Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

It's not just bush planes during the hunt. I, along with a whole bunch of other people will be in NW Alaska for good bits of the summer just generally exploring and fishing. In a bush plane.
I had no intentions of hunting it, as I feel it has too much res and non-res pressure to be what I look for in a hunt, but I still use the area extensively in an airplane.

Exactly. National park tours, wildlife tours, fishing, camping, backpacking…by the logic they use to close this season then none of that should be allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I’ll stand corrected. Wasn’t trying to be a dick.

Just take notice when someone tries to use the word “science” to support their bias when the opposing view point does as the same.

I’ll stand corrected. Wasn’t trying to be a dick.

Just take notice when someone tries to use the word “science” to support their bias when the opposing view point does as the same.

Sorry. I got a little fired up. Frustrating scenario. I get where you’re coming from.

RAM texted late last night and told us not to worry he could still put us on the caribou. One of the guys in our group is supposed to speak with him this afternoon and get and idea of what he's thinking. Hoping they have a contingency plan in place. Don't want to go up there and walk up and down the river hoping to see something.

Jclark225

FNG
Not sure if it helps but this is a portion of a long email from our transporter (Arctic Air) sent to all of us that have bookings scheduled with them.

"A few people have informed me another transporter stated to them that they were going to drop hunters off on the Noatak River and they can hunt along the river and on the gravel bars BUT NOT on the land above the high water mark. There is essentially a Zero Chance that someone doing this will get into the caribou migration and have a chance to shoot a caribou. Last year the Caribou Migration didn’t start to really cross the Noatak until September 25th. It’s a crap shoot at best and we’re not willing to drop our clients off knowing that they can’t get across the river and can’t hunt the higher grounds off the river. Whomever drops people off will only be doing this to pacify the client for the next 5 months and essentially they will have no chance at getting an animal and then the arguing will begin for them. For the past 6 years no one that we know of has dropped off hunters on the Noatak River to hunt caribou and no one has shot one on the Noatak that was dropped off on the river that we know of as well. We have not dropped off anyone on the Noatak to hunt for probably the past 10 years that I can recall. We do not use the Noatak river due to this and due to locals that drive their boats up and down the river in search of Caribou."

cjc5062

FNG
Not sure if it helps but this is a portion of a long email from our transporter (Arctic Air) sent to all of us that have bookings scheduled with them.

"A few people have informed me another transporter stated to them that they were going to drop hunters off on the Noatak River and they can hunt along the river and on the gravel bars BUT NOT on the land above the high water mark. There is essentially a Zero Chance that someone doing this will get into the caribou migration and have a chance to shoot a caribou. Last year the Caribou Migration didn’t start to really cross the Noatak until September 25th. It’s a crap shoot at best and we’re not willing to drop our clients off knowing that they can’t get across the river and can’t hunt the higher grounds off the river. Whomever drops people off will only be doing this to pacify the client for the next 5 months and essentially they will have no chance at getting an animal and then the arguing will begin for them. For the past 6 years no one that we know of has dropped off hunters on the Noatak River to hunt caribou and no one has shot one on the Noatak that was dropped off on the river that we know of as well. We have not dropped off anyone on the Noatak to hunt for probably the past 10 years that I can recall. We do not use the Noatak river due to this and due to locals that drive their boats up and down the river in search of Caribou."
What is Artic Air’s plan for you guys? Are they still confident in putting you guys on caribou?

What is Artic Air’s plan for you guys? Are they still confident in putting you guys on caribou?
Pretty much SOL for us.. They said our only option pretty much is that we could roll over our deposit to the next available year. What's been everyone else's experience when it comes to a "refund" for this? Of course this happens the year I am finally booked. Booooooo

cjc5062

FNG
Pretty much SOL for us.. They said our only option pretty much is that we could roll over our deposit to the next available year. What's been everyone else's experience when it comes to a "refund" for this? Of course this happens the year I am finally booked. Booooooo
That’s concerning. They aren’t giving you any options to hunt 26a or state land this year?

But there really aren’t any refunds for your deposits on these hunts.

RAM texted late last night and told us not to worry he could still put us on the caribou. One of the guys in our group is supposed to speak with him this afternoon and get and idea of what he's thinking. Hoping they have a contingency plan in place. Don't want to go up there and walk up and down the river hoping to see something.
I talked with Bryan yesterday, he's been thru this before and has backup plans, we'll be alright.

Jclark225

FNG
Yeah they gave a "still weighing options" call but basically said we'd be rolling to the next available year unless we filed a travel insurance claim. Which, we hadn't purchased yet and I think it's too late now.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like Arctic air has the best business plan. If they get to keep all the deposits but don't have to pay for operating cost by shutting down they might net more than if they actually provided a service....

eamyrick

WKR
Yeah they gave a "still weighing options" call but basically said we'd be rolling to the next available year unless we filed a travel insurance claim. Which, we hadn't purchased yet and I think it's too late now.
I mentioned it earlier but I wouldn’t overlook turning it into a fishing trip. Awesome Salmon and Dolly fishing out of Kotz. Save the tag, hotel days, additional transport cost for a year when you can really do the hunt you dreamed of. Transport cost for fishing should be about 1/2 the cost.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Sounds like Arctic air has the best business plan. If they get to keep all the deposits but don't have to pay for operating cost by shutting down they might net more than if they actually provided a service....
Honestly I think you’re right. It gives them the excuse to pocket money and not provide a service. Go ahead and read up on the owners past legal history. I would try to cash in on any refund or trip insurance you can. I was one of the hunters that waited in Kotzebue for four days and never made it out into the field last year. Thank God my insurance paid. Still lost about 1000 bucks for the Caribou tag.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Dude. That sucks. I know from experience (not anyone in Kotzebue). I had a guy tell us the day before we were supposed fly out a few years back in unit 25 the he would be able to take us for several days. Ended up getting someone else to take us but only to where he was going to pick up a float hunter. Never saw a caribou. Fortunately the first loser did refund our money after some legal type exchanges. I don’t think he is in the business anymore but if I aver see his name being mentioned I will PM anyone considering using him.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I should add that this is essentially Arctic air’s MO. There was a few hunters that were schedule 2020 the rolled over into 2021. I was scheduled for 2021 and never made it out because there was too many hunters to fly and the weather was too bad allegedly. Last I checked they were offering to kick the can down the road to almost everyone that was canceled. This is simply to pacify them. I do not believe they have the resources nor the ability to do this.This rule change is a great excuse for them just to cash in and say we can’t do it anymore and keep the money. Seems calculated IMHO.

Litterly every transporter makes it very clear the deposit is non refundable.
Its in the contract you sign and send in with your deposit.
I haven't found a single one that does not state this.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
While you are correct for most, I will point out that I signed one recently for a 2025 moose hunt that made it clear the deposit was 100% refundable if cancelled 12 months prior. Beyond that you can sell you spot to someone else. I thought this was pretty refreshing. Also, this particular outfitter is probably now booking for 2026 already. So, if something crazy we’re to happen inside 12 months, I imagine it wouldn’t be hard to sell your spot to someone else. So, while rare, there are some good contracts out there.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I mentioned it earlier but I wouldn’t overlook turning it into a fishing trip. Awesome Salmon and Dolly fishing out of Kotz. Save the tag, hotel days, additional transport cost for a year when you can really do the hunt you dreamed of. Transport cost for fishing should be about 1/2 the cost.

Man, every hunting trip in the state is also a fishing trip. Ain’t nobody coming to that area to catch gross char and pinks.