How do grizzly bears taste?

gtriple

WKR
I've thoroughly enjoyed black bear meat, but I'm wondering how grizzly/brown bear meat is. I assume (maybe incorrectly) they eat a lot more meat than a black bear, so the meat might be more gamey. Is that true?

Is there a big difference for mountain grizz vs coastal brown?

I've thoroughly enjoyed black bear meat, but I'm wondering how grizzly/brown bear meat is. I assume (maybe incorrectly) they eat a lot more meat than a black bear, so the meat might be more gamey. Is that true?

Is there a big difference for mountain grizz vs coastal brown?
Hope you`re cooking the ever lovin` hell out of that bear meat. If you haven`t already, look up Trichinella spralis.

VernAK

WKR
depends on that bear's access to salmon. Interior mountain griz that I've tasted was surprisingly good smoked and canned. Others I've smelled while skinning and thought "no way I'm trying that."
I've ate a bit of fall interior grizzly but being aware that it may have been feeding on carrion rather that just blueberries turned me off. While skinning, some smell like they've been around something dead. My buddies cut off some loin to eat but I went down to the creek and caught a few grayling for dinner.

MThuntr

WKR
depends on that bear's access to salmon. Interior mountain griz that I've tasted was surprisingly good smoked and canned. Others I've smelled while skinning and thought "no way I'm trying that."
This would be my thoughts as well.

Coastal black bears start getting into the salmon and even the regs say you don't need to keep the meat. Before that when they're feeding on mussels, grass, and berries I think they're delicious.

If you're properly cooking your meat, it's not really a concern that should keep anyone from trying bear. Trichinella spiralis die at 145 deg.
Absolutely. That`s what I`m saying. Not discouraging anyone from trying bear, although I think I`d shy away from a medium rare bear steak!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Grind it up.

Well done steaks that taste like gamey chicken wasn’t for me (my sample of one, may not be a true testament though).

The natives in southwestern Alaska won’t eat coastal brownies. That should tell you all you need to know about coastal brownies.

Interier brown/grizzley I’ve been told is decent.

I’ve yet to try interior brown/grizzley.

Funny story:
Was in a southwestern Alaska village and someone DLP’d a brownie. We decided to harvest the meat. As we are cutting it up, this old native guy came by and asked what we were doing (bunch of white teachers) and we told him. He shook his head and mumbled: savages. You are savages. And he laughed as he walked away.

No amount of seasoning made that meat taste good.

I learned my lesson. If the natives don’t eat it, you don’t eat it.

KHNC

WKR
The natives in southwestern Alaska won’t eat coastal brownies. That should tell you all you need to know about coastal brownies.

Interier brown/grizzley I’ve been told is decent.

I’ve yet to try interior brown/grizzley.

Funny story:
Was in a southwestern Alaska village and someone DLP’d a brownie. We decided to harvest the meat. As we are cutting it up, this old native guy came by and asked what we were doing (bunch of white teachers) and we told him. He shook his head and mumbled: savages. You are savages. And he laughed as he walked away.

No amount of seasoning made that meat taste good.

I learned my lesson. If the natives don’t eat it, you don’t eat it.
In Saskatchewan the bear outfitter we used had a big hole for bear carcasses. The wolves came in and fed on them regularly.

In Saskatchewan the bear outfitter we used had a big hole for bear carcasses. The wolves came in and fed on them regularly.
So, is any meat at all being harvested from the bears? Are they being shot for their heads, or their claws, or what? Maybe their hides for a trophy/rug?

KHNC

WKR
So, is any meat at all being harvested from the bears? Are they being shot for their heads, or their claws, or what? Maybe their hides for a trophy/rug?
Anti hunters dream location. Are you a PETA member? Bears were shot for their Skulls, Hides, claws and pictures. Bears still have to be managed and the law doesnt require them to be processed to eat in Sask. We ate some backstraps a time or two. Tasted like crap in my opinion. Not nearly as good as a young coyote.