When do you hood when layering?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoods on my base, mid, shell and insulation is either way.

Not a hood guy but will tolerate one on the outer layer or rain shell. Removable is optimal for me.
I will admit to pulling up my hood when the wind is blowing and is cold and wet. I cant see myself ever going with multiple hoods. I dont even own a hoodie sweatshirt for casual wear.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In looking up hunting layering systems I noticed that pretty much every level of layering from base to mid to jacket to rain gear has hooded and non-hooded options. That raises the question of what layers do you typically get with a hood? It gets uncomfortable stacking hoods on one hand but you want to keep your head warm.

Personally, I use a merino balaclava with my merino base layer, a hooded KUIU Peloton 240 hoodie, a synthetic puffy jacket with no hood and of course hooded raingear.

What combination are you guys using?

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've always been a no hood guy except on my rain jacket. Over the winter I picked up a lightweight fleece layering 1/4 zip with hood. Worn it on a couple bear hunts........ never came off.

Love it, wish I had tried one sooner.

No hoods here except on the rain jacket, which I rarely wear. I prefer to use beanies, neck gaiters, and my FL Tundra Balaclava when it gets really cold.

jpmulk

WKR
My insulation layer and my base layer have hoods. Pretty happy with that. Keeps me warm