Gunnison CPW Meeting

I watched a bit of it yesterday. I see that they will pay up to $8k for livestock killed by wolves. But, my BIL says that they don't actually have the funds in place and there is not a source for funding yet. I read a separate report that says ranchers should use their own funds in advance to set up mitigating barriers/protection in order to receive the highest allocation of funds for damage.

I've extensively read about all of the purported "benefits" of wolf reintroductions, most of them coming from essentially a test lab environment in Yellowstone where there is no hunting, no ranching, no human destruction of habitat, etc. Elk #s have dropped drastically everywhere they've been reintroduced. The argument is the surviving herd is stronger and more resilient. And there's more beavers and willows...:rolleyes:

It just seems like a horrible idea all around for the western slope. But, I'm all for reintroduction into the Denver, Boulder, and Springs area.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a bit of it yesterday. I see that they will pay up to $8k for livestock killed by wolves. But, my BIL says that they don't actually have the funds in place and there is not a source for funding yet. I read a separate report that says ranchers should use their own funds in advance to set up mitigating barriers/protection in order to receive the highest allocation of funds for damage.

I've extensively read about all of the purported "benefits" of wolf reintroductions, most of them coming from essentially a test lab environment in Yellowstone where there is no hunting, no ranching, no human destruction of habitat, etc. Elk #s have dropped drastically everywhere they've been reintroduced. The argument is the surviving herd is stronger and more resilient. And there's more beavers and willows...:rolleyes:

It just seems like a horrible idea all around for the western slope. But, I'm all for reintroduction into the Denver, Boulder, and Springs area.
If I recall correctly - the report itself says that they don't have a source of funding for the project.

Foldem

WKR
I think the ag producers, outfitters, and wildlife conservation groups did a great job of using science based facts and not emotion to provide input on the plan. They also outnumbered the wolf advocates significantly. Let's make sure we show up for the Denver meeting. I'd guess it will be a little more contentious.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They'll avoid paying for any wolf kills of livestock like they do in all of the other wolf states. They'll send out a govt guy, he'll say it was killed by a large canine but results are inconclusive for wolves. Then the rancher will have a dead animal and zero compensation. Just part of the playbook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk