Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

cjc5062

FNG
It is impossible to time the migration anywhere at anytime but I have hunted state lands on at least 4 occasions and have seen anywhere from several dozen to several hundred I usually go about the 10th of Sept give or take s few . If you are going with GE they will do their best and I would not hesitate Jared is a smart guy and I am sure he has a backup plan in motion
Thanks Chucko, that’s encouraging. Hopefully we can still manage to put together a great hunt. We’ve been looking forward to it for a year and a half now.

Not one red cent huh?
No of the outfitters spend a single dollar there. Nothing all all?
What about my tax money?
i think you need to do some learning before you post any more. you are coming off very ignorant.

What tax money?
if the outfitters are flying out of kotz why would any of their money be spent in noatak? people dont just cross the hotham inlet leisurely head up the noatak river for miles to spend a couple bucks at the village store then head back to kotz.

z987k

WKR
We really need to get the Feds out of Alaska. It's not just this.
All the BLM land. Anything that isn't a park, needs to be transferred to the state. All the fishing, to include all the ocean waters in the US EEZ.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Not one red cent huh?
No of the outfitters spend a single dollar there. Nothing all all?
What about my tax money?

Do you rely on Rokslide as your single source of all information gathering? Did you contact Alaskan biologists, air transporters, the park service before booking your trip or did you come across one of the dozens of threads on Kotzebue and book your trip based on that? Do you post reports on the public land where you hunt elk in Oregon? The exact trailhead where non-residents can park, what the best time of year to find them, coordinates of good wallows? My point here, is what did you expect would happen when non-residents come to a public forum and saturate it with information on one area in Alaska to hunt caribou? This shutdown was inevitable. To answer your questions above, no, outfitters do not base any of their hunts out of Noatak. No, the villagers do not care about the .0000001 percent of your federal taxes that go to their village. Just like I stated before about the Park Service law enforcement, feel free to do some research and come back to correct me if I’m posting misinformation.

When you’re done being bitter and angry about this closure, spend your energy researching alternate areas in Alaska to hunt caribou. If you find something promising, do a search on Rokslide and see if there is information here on that area. If there are 200 threads on the area you want to hunt, avoid that area. If there isn’t a lot of information, go have the trip of a lifetime. This isn’t rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Could the state actually incur the costs to acquire all said lands?

I would hope the state is looking into legal action against the board as they clearly outlined in the memo how they were violating the acts.

slick

WKR
Thank you…
So stupid and not based in science.

24% decline in two years seems like science to me?

Can you point me in the direction of science you speak of that does not support of this?

This is a good blow to the local economy… hotel, BnBs, native crafts. If they do not also close the fact that NWAB residents can shoot 5 cows a day 7/8 months out of the year and shoot 5 calves a day it is utter bullshit. I say this as a resident of NWAB. If this is about the herd population then make changes on both sides

Do you rely on Rokslide as your single source of all information gathering? Did you contact Alaskan biologists, air transporters, the park service before booking your trip or did you come across one of the dozens of threads on Kotzebue and book your trip based on that? Do you post reports on the public land where you hunt elk in Oregon? The exact trailhead where non-residents can park, what the best time of year to find them, coordinates of good wallows? My point here, is what did you expect would happen when non-residents come to a public forum and saturate it with information on one area in Alaska to hunt caribou? This shutdown was inevitable. To answer your questions above, no, outfitters do not base any of their hunts out of Noatak. No, the villagers do not care about the .0000001 percent of your federal taxes that go to their village. Just like I stated before about the Park Service law enforcement, feel free to do some research and come back to correct me if I’m posting misinformation.

When you’re done being bitter and angry about this closure, spend your energy researching alternate areas in Alaska to hunt caribou. If you find something promising, do a search on Rokslide and see if there is information here on that area. If there are 200 threads on the area you want to hunt, avoid that area. If there isn’t a lot of information, go have the trip of a lifetime. This isn’t rocket science.

The problem isn't finding another area.
The problem is finding a transporter with a half decent reputation that you can get booked with.

Every other transporter to a different area i have been able to find re books previous clients 1st and there is no way to get your foot in the door.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
The problem isn't finding another area.
The problem is finding a transporter with a half decent reputation that you can get booked with.

Every other transporter to a different area i have been able to find re books previous clients 1st and there is no way to get your foot in the door.

Yeah, that sucks man. I get it. Ran into the same problem trying to find transporters into the Brooks to hunt sheep. Just gotta keep looking and follow back up with the reputable ones frequently to see if they have cancellations.

Yeah, that sucks man. I get it. Ran into the same problem trying to find transporters into the Brooks to hunt sheep. Just gotta keep looking and follow back up with the reputable ones frequently to see if they have cancellations.

Our perception of alot of pressure is different as well.
You ask what I thought would happen when I read 350 non locals.
To me that is extremely low low low pressure.
Its hard for me to compare numbers.
How many square miles is that per hunter in unit 23? 1-2 miles per hunter?
Archery season alown in Oregon has to average 5-10 hunters per average.
To me 350 people over an entire season in an area that size in miniscule.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Our perception of alot of pressure is different as well.
You ask what I thought would happen when I read 350 non locals.
To me that is extremely low low low pressure.
Its hard for me to compare numbers.
How many square miles is that per hunter in unit 23? 1-2 miles per hunter?
Archery season alown in Oregon has to average 5-10 hunters per average.
To me 350 people over an entire season in an area that size in miniscule.

It’s not minuscule when you factor in how much of unit 23 is a no-fly zone, or inaccessible to aircraft drop-offs. There are only so many areas where an aircraft can safely land. Tack on heavy rains and now a lot of those gravel bars are now underwater. 350 people being dropped on the same gravel bars is ridiculous. Look into how many hunters lost their meat to bears last year. Never used to be such a bad problem but hunters bringing quarters to the same gravel bars have conditioned the bears to change their feeding patterns. Your comparing your road systems in Oregon and the fact that you can hike for 50 miles if you want in Oregon. No road systems in the Noatak preserve area and try hiking a few miles on tundra and tussocks.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
24% decline in two years seems like science to me?

Can you point me in the direction of science you speak of that does not support of this?

Were you on the calls last year or this year? Fish and game spoke numerous times about harvest thresholds and how the harvest of almost 100% bulls by non residents is statistically insignificant, as well as the total harvest by non res hunters. They also said studies have been done showing air traffic does not impact herd migration in any meaningful way. Looking at past migration maps you can see they’ve changed over and over. as well as how herd numbers are in constant flux for many reasons.

Almost all of the testimony on behalf of the closure was citing anecdotal data regarding the sustenance hunters perceptions and personal observation, and our man Charlie didn’t even know what the hell was going on.

I knew it was getting closed when they said numbers were lower this year, countered with the deeply emotional response, and the reoccurring theme that the insignificant harvest by non resident is causing significant disruption in migration, which is not supported by any data.

Were you on the calls last year or this year? Fish and game spoke numerous times about harvest thresholds and how the harvest of almost 100% bulls by non residents is statistically insignificant, as well as the total harvest by non res hunters. They also said studies have been done showing air traffic does not impact herd migration in any meaningful way. Looking at past migration maps you can see they’ve changed over and over. as well as how herd numbers are in constant flux for many reasons.

Almost all of the testimony on behalf of the closure was citing anecdotal data regarding the sustenance hunters perceptions and personal observation, and our man Charlie didn’t even know what the hell was going on.

I knew it was getting closed when they said numbers were lower this year, countered with the deeply emotional response, and the reoccurring theme that the insignificant harvest by non resident is causing significant disruption in migration, which is not supported by any data.

I didn’t bother to respond because he clearly doesn’t know what he was talking about. The fact of the matter is if ANY of this was because of the heard population decreasing, WE (we being residents of the region, I am a resident), would not be allowed to shoot 5 caribou a day year round, and for 8 of those months it could be 5 cows or 5 CALVES.

They cannot sit back and pretend that closing the ~300 bull caribou that non residents to the region shoot is changing the herd population or that the planes are changing the migration.

What about when people in the region drive up on their snowgo, chase the herd, then use a semi auto to shoot 5 caribou in the head. What about riding a boat up to caribou crossing a river and shooting them with a .22 in the head. What about Bering air flights. What about locals using charters to get from village to village. BE CONSISTENT. There is no data to say “oh the 2 months of bush planes is changing the migration.” Its asinine.

I used to hunt this region when I was a nonresident. Eventually I moved up here. I feel for you all who are unsure about your dream hunt that you saved up
For years for.. I know it’s not cheap. I would hate to be in your shoes. This doesn’t effect me anymore but has it gone through 5 years ago it would’ve…that’s why it is infuriating

z987k

WKR
I didn’t bother to respond because he clearly doesn’t know what he was talking about. The fact of the matter is if ANY of this was because of the heard population decreasing, WE (we being residents of the region, I am a resident), would not be allowed to shoot 5 caribou a day year round, and for 8 of those months it could be 5 cows or 5 CALVES.

They cannot sit back and pretend that closing the ~300 bull caribou that non residents to the region shoot is changing the herd population or that the planes are changing the migration.

What about when people in the region drive up on their snowgo, chase the herd, then use a semi auto to shoot 5 caribou in the head. What about riding a boat up to caribou crossing a river and shooting them with a .22 in the head. What about Bering air flights. What about locals using charters to get from village to village. BE CONSISTENT. There is no data to say “oh the 2 months of bush planes is changing the migration.” Its asinine.

I used to hunt this region when I was a nonresident. Eventually I moved up here. I feel for you all who are unsure about your dream hunt that you saved up
For years for.. I know it’s not cheap. I would hate to be in your shoes. This doesn’t effect me anymore but has it gone through 5 years ago it would’ve…that’s why it is infuriating

It's not just bush planes during the hunt. I, along with a whole bunch of other people will be in NW Alaska for good bits of the summer just generally exploring and fishing. In a bush plane.
I had no intentions of hunting it, as I feel it has too much res and non-res pressure to be what I look for in a hunt, but I still use the area extensively in an airplane.

Larry thanks for all your educated input on this topic and sharing info as you get it here.... I, we appreciate you! I have a hunt booked with Ram and after talking with Brian today we are gonna make it work and just go farther in!