How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

The Guide

WKR
Trust me, the two LGS claim that no one is buying 6.5s. There are Tikkas in 6.5 on the shelves too. And trust me, right or wrong, most guys (as in nearly all) are shooting Rugers and Savages in south Appalachia, mostly in 308 or 243 with Leupolds. Not that it would pass the Rokslide approval, but there are many animals killed.
When you first mentioned it, i though you were going to be selling a Tikka and i definitely would have bought it. I probably would have bought it if it was a Ruger American Predator but the Hawkeye just isn't my jam. My brother has had 2 of them (a 243 and a 6.5CM) and neither felt as good in the hand or shot as well as the cheaper model. They were ammo picky too. Just my experience with them.

Jay

OP
menhaden_man
Most guys around here won’t spend more than $700 for a scoped rifle. Definitely not rockslide money in most parts. Ruger american with a vortex diamondback is the standard when you get to towns with not much work or money to go around.

Most guys around here won’t spend more than $700 for a scoped rifle. Definitely not rockslide money in most parts. Ruger american with a vortex diamondback is the standard when you get to towns with not much work or money to go around.
Live in Georgia outside of Savannah. Asked the gun counter guy at our local PSA as to what brand of " traditional " hunting style rifles they sold the most. Guy didn`t hesitate. " Savage ". Tikkas are very nice rifles ( just bought a Super Varmint in 6.5 CM that shoots great ) but they run higher price wise than a lot of folks can afford.

@Turkeytider has it right. Savage and River dominate bolt gun sales in the south.
Well, they afford a lot of folks of modest means an opportunity to have a rifle that, while not as finely engineered as a Tikka perhaps, will put metal on target and meat on the table. Maybe I just lucked out, but I have to say that my 110 Storm in .223 has an action that is as smooth as my new Tikka, both in bolt slide and lift. That may change as the Tikka wears in a bit. I was very surprised. An oversized bolt knob certainly helped!

KenLee

WKR
I don't think I've ever actually seen a Fanboi simping for 6.5 Creedmoors. I think it's a made up trope by those who want an excuse to hate it for no valid reason.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Oh I saw and heard the fanboi simp. 4 local guys were diehard simps. Funny that they still lost plenty of deer and I ended up buying 2 of the 4 rifles for a song. They moved on to some of the PRC.

KenLee

WKR
Trust me, the two LGS claim that no one is buying 6.5s. There are Tikkas in 6.5 on the shelves too. And trust me, right or wrong, most guys (as in nearly all) are shooting Rugers and Savages in south Appalachia, mostly in 308 or 243 with Leupolds. Not that it would pass the Rokslide approval, but there are many animals killed.
90% of your neighbors see Ruger and think the price is insane. They can't see past a $300 Ruger American to even look at your nice rifle.

Hnthrdr

WKR
90% of your neighbors see Ruger and think the price is insane. They can't see past a $300 Ruger American to even look at your nice rifle.
probably true, and tbh the ruger American has its faults, but for the price point ruger put together a great little rifle. Not sure if the gen ii models are carrying on the tradition but the gen i’s lots were shooters right out of the box

KenLee

WKR
probably true, and tbh the ruger American has its faults, but for the price point ruger put together a great little rifle. Not sure if the gen ii models are carrying on the tradition but the gen i’s lots were shooters right out of the box
The gen 1 RA kick like a pissed off mule. I'm usually not one that minds recoil, but I'm not gonna shoot a 243 that kicks like a 308, or 30-06 that kicks like a 300wm.
Most are accurate shooters though

Hnthrdr

WKR
The gen 1 RA kick like a pissed off mule. I'm usually not one that minds recoil, but I'm not gonna shoot a 243 that kicks like a 308, or 30-06 that kicks like a 300wm.
My only experience with a gen 1 was .223 so I never picked up on that feature

Blurred

FNG
I’m sure it’s the 6.5cm that no one is interested in, and not the Ruger…..
Haha. Hi Form.
You've raised me out of lurker status....10 years and my first post is to you. Heh. I've listened to your pod with the Exo guys probably 5 times. Thank God someone has delved into the facts and thrown myths and wives tales out the window. You raise so many great points , and many things I hadn't considered before.... My intent isn't to derail this thread but I can't send you a pm and I don't have your email address. What's the best way to get a hold of you? Thanks and ++++ thanks for dragging the hunting/shooting world into the year 2024.....it's LONG been due, and about the last of all things to arrive.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is here to stay just most people now have one so less are selling. I personally do not I went with 6.5prc just to be different and waste more money…..

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 30-06 that my brother bought from a guy a work for $150. My little brother is 6'3" and 290 pounds of muscle and beer belly. His word were "this SOB kicks harder than my 300 win mag" I didn't believe him and tried it out, he wasn't wrong. He sold it to some poor soul for $200 and was happy.

khuber84

WKR
I shot a 30-06 that my brother bought from a guy a work for $150. My little brother is 6'3" and 290 pounds of muscle and beer belly. His word were "this SOB kicks harder than my 300 win mag" I didn't believe him and tried it out, he wasn't wrong. He sold it to some poor soul for $200 and was happy.
Poor stock ergos will do this. Take a look at the Weatherby Camilla rifle, worst ergos ever, and it's supposed to be for women. Who are generally recoil sensitive.

KenLee

WKR
Yes sir. I sold an 06 to a 325 pound guy. Told him it was a beast. He laughed at me. At that time, i weighed 172 pounds. He called me a week later wanting to bring it back bc it hurt him. Uh, no!