How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

Yea, the 6.5 creedmoor hasn’t gone anywhere.

My friend owns a LGS. He tells me he sells 5 6.5 CMs to every one of any other caliber. Says 308 is about the only thing that even competes with sales. This is hunting rifles. He’s owned this gun store for 30 yrs and he said he thought the 6.5 fad would have died off within a couple years but he admits he was way wrong.

OP
menhaden_man
Definitely sounds like a regional thing. They just aren’t selling at our LGS in north Georgia

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yea, the 6.5 creedmoor hasn’t gone anywhere.

My friend owns a LGS. He tells me he sells 5 6.5 CMs to every one of any other caliber. Says 308 is about the only thing that even competes with sales. This is hunting rifles. He’s owned this gun store for 30 yrs and he said he thought the 6.5 fad would have died off within a couple years but he admits he was way wrong.
I buy all my ammo in bulk now that I don't reload anymore...

While here in Wyoming I went to two large gun stores. They said 6.5CM and 6.5PRC sell the most rifle ammo by far. Followed by .308, 7mm MAG, and .243.

Fallen off a cliff?? Just last year my local hunting group on Facebook was full of people trying to find ammo because no one could keep it on the shelf.

I've watched more Seekins Havaks in 6.5 CM move through my local shop than anything else.

Every time I'm on the range there's at least 1 guy shooting a Creed.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fallen off a cliff?? Just last year my local hunting group on Facebook was full of people trying to find ammo because no one could keep it on the shelf.

I've watched more Seekins Havaks in 6.5 CM move through my local shop than anything else.

Every time I'm on the range there's at least 1 guy shooting a Creed.
Got enough creed and 308 to burn up a few barrels, should be fine through the next unplanned worldwide scamdemic, and it doesn’t break the bank at 1.30 a round for good match ammo…

Likely because of market saturation. It’s been around for 17 years now, and pretty much most people who wanted one have it.

And maybe people are realizing it’s not the end all/be all cartridges that it was hyped to be.

I’m not saying it’s a bad cartridge but there are other cartridges that perform as well or better in the same family.

It’s certainly appealing to the shooter that wants to buy a factory rifle and have good factory ammo to choose from.

Otherwise, enthusiasts and people who don’t want to be stuck with SAAMI have chosen other cartridges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Likely because of market saturation. It’s been around for 17 years now, and pretty much most people who wanted one have it.

And maybe people are realizing it’s not the end all/be all cartridges that it was hyped to be.

I’m not saying it’s a bad cartridge but there are other cartridges that perform as well or better in the same family.

It’s certainly appealing to the shooter that wants to buy a factory rifle and have good factory ammo to choose from.

Otherwise, enthusiasts and people who don’t want to be stuck with SAAMI have chosen other cartridges.

Or we are trying to throw darts at causes for an answer that’s not true

Grundy53

WKR

Except it hasn't fallen off a cliff. Still one of the most popular cartridges.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Except it hasn't fallen off a cliff. Still one of the most popular cartridges.

Never said it has. I was just giving my opinion on why it may not be as popular now as it was in years past.

With the other new cartridges that have come out, plus the reasons I stated earlier, are likely part of the reason it may not be selling in as high volume as the past.

It’s still a good choice for the factory rifle/factory ammo guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m in W TX and here it’s as popular as it ever was. See more rifles stocked in 6.5CM and PRC than anything else. See more choices of ammo on the shelf in Creedmoor as well. I didn’t jump on board until recently mainly just out of stubborn resistance to ”trendiness”. After spending some time here I’ve built 2 semi custom Tikka CTR barreled 6.5 CMs and they’re 2 of the best and most pleasurable to shoot rifles I own. I don’t reload and finding great shooting factory ammo is easy and reasonable to buy. Lot to love about that caliber.

When you spend a lot of time around the internet or social media, you start to believe what the marketers want you to think. Firearm companies make most of their money by convincing you that existing gun bad new gun good. You thought the creedmore was popular when they were selling it and now they are selling new cartridges now it's not good anymore.

