Rain Jacket or Softshell, 2nd Rifle Colorado?

mww982

WKR
I need to add an outer layer to my clothing system. I think I am pretty set on my base layer, mid-layers, and insulation layer. However, I am lacking in an outer layer. I have a cheaper set of Badlands rain gear that is fine for deer hunting but looking for something better. I initially was thinking about adding an Axis-Hybrid Jacket to the mix but thinking rain gear may be a better choice. If rain gear I'm looking at the Kuiu Storm Shell, First Lite Omen Stormshelter and the XKG Paramount. I get a better discount on the First Lite and XKG than the Kuiu.

Would you rather add a soft shell or rain gear if you were me?

What type of hunt? If truck camping, either would do. If you’re living out of a backpack for a few days at a time, no question I’d go with a rain jacket.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
What type of hunt? If truck camping, either would do. If you’re living out of a backpack for a few days at a time, no question I’d go with a rain jacket.
We're going to set up a truck camp as base camp. However, we will spike out for a few days if we get into some animals and go back to the camp as needed.

Prob soft shell. But have backup @ the truck in case weather changes. Just keep an eye on wx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enbhunts

FNG
Depends on comfort level, and the amount of moisture you might encounter. I've found a lightweight rain shell to be enough for me with my layer system, even in 2nd season. Softshell would give more insulation against cold probably.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Depends on comfort level, and the amount of moisture you might encounter. I've found a lightweight rain shell to be enough for me with my layer system, even in 2nd season. Softshell would give more insulation against cold probably.
I don't mind the cold, especially if I am moving. It's when I am stationary for extended periods that can be the issue. So, I was thinking rain jacket may be the ticket. I'd layer First Lite Wick Crew, Kuiu Pro Merino 200, Kuiu Peloton 97 or Stongfleece 280 if moving. Then add Kings Camo Transition Down Puffy and Rain Jacket as tops. Bottoms would be Kuiu Pro Merino 200 zip-off base layer, Kuiu Axis Hybrid Pants. Puffy an Rain pants as needed.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Yea, I even have to layer less than you while moving. I've found first lites Sawtooth hybrid jacket to be great for me, with just a wick underneath it. Nice and temp regulating, and can still put a rain shell over it if stationary and glassing.

Heck, I may even be too hot in that if moving and will shed some layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro