Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nah the decision to hunt there will be a personal commitment to what is right by state law and defying what is just wrong as stated by the federal system. Some guys who dont have the stomach for it shouldn't do it, but those that do should hunt and worry less about the recourse. Below mean high water is legal and that is what it is.

palefty45

FNG
How is it possible that they are able to pass a Special Action for 2 seasons? Under title 36 chapter 2 part 242.19 section B...

The length of any temporary action will be confined to the minimum time period or harvest limit determined by the Board to be necessary under the circumstances. In any event, a temporary opening or closure will not extend longer than the end of the current regulatory cycle.

eamyrick

WKR
I booked a hunt because I wanted a big beautiful Alaska adventure.
Not to tip toe around.
This is why I canceled my trip in January after this seemed like it had some steam. I’ll say that floating and fishing up there is still an awesome trip. I did it last year. Zero regrets and 1/3 price of hunting.

Jclark225

FNG
This is why I canceled my trip in January after this seemed like it had some steam. I’ll say that floating and fishing up there is still an awesome trip. I did it last year. Zero regrets and 1/3 price of hunting.
Yeah thinking we may go the same route. Any issues with cancelling? Who was your transport and did you need to file a trip insurance claim?

eamyrick

WKR
Yeah thinking we may go the same route. Any issues with cancelling? Who was your transport and did you need to file a trip insurance claim?
I’d call and talk to your individual transported. What someone was willing to do in January they may not be willing to do now. Making a fishing trip out of it may be a better option than canceling if you have 2 flights etc for 2022.

cjc5062

FNG
We reached out to our transporter via email last night (Golden Eagle Outfitters) and hopefully will hear back in the next couple of days, as I'm sure they are getting crushed with emails/calls right now.

By curiosity, does anyone know if Golden Eagle is able to fly people in into 26a? I think they do but can't remember exactly due to us scheduling over a year and a half ago.

chucko

FNG
Okay guys yes this sucks and yes it happened before if I were you I would just go hunting on state lands I may be wrong but I think it was 2016 when it happened the last time . I hunted on state land then and it was great if your transporter can take you go for it . I have hunted within unit 23 for over 20 years and this is a complete tragedy . As a lifelong Alaskan this is a insult to my very core and the most racist thing that could possibly happen . I guess not everyone is created equal and the constitution does not mean shit in Alaska .

Okay guys yes this sucks and yes it happened before if I were you I would just go hunting on state lands I may be wrong but I think it was 2016 when it happened the last time . I hunted on state land then and it was great if your transporter can take you go for it . I have hunted within unit 23 for over 20 years and this is a complete tragedy . As a lifelong Alaskan this is a insult to my very core and the most racist thing that could possibly happen . I guess not everyone is created equal and the constitution does not mean shit in Alaska .
It cost to much money to be limited.
I hope the villages starve without our money.

cjc5062

FNG
What is wrong with unit 26a? Why does it seem that know one wants to hunt that unit? Not downplaying the closure.
I'd be interested in hearing if 26a is decent to hunt and if so if there are times that are better than others. I'm worried if you wait until Sept, most of the caribou will be gone from 26a into 23.

cjc5062

FNG
Chucko, from a timing standpoint, is the state land decent throughout the season? Looking at the main chunk that is between the Noatak and Kobuk Rivers and based upon migration reports through Alaska fish and game, it seems as though that area isn't a heavy migration corridor and they may not get there until later in the season.

chucko

FNG
Chucko, from a timing standpoint, is the state land decent throughout the season? Looking at the main chunk that is between the Noatak and Kobuk Rivers and based upon migration reports through Alaska fish and game, it seems as though that area isn't a heavy migration corridor and they may not get there until later in the season.
It is impossible to time the migration anywhere at anytime but I have hunted state lands on at least 4 occasions and have seen anywhere from several dozen to several hundred I usually go about the 10th of Sept give or take s few . If you are going with GE they will do their best and I would not hesitate Jared is a smart guy and I am sure he has a backup plan in motion

monsais91

FNG
I’m currently booked for September 2023 and have spoken with Jared at GEO regarding our hunt. In the meantime, I also found a memo dated January 24, 2022 where ADFG states they oppose this action and deem it illegal and a violation of several acts that gave the FSB the powers they have. Being as it’s the first day since this happened, I would hope the state is looking into legal action against the board as they clearly outlined in the memo how they were violating the acts. I can provide a copy of this memo for those who are interested, but I believe there is legal precedent here that can demonstrate overreach on the part of FSB. All personal feelings aside, it is ludicrous that state and federal agencies would turn a blind eye to empirical data gathered by government entities that absolutely do not agree with the claims of the FSB