When do you hood when layering?

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Stopped wearing hoodies when I got out of high-school.

Puffy and rain jacket have a hood, otherwise I'm reaching for my beanie or ball cap.

I've never tried a hooded baselayer though

*zap*

WKR
as others have said the ease of body heat retention via putting a hood up is unbeatable but I also have many layers which are hoodless. Stuff used mostly as mid layers for sure. You can also get a down balaclava and stick it in a pocket...I have one and it is very good especially for sleeping on cold nights. Mine is from goosefeet gear and you can get is with overfill....my favorite piece is peloton 97 w hood.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been a no hood guy except on my rain jacket. Over the winter I picked up a lightweight fleece layering 1/4 zip with hood. Worn it on a couple bear hunts........ never came off.

Love it, wish I had tried one sooner.

Last edited:
If it's warm I've got three hoods available. Sitka Lightweight hoody, Sitka Heavy Weight hoody, and rain gear. The lightweight hood is barely noticeable when stacking other layers.

When it gets cold I switch out the heavy weight hoody with a mid layer that doesn't have a hood and then add the Jetstream (hooded).

Rob5589

WKR
Not a huge fan, my big dome gets too hot. My grid fleece has one which I do use occasionally. Jacket has one I never use.

EdP

WKR
Midlayers and out for me because sometimes a vest and midlayer and a shell is enough if the midlayer has a hood. I wish the mfgs would make the hoods zip off to address the bulk problem when wearing outer layers.

jeedo

FNG
If I'm moving a lot, layers will be taken on and off, and I will opt for no hoods except rain jacket. For glassing, camping, travel, etc. I like to have a hood on my insulating layer to be cozy.

K_pem

WKR
Mine changes every trip out depending on the conditions and layers I choose but id say generally:
Hoodless Base
Hooded Mid
Hoodless vest or second mid (colder seasons)
Hooded Insulation
Hooded Rain

Obviously subject to change if its 90 degrees and sunny in august/early September. Then I'm only in one hooded base. But never less than 2 with me and never more than 3 worn at a time.

Macintosh

WKR
2 hoods at a time is my rule, generally both on items that are likely to be outer layers. In warm wx that might be a sun hoody/base layer and a light puffy. In cold weather where I live its never a base layer, its usually a puffy and a rain shell. I agree for cold wx the base layer hood is warm, I just get the same effect with better versatility and lower bulk by using a light balaclava and/or neck gaiter/buff.