm comfortable, but if I use my fleece over my base layer I get too hot while hiking. Other than that I have one down layer with me and my rain layers. I'm not really a soft shell person until it really gets later season with snow and colder temps.

Pants wise I have used both the Attacks and Kanabs. IMO the Kanabs are more of a light-mid season pant, and the Attacks are more of an all season pant. I've used the attacks in the summer and they were warm but with the side zips I could vent fairly well, and I've used them with a merino layer underneath in -10 weather and have been ok as well. However if your looking for a early-mid season pant only I would recommend the Kanabs. So far they seem to dry a bit faster than the attacks did and the merino will hold smell down longer as well. Seems to come down to personal preference though... If you can, pick both up and see what you think about each fit, they are both a bit different.

thanks for the information. It is extremely helpful to get firsthand experience. I never would have thought that the clothing aspect of hunting would become the most confusing to me. I have always been a gear junky when it comes to every hobby I have but I always neglect the clothing side of it. After I have spent a couple months reading on this forum I have came to realize that being able to stay out there warm, dry, and comfortable is more important than anything else.

Consider the corigate guide pants instead of the kanabs, they have been good for me this year. Agree with several pair of socks. I tend to use the 145 weight bottoms and lighter. 230 is for Arctic conditions.

For trips of five days or longer: four pairs of socks and sock liners (wear two each day and dry out the other two), two pairs of underwear, two t-shirts (wool or synthetic), and one of everything else. If I'm under five days I still bring four socks, but drop down to one underwear and t-shirt.

Aside from bringing 2-3 pairs of socks and a spare pair of underwear I typically do just one piece for each layer for warmer (September) seasons... with the exception of an extra ultralight merino shirt and some Ranger panties that I sleep in. Those two things are super light and stay in the tent. It's great to get out of your sweaty clothes and have something dry to hang out and sleep in. Being clammy in a sleeping bag is no fun.

For cooler temps I do a lot like Jordan does and pack two mid layers. Llano or Minaret as my base, then a Chama hoody and a Halstead in the pack depending on temps/activity. Of course I have a light puffy (60g) and a shell as well. For bottoms I only use long underwear when it's ultra cold or I'm sitting a lot... most of the time I'm moving quite a bit.

Hope that helps!

for longer trips- definitely use merino for base layers; if you're backpacking in- one top, one bottom- if you have the luxury of a different mode of transport- two of each

I want my base layers as thin as possible- summer or winter; their role is to move moisture and thin moves better and dries quicker

I almost always pack a mid-layer- typically a hooded mid to heavy weight fleece- my new favorite is the Sitka HvyWeight Core hoody- breathes enough to use on the move in cold weather, provides enough insulation on stops in warmer weather

socks- always two pairs, one pair is reserved for sleeping and always dry, if not backpacking in- probably three pair

insulation layer- it's either going to be down or syn, dry and cool/cold- down; wet- syn- insure it has a nice (adjustable) hood, the weight of this garment is dependent on temps expected- if it's warm, I'll often carry a vest in lieu of a jacket/parka

hard shell- if it's typical western weather a very light hardshell will suffice; if it's a wet environment I want substantial hard shells top and bottom; I also bring a lightweight waterproof pair of mitts- cold, wet hands will quickly ruin your day

pants- I like soft shell pants, weight dependent on temps- they breathe well, buck wind and light moisture and are sturdy

Buff- I don't leave home without one- works as neck gaiter, pulled up over your ears, pot holder, etc

hats/gloves- I always bring a light fleece beanie and light gloves (even in summer); if it's colder I add mittens, warmer hat and balaclava

One of everything, except socks and underwear. I bring two of each. This includes what I am wearing.

Back