2024 Grizzly Hunt Alaska

eamyrick

WKR
Tickets and guide are booked. Headed to the Alaska Range for an Interior Grizz hunt late August 2024. Trip will be 8 nights, 9 days. After a fly fishing float trip in 2021 I knew I had to get back for a hunt and with NR Caribou on the mend, interior Grizz seemed like a good choice for an adventure of a lifetime.

I’m going to get the pack back on in the next couple of weeks and try and get regular 60-65lb training hikes in and a few days of heavy pack work. I’ve almost finalized my gear list, just working on some of the weights.

Items I haven’t decided on:
-Tikka or Brown Precision Model 70 in 30-06. Current plan is to shoot Barnes 180 TTSX. They both shoot Barnes great.
-G23 with RMR and Buffalo bore. Still on the fence whether this is coming along with the rifle but I sure do feel better always having instant access (3lb weight penalty).
-Big Agnes Mica Basin Chair. I take this thing everywhere and can’t imagine not having it at camp at night. I’ve had lighter weight chairs but the Big Agnes is the only thing I’ve found comfortable at 6’3.
-Bivy? (Layers and Bivy seem like they may be forecast dependent)
-Battery Bank. Plan to get a new bank and upgrade iPhone before the trip to get more out of my battery. My older bank is probably 7 years old.

Check out my pack and let me know what you think:

Taxidermy-Talked to several places at DSC and Woods and Water out of Conroe seemed to have the best prices for rugs.

I’m also getting a Black Bear tag but haven’t decided which order I’d be comfortable shooting one since Grizz is the goal and dealing with hide and Black Bear meat will take time away from Grizz. After Grizz, I may just go Grayling fishing.

If you have any Interior Grizz hunt photos or tips please drop them in the thread.

I assume this will be glassing for a bear eating berries? I haven't got a grizzly that way yet but have done black bears. I'd expect a lot of glassing then moving quickly. Think about your overall system as "how can I grab everything, chase a bear and be ready for a shot quickly." Bears don't typically sit still. Get in shape and put thought into what you want in your hunting pack. I'd be tempted to ditch the Glock for that reason. Grab a 12oz bear spray in Alaska as a compromise. From the interior bears I've seen I think a 30-06 you shoot well is a good choose. Not sure about Barnes though. I think a softer bullet would be fine.

I like 100% DEET. But it's nasty stuff. I try to buy the bottles that have an attached flip cap so there is less chance of it leaking out.

Have fun. Rowdy at woods and waters has done all my taxidermy work. He currently has my interior grizz from last year.

I have no professional guiding experience nor have i done a guided hunt before.. these are questions that I have seen and are a daily common ask. Or have read/listened to folks talk about.
- do you need your own spotter for the guided part? Guide should have what you need. (Ask them obviously).. unless the plan is to go diy black bear afterwords
- do you need to bring your own tent, or want to bring your own tent ? Again. Guide usually provides shelter. Converse with them.
- silky saw, what purpose does this fill?; potentially not needed.

Ask your guide, communication is key. I'm sure they would want more questions than no questions and you come totally unprepared.

I have no professional guiding experience nor have i done a guided hunt before.. these are questions that I have seen and are a daily common ask. Or have read/listened to folks talk about.
- do you need your own spotter for the guided part? Guide should have what you need. (Ask them obviously).. unless the plan is to go diy black bear afterwords
- do you need to bring your own tent, or want to bring your own tent ? Again. Guide usually provides shelter. Converse with them.
- silky saw, what purpose does this fill?; potentially not needed.

Ask your guide, communication is key. I'm sure they would want more questions than no questions and you come totally unprepared.
Some great points. I’m 6’3 205lbs and it’s takes a 3-4 man tent for me and someone else. I’ve done a fair amount of trips in a two man tipi with my buddy and realize there are downsides to sharing a tent and sleep just isn’t as good. For 8 nights I’d much rather take the pound or so weight penalty over a quality 3-4 man tent and have good sleep.

As for the spotter, since this isn’t sheep, finding and judging animals is a big part of the trip. I’m on the fence but I’d rather be an asset 100% of the time leading to a successful hunt vs depending on the guide. I took the ATC to Colorado for Mule Deer this year and you can really work an area over with it. I don’t notice any fatigue over my 10x42 bunis

I went on a week long float trip in AK 2 years ago and the saw was worth its weight in gold for moving good logs to burn. I may not bring it but I’m not sure there is a backcountry trip where I haven’t used it.

You're in for a good adventure :)

I passed on a big interior grizzly on my sheep hunt last year, the next evening (late) we spotted an even bigger one that I wasn't going to pass, but was late enough we couldn't make a play on it. We were up at 3:30 AM and couldn't glass him up and eventually ran out of time that day (had to fly out the next morning). It was definitely exciting!

I brought my own spotter and was glad I did; one— I didn't have to bug the guide to look through his and two— I spotted one grizzly before the guide did and a couple of times I located one we had already spotted but had moved.

After three days of spotting grizzlies (and a few black bears) my spotting game definitely was up a couple of notches :)

I'm assuming you're bringing the lighter tripod (632)?; that should be plenty for 10x42's and a ATC.

I brought a 2 liter Platypus bottle, never needed it-two Nalgenes were enough, but it rolls up to nothing and weighs a couple of ounces- worth the insurance for me.

You have gloves at 0 oz, I'd definitely bring a lightweight pair of gloves.

Looking forward to the trip report!

You're in for a good adventure :)

I passed on a big interior grizzly on my sheep hunt last year, the next evening (late) we spotted an even bigger one that I wasn't going to pass, but was late enough we couldn't make a play on it. We were up at 3:30 AM and couldn't glass him up and eventually ran out of time that day (had to fly out the next morning). It was definitely exciting!

I brought my own spotter and was glad I did; one— I didn't have to bug the guide to look through his and two— I spotted one grizzly before the guide did and a couple of times I located one we had already spotted but had moved.

After three days of spotting grizzlies (and a few black bears) my spotting game definitely was up a couple of notches :)

I'm assuming you're bringing the lighter tripod (632)?; that should be plenty for 10x42's and a ATC.

I brought a 2 liter Platypus bottle, never needed it-two Nalgenes were enough, but it rolls up to nothing and weighs a couple of ounces- worth the insurance for me.

You have gloves at 0 oz, I'd definitely bring a lightweight pair of gloves.

Looking forward to the trip report!
Thanks Mike. Yep got the Slick 632 in this week and it will make the trip. Going to use an Xtherm size large for pad, and I absolutely will add gloves.

Some great points. I’m 6’3 205lbs and it’s takes a 3-4 man tent for me and someone else. I’ve done a fair amount of trips in a two man tipi with my buddy and realize there are downsides to sharing a tent and sleep just isn’t as good. For 8 nights I’d much rather take the pound or so weight penalty over a quality 3-4 man tent and have good sleep.

As for the spotter, since this isn’t sheep, finding and judging animals is a big part of the trip. I’m on the fence but I’d rather be an asset 100% of the time leading to a successful hunt vs depending on the guide. I took the ATC to Colorado for Mule Deer this year and you can really work an area over with it. I don’t notice any fatigue over my 10x42 bunis

I went on a week long float trip in AK 2 years ago and the saw was worth its weight in gold for moving good logs to burn. I may not bring it but I’m not sure there is a backcountry trip where I haven’t used it.
I can get behind the spotter, tent and saw logic. Just figured I'd ask those questions. If you're doing a fly out hunt. See if there is a weight limit for bags. I'm 6'2 215 so I understand your struggles with tents I run a SO silvertip and I make it work for me 😅. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things otherwise. Some big chonkers up there.

Back