Helluva hand me down

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
My FIL is slowly realizing he can't do much/any shooting anymore and gave me a Patriot 6.5CM 20" he got a few years ago so that's a win.

I've been wanting a 6.5CM for a comp/pronghorn/coyote rig. But its wrong-handed, I'm a Lefty and I am now spoiled on having a Lefty rifle soooo I have some options.

I could sell it and put it toward what I want. I don't think he would mind that but sometimes people are funny about that kinda thing. He also doesn't really understand why one 6.5 is suited for a specific purpose but another isn't.

I could keep it and give it to my son someday.

I may put it in an MDT Oryx and see what I can do with it. And either give it to my son or sell it later.

It definitely needs a better scope, it's a Winchester 3-9x54.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Not a bad rule.

Luked

WKR
I have a rule - anything gifted to me, I keep. Anything I buy myself I am free to trade or sell or whatever.
I have pretty much the same rule.
Have a buddy that has gifted me quite a few rifles as he has gotten to where he only needs or wants a few calibers as well as gun makes.
Even if I don't use them I keep them and will pass them on when something happens to me.

SBR Sarge

FNG
Keep it. Cherish it. And when FIL passes you can take it out every so often and it’ll be like going shooting with him in spirit.

I’ve got a few guns like this. Each time I take them out it brings up fond memories.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Selling a gun gifted to you by a family member is a jerk move, imo.
I understand that many people feel that way.

It was given in full knowledge(not understanding) of 2 things: 1) I am looking to build a somewhat specific gun 2) the gun he gave me was not that gun.

I also don't put explicit or implicit stipulations on what somebody does with something I give them, so I am not terribly inclined to abide by that expectation from someone else.

Now if I ask for something very specific and I get exactly what I ask for and then turn around and sell it, yeah thats a dick move. I did not ask for it or any firearm, it was a totally impulsive move on his part because I mentioned 6.5 and he had one that he doesnt shoot.

I understand that many people feel that way.

It was given in full knowledge(not understanding) of 2 things: 1) I am looking to build a somewhat specific gun 2) the gun he gave me was not that gun.

I also don't put explicit or implicit stipulations on what somebody does with something I give them, so I am not terribly inclined to abide by that expectation from someone else.

Now if I ask for something very specific and I get exactly what I ask for and then turn around and sell it, yeah thats a dick move. I did not ask for it or any firearm, it was a totally impulsive move on his part because I mentioned 6.5 and he had one that he doesnt shoot.
Same same. It was a gift and selling it could come across as a dick move. The small amount of money you would receive by selling it doesn’t offset the risk of looking like a jerk IMO. You asked, the WKRs have spoken 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have been in a similar situation a couple of times. Just last week an older widow that we go to church with and have become friends with gave me her husbands 444 Marlin Lever gun - she bought it for him for christmas and her son is a felon and will never be able to own it. Cool gun, but wouldnt have been my first choice in a lever gun. What I really want is a Browning BLR takedown in 308. I could sell this or trade it towards what I want, but it was a gift, so it will sit in my safe and I’ll try and throw it in the scabbard for a ride or two this next year.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to keep it, it should be fine for the boy in a few years. And my FIL and my son will both enjoy that connection.

tmorty

FNG
My FIL is slowly realizing he can't do much/any shooting anymore and gave me a Patriot 6.5CM 20" he got a few years ago so that's a win.

I've been wanting a 6.5CM for a comp/pronghorn/coyote rig. But its wrong-handed, I'm a Lefty and I am now spoiled on having a Lefty rifle soooo I have some options.

I could sell it and put it toward what I want. I don't think he would mind that but sometimes people are funny about that kinda thing. He also doesn't really understand why one 6.5 is suited for a specific purpose but another isn't.

I could keep it and give it to my son someday.

I may put it in an MDT Oryx and see what I can do with it. And either give it to my son or sell it later.

It definitely needs a better scope, it's a Winchester 3-9x54.

Any other ideas?

I’ve shot right handed rifles my entire life and been left eye dominant so I shoot lefty. I can shoot a rifle regardless where the bolt is but I always shoot left handed. I have even wondered why the bolt was ever swapped around anyway. I enjoy shooting right handed rifles and having the ejection port visible while being under the scope which isn’t possible shooting a “correct” rifle.
On another note I believe it would be wrong to sell a gifted rifle rather just keep it like you never had it to begin with. Might be something your wife or son would cherish one day.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot right handed rifles my entire life and been left eye dominant so I shoot lefty. I can shoot a rifle regardless where the bolt is but I always shoot left handed. I have even wondered why the bolt was ever swapped around anyway. I enjoy shooting right handed rifles and having the ejection port visible while being under the scope which isn’t possible shooting a “correct” rifle.
On another note I believe it would be wrong to sell a gifted rifle rather just keep it like you never had it to begin with. Might be something your wife or son would cherish one day.
I, like you, grew up in a wrong-handed world. There are options now, I'm taking advantage of them. You choose not to, neither of us is wrong.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a number of guns that were gifted to me over many years. I could never sell any of them. One, an 8mm Mauser was the gun my granddad killed his first deer with, the first gun my dad killed his first deer with (so the story goes) and definitely the gun I killed my first deer with. We were never able have children so I might want to be buried with it.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a number of guns that were gifted to me over many years. I could never sell any of them. One, an 8mm Mauser was the gun my granddad killed his first deer with, the first gun my dad killed his first deer with (so the story goes) and definitely the gun I killed my first deer with. We were never able have children so I might want to be buried with it.
Now THOSE are reasons to keep them. In my case, my FIL is impulsive and buys stuff without thinking about it, with no plan, and no real intent to use it. There is almost no sentimental value here.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I've never been so happy and free then giving up on having emotional attachements to inatimate objects.

The less things I own and have to maintain the less I feel like a slave to my stuff.

Vern400

WKR
If you are not close to your father-in-law, and your wife could care less, and no one else in the family wants it, it's just a gun.

My brother sold Grandfather's matched set of 16 and 20 gauge Belgium made brownings when my mother had the matching 12 gauge. A three gun set. I think the serial numbers even matched after the prefix that designated the model. I had previously offered to buy them. That kind of sucked.

On the other hand, I still have the 1965 Ford pickup I bought when I was 16. Fully restored.
That's where I stand on the matter but it doesn't matter. It's your gun.

Wapiti1

WKR
I never get rid of a gun that I haven't shot a bit. Some I hate, others I love, and a few that I wasn't loving grew on me.

Those Mossbergs are usually decent shooters. The wood stocks seem to shoot better than tupperware, IME with over a dozen of them. Due to price, they were very popular here to rebarrel into a deer legal cartridge, the mighty .358 Hoosier, or some variant of that.

Jeremy