Gunnison CO public lands closed

Billinsd

WKR
What if.

What if their transmission blows up while driving across country in a remote area? Does dad hop in the cab with the tow truck driver? What if the tow truck driver won’t let anyone in the cab? Someone will have to pick them up. Where do they stay while the transmission is getting repaired?

What if little Johnny’s peanut allergy gets the best of him and he has to go to the ER in an ambulance?

There are more “what ifs” that lead to a family driving across country to have close encounters with others than there are “what ifs” that allow them to avoid contact with other people.
I'm not a betting man, but the odds are higher of them getting killed on the drive there statistically, especially if they drive on a reservation, say like that one in NM by Farmington near a reservation I think? Most dangerous section of highway in the country? I wouldn't do it myself, because like I said greater chances getting killed on the drive out. I'm better off and more comfortable in my house with all our doctors, pharmacy and hospital less than a mile away. All the comforts of home. And you are right more chance of them getting sick if they are using gas station bathrooms along the way. Bill

What if.

What if their transmission blows up while driving across country in a remote area? Does