As far as the 6.5 creedmore, I don't own one, never will, and don't know many others who do. Nothing wrong with the cartridge per say just no good reason to buy it compared to a dozen other options.

Hnthrdr

WKR
When you spend a lot of time around the internet or social media, you start to believe what the marketers want you to think. Firearm companies make most of their money by convincing you that existing gun bad new gun good. You thought the creedmore was popular when they were selling it and now they are selling new cartridges now it's not good anymore.

As far as the 6.5 creedmore, I don't own one, never will, and don't know many others who do. Nothing wrong with the cartridge per se just no good reason to buy it compared to a dozen other options.
I’d say the lion share of this forum own a 65, it would be my guess that most guys here own 5+ rifles on average

nubbin

FNG
It’s the second most popular cartridge right now behind the .308. I think what you’re seeing as falling off the cliff is just the cartridge has lost the new car smell. The 6.5 creedmoor was marketed heavily to push sales and was tremendously successfully. It’s about like a car manufacturer producing a new product. Every article, media, video is about that new model. Then the reviews, test drives, comparisons yada, yada, yada. Then one day it’s lost it’s excitement and it’s just another car on the road.

I’d say the lion share of this forum own a 65, it would be my guess that most guys here own 5+ rifles on average
I'm not sure enough to disagree with you. I agree that it depends what circle you deal with. I'd just point out that it would be almost impossible to determine whether this is the case. People who comment the most, are most vocal, are then most likely influenced by social media marketing.

Like I say, I have no problem with the cartridge, beyond it not being my cup of tea. But you've gotta realize the impact that social media marketing has on our perceptions. Just in general, what people say the most is often to distract one from reality as opposed to confirm it.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm not sure enough to disagree with you. I agree that it depends what circle you deal with. I'd just point out that it would be almost impossible to determine whether this is the case. People who comment the most, are most vocal, are then most likely influenced by social media marketing.

Like I say, I have no problem with the cartridge, beyond it not being my cup of tea. But you've gotta realize the impact that social media marketing has on our perceptions. Just in general, what people say the most is often to distract one from reality as opposed to confirm it.
I pretty well based my decision to build a cpl 6.5 Tikkas after seeing how effective they could be on game in real world scenarios on this forum. Not to mention how much fun and cheapish they are to bang steel with at distance. I’d hardly call that falling victim to “social media marketing”.
Whatever that means exactly, no offense. Don’t feel like most of the guys on here advocating for the 6.5 CM had much to gain from it personally. Emphasis on “most”. I certainly don’t love my 7mm-.08s any less now that I’m interested in 6.5s.

I pretty well based my decision to build a cpl 6.5 Tikkas after seeing how effective they could be on game in real world scenarios on this forum. Not to mention how much fun and cheapish they are to bang steel with at distance. I’d hardly call that falling victim to “social media marketing”.
Whatever that means exactly, no offense. Don’t feel like most of the guys on here advocating for the 6.5 CM had much to gain from it personally. Emphasis on “most”. I certainly don’t love my 7mm-.08s any less now that I’m interested in 6.5s.
No, I didn't say you had anything to gain from it. Some people do. Probably not you.

I'm talking about the impact of social media marketing on what people perceive is popular or not.

I could list thirteen cartridges that will probably have a similar effect on game as a 6.5 creedmore and lead their adherent to swear by them. Personally, I'll take the other 12. Your decision be your own.

Grundy53

WKR
No, I didn't say you had anything to gain from it. Some people do. Probably not you.

I'm talking about the impact of social media marketing on what people perceive is popular or not.

I could list thirteen cartridges that will probably have a similar effect on game as a 6.5 creedmore and lead their adherent to swear by them. Personally, I'll take the other 12. Your decision be your own.
Show me on the doll where the Creedmoor hurt you.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xemophora