Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

z987k

WKR
Man, every hunting trip in the state is also a fishing trip. Ain’t nobody coming to that area to catch gross char and pinks.
Sheefish are pretty fun.

I'm hoping this doesn't put pressure on areas I hunt. I don't think it will because only a couple type of airplanes have the range and off airport capabilities to do it. And they are not what outfitters typically fly.

Larry thanks for all your educated input on this topic and sharing info as you get it here.... I, we appreciate you! I have a hunt booked with Ram and after talking with Brian today we are gonna make it work and just go farther in!

Just spoke with ram and got the same info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
I texted we d Jared after the meeting and just let him know that when he had time, I’d like to discuss how we plan for a good hunt. Also, one of the biologist it Kotz and I exchanged emails. He told me he knew Jared would have a contingency plan I place and to give him time. Like Ram will for their client, I believe GEO will take care of us. If you do talk to them, please let us know.

cjc5062

FNG
Ya, we sent him an email last week after the decision, but know he's probably scrambling to get things in order. Didn't want to pester him, but might give him a call later this week if we haven't heard back just to get an idea as to what our contingencies are.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
I've sent them an email but I'm giving them time. I know they are probably scrambling right now.

I sent an email for our group as well Wednesday night, we are giving him time also, but would like a response soon bc me and my 2 friends want to start scrambling to find another option for us for the annual fall “western hunt”

TodOz

FNG
I spoke with Jared at GE briefly on Saturday. He was unloading the plane so I didn't get much time. He's still processing the situation and said he would be responding to emails.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's a lot to process with this decision. I and hunting groups have contacted the state Commissioner's office for an official guidance/stance on navigating this federal ruling. It's a tough wait but we have to allow the agencies some logistical time to sort out any public statements. I'm guessing in a week to 10 days we'll see something official posted.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This from the Deputy Commissioner:

Thank you for reaching out regarding the FSB's recent action to close millions of acres of federal public land to non-locals for moose and caribou hunting.
I am so sorry to hear of the impact this will have on not only your business and those you serve transporting them out into the field, but to the local economy you contribute to. The FSB certainly overlooked that impact despite us and many others bringing it up at the multiple public hearings they held plus in written comments. The State had actively opposed this special action since it was first introduced last year along with many of the hunting organizations as well. We had hundreds of people provide testimony at the public hearings and in writing. It is sad the FSB ignored such overwhelming opposition to this special action request. Now that the FSB has acted, ADF&G is currently in discussions with the Governor's Office and the Dept. of Law on what our next step(s) should be. Since Governor Dunleavy and my Commissioner came on board they have been assertive in their stance on state's rights including the right to manage our fish and wildlife resource. For example, when the FSB took similar action to close federal public lands in GMU 13 in 2020 the decision was made to not accept that decision and the State sued over this and we're currently still in litigation. I can definitely let you know once any decisions have been made.
As far as seeing what waters are navigable in the area, the Alaska Dept. of Natural Resources has an online map they developed as part of the Governor's Navigability Initiative you may have heard of. You can find the map at https://mapper.dnr.alaska.gov/map#map=4 and information on the initiative at https://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/paad/nav/unlocking-alaska/ .
While you may feel it may not do any good, making sure the federal government knows how deeply this will impact you is important. The Office of Subsistence Management is the body who provides support to the FSB and can be reached at 786-3888 or [email protected] .
Sincerely,
Ben Mulligan
Deputy Commissioner

Is what happening here, any different than what happended with the Mulchatna herd? non residents can't hunt that herd.
It's WAY different than the Mulchatna herd. That herd was obviously over populated and mangers saw the writing on the wall and couldn't stop it despite their best efforts. At one point I believe you could shoot five a day on the same day you flew they were so desperate to get animals removed. In the end they were able to clearly point to overgrazing and hoof rot causing population declines and an eventual crash. It wasn't until the herd got to very critical levels that they completely shut off non-residents and I believe that was only a handful of years ago. Now it's closed for even locals as the population estimate is at ~10,000 caribou; down from ~200,000 about two decades ago.

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
You'd think in this day and age we could all 'identify" as subsistence hunters and just go hunt there.

Emailed Governor, both Senators, ADFG and Subsistence Board.

They will eventually take this land closure tool too far and lose it... either in a lawsuit or congressional action.