Which layer do you put the most importance on?

Which layer is most important to you

• Mid layer

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Puffy

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Base layer

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Pant

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Boot

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Shell/outer layer

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters

Matt5266

WKR
Definitely boots. I spent many years hunting in blue jeans, cotton drawers and a flannel. I got it done..... however if my feet hurt or get soaked I'm done.... well I've still stayed but it's been miserable. So boots for sure

OP
E
Nunatak custom made me a coat. Save your dollars and sell all your other puffys.
I can't give up my cheap synthetics since all the higher end ones tend to have lighter denier nylon fabrics that end up being louder than the polyester used in cheapos. I hear amazing things about nunatek and being able to custom order what you want is incredible!
I just don't need an ultra ultra light puffy for what I do most

OP
E
While all are obviously important, boots easily are the most likely to make or break a hunt. Seems they are the most individual to a person and thus usually tougher to dial in- once dialed though you're golden :)
What's your go to boot? I found crispis to fit me the best but I'm always looking for my next pair!

OP
E
sitka ambient, paired with EVO is covers a wide active temp range. I carried/wore combo from 18 to 80degree

Base-kuiu 120 base
Mid- ambient hoody
outter/rain/wind- Stika EVO
-puffy-mountain hardware ghost whisper

-early season rain, stika evo
-late season rain/snow SG m7
How do you like that mh ghost whisperer? I see them pop up on sale all he time but I've never had them. My favorite cheap mid layer I have right now is a mH grid fleece that really turned me on to the company

OP
E
I've gotta say the OP baselayer commentary is spot on for me. If your multi day backpack hunting I can see some reasons for synthetic vs merino etc. But day trip stuff I am rocking a t shirt more times than not. It also just feels stupid stripping down to pile on the gear to go on a 4 hr deer hunt in the back 40.

I think the mountain/backcountry crowd obviously has a diff perspective, rightfully so.
I still throw on the outer layers but a lot of my deer hunts have been coming from work so I wear what I wore to work!

Full disclosure though I'm a 365 gear whore so I often wear a good baselayer and a midlayerto work and some wrangler atg pants so I always look like I might be headed hunting because I usually am hahaha

OP
E
Spent the most time and money - boots
Purchased the most - pants
Least negotiable - shell

Honestly, you forgot a category - socks.
I consider socks as part of my baselayer but that's a great point. Socks matter a ton and I spent too much money trying different ones before I found what my feet like.

What boots are you running and what pants did you find that you liked?

My only shell layers are a sitka jetstream, pnuma rain gear and a marmot precip jacket. Not a lot of need for a really good hard shell yet but I'm sure I could be persuaded

OP
E
Definitely boots. I spent many years hunting in blue jeans, cotton drawers and a flannel. I got it done..... however if my feet hurt or get soaked I'm done.... well I've still stayed but it's been miserable. So boots for sure
My first elk hunt ever was bloody and not from killing elk. I sucked it up for 7 days and my feet took months to heal. I retore the healing skin a month and a half later antelope hunting when I had to run like hell to cut off a pair of bucks.

I got my buck before he crossed off the public I could hunt though, and it was a hell of a story.

OP
E
I consider boots their own category so I will say mid layer. Situation might call for a fleece, wind shell, active insulation or no mid layer at all. Big difference in having the right vs wrong type.
I feel the same. Mid layers make the difference for me personally. The wrong one can make me hold moisture and be so uncomfortable

Matt5266

WKR
My first elk hunt ever was bloody and not from killing elk. I sucked it up for 7 days and my feet took months to heal. I retore the healing skin a month and a half later antelope hunting when I had to run like hell to cut off a pair of bucks.

I got my buck before he crossed off the public I could hunt though, and it was a hell of a story.
Dang haha I can manage it for a few days with sore feet, but a week with them bloodied, hell no

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge believer in investing as much as you can on good, comfortable boots and good wool socks. As most have, I've tinkered with clothing, different base layers, mid layers, etc. My biggest issue is that it doesn't take much for me to start sweating, and because of that, I tend to wear less layers than I probably should.

OP
E
Dang haha I can manage it for a few days with sore feet, but a week with them bloodied, hell no
It was my first ever trip out west and I wasn't going to give up. Every night I'd take my boots off and do everything I could to not look at my feet so I didn't have to see it so it wouldn't weigh on my mind

OP
E
I chose a puffy, as it is what will keep me warm. I almost chose boots, but I have that one figured out for me. A puffy that will keep me warm and dry has been quite the search.
I wish I'd have bought a kelvin ws for this exact reason.

OP
E
I'm a huge believer in investing as much as you can on good, comfortable boots and good wool socks. As most have, I've tinkered with clothing, different base layers, mid layers, etc. My biggest issue is that it doesn't take much for me to start sweating, and because of that, I tend to wear less layers than I probably should.
I used to over dress so bad and even on a short walk just end up sweating my butt off. Now I end up in my base layer and mid layer basically no matter how cold the weather and I don't end up sweating nearly as much

pugwylde

FNG
I consider socks as part of my baselayer but that's a great point. Socks matter a ton and I spent too much money trying different ones before I found what my feet like.

What boots are you running and what pants did you find that you liked?

My only shell layers are a sitka jetstream, pnuma rain gear and a marmot precip jacket. Not a lot of need for a really good hard shell yet but I'm sure I could be persuaded
My latest pair of boots are some Crispi Lapponia II, which have been excellent for my feet on backpacking trips. I like to backpack hunt, and they are the most stable platform I've used thus far.

The pants I keep coming back to are the Sitka Mountain Pants. They are too hot for early season hunts, but they are bullet proof. Not gonna lie, those kneepads are a life saver for someone who's had surgery before.

My non-negotiable shell is the Sitka Mountain Evo. I've worn it for every season thus far and, for anything other than midday early season, in bringing it. I'll adjust base/mid layers around it, before thinking about leaving it home.

Darn Tough makes the best socks. Plus, the warranty is real, verified by experience.