Which layer do you put the most importance on?

Which layer is most important to you

• Mid layer

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Puffy

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Base layer

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Pant

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Boot

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Shell/outer layer

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
OP
E
For those of you who have answered so far- does your system change based on pursuit?

For example, I run the exact same baselayers and midlayers for whitetail turkey elk and waterfowl but each pursuit has its own insulation and shell requirements

I'm a fan of thin light baselayers, mid to heavyweight mid layers and if I only ever had 2 to pic it'd be core light weight long sleeve and a core heavy hoody for all endeavors.

Then my choice of pants, insulation and shell may change given the situation..

Boot fit is on a different level of important. Ive gone 5 or so years with the Thor, hundreds of miles and have never had a blister, or even a hot spot I can remember. If its cooler Ill go thicker socks and the Colorado. Baselayers I have dialed it based on temps and I dont feel I can mess that up too bad.

But the midlayer is the decision piece for me. The midlayer is where you make or break comfort level. Usually its the ambient hoody the past 2 years. Sometimes its a kuiu axis or jetstream vest if windstopper is needed.

2-Stix

WKR
My base layer top is the only item that stays the same...most of the time. Ha. Pants, boots, insulation and shell are always changing.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you who have answered so far- does your system change based on pursuit?

Not pursuit, but weather. When the mercury drops a bunch I use heavier base layers, heavier mid-layer and bring a heavier puffy. Pants are heavier as well. Heavier as in warmer (but they are heavier too :D)

Rain in the forecast I bring rain jacket/pants/mitts; no rain I just bring a very light rain jacket.

OP
E
The older I get the more I need a wind blocking layer. I agree with previous posts, once that it on, other layes just work
Thats a really good point. Especially during low level activity hunts like whitetail and waterfowl. I never realized how much it matters but I can get by with less as long as the wind isn't cutting through me and my feet stay warm

OP
E
Boot fit is on a different level of important. Ive gone 5 or so years with the Thor, hundreds of miles and have never had a blister, or even a hot spot I can remember. If its cooler Ill go thicker socks and the Colorado. Baselayers I have dialed it based on temps and I dont feel I can mess that up too bad.

But the midlayer is the decision piece for me. The midlayer is where you make or break comfort level. Usually its the ambient hoody the past 2 years. Sometimes its a kuiu axis or jetstream vest if windstopper is needed.
Can't really beat that ambient hoody for cold weather when you're moving. I started using it for whitetails and it does a great job there as well particularly under a shell like my jetstream or dakota

OP
E
Not pursuit, but weather. When the mercury drops a bunch I use heavier base layers, heavier mid-layer and bring a heavier puffy. Pants are heavier as well. Heavier as in warmer (but they are heavier too :D)

Rain in the forecast I bring rain jacket/pants/mitts; no rain I just bring a very light rain jacket.

Do you ever find your heavier baselayers to not keep you as warm because they hold moisture? That's why I ultimately started using the core lw long sleeve or core lw hoody on every hunt, because it seems to keep me dry and then I last longer before I get chilled. I really like using the core midweight for a next to skin when its really cold and I know I'll be sitting still.

To be fair, that's more for whitetails where I'll be active walking in up to a couple miles and then need to sit still for a while. Out west I can sweat through a base going up hill and then cook it dry under my puffy very quickly so I'm ready to go again when I'm done glassing And I generally don't see the cold weather out there that a lot of you guys do since I'm a september elk guy and I haven't been bit by the rifle bug yet

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ My "heavy" base layers are a mid-weight grid fleece, so breathe pretty well. If the start of my hunt is a steep climb to begin (which is often the case) I might be just wearing the base top on the way—starts miserably cold, then cool and before you know it you're warm :)

I'll add or subtract a mid-layer and/or wind layer as needed. When still hunting slowly (in the cold), I usually have all three on.

OP
E
^ My "heavy" base layers are a mid-weight grid fleece, so breathe pretty well. If the start of my hunt is a steep climb to begin (which is often the case) I might be just wearing the base top on the way—starts miserably cold, then cool and before you know it you're warm :)

I'll add or subtract a mid-layer and/or wind layer as needed. When still hunting slowly (in the cold), I usually have all three on.
You actually taught me that a couple years back. I was starting off fully dressed and then sweating everything out, and by the time I'd have made it 400 yards up hill I'd be dead, sweaty and then I'd have to stop to strip layers. Now I start cold, even for whitetails and layer when I get to my destination or when I slowdown. It's been a game changer for me

AK EricB

FNG
First, boot, then hard shell/rain gear outer for SE Alaska. Running Crispi Colorado GTX for alpine hunting and KUIU raingear. bullet proof so far.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Cold weather - puffy/insulating layer
Wet weather - shell/outer layer
Warm weather - base layer

OP
E
First, boot, then hard shell/rain gear outer for SE Alaska. Running Crispi Colorado GTX for alpine hunting and KUIU raingear. bullet proof so far.
Yeah I bet your location really changes your need for good rain gear... I had my first spoonful of needing good rain gear this year in Colorado and I'm darn glad I had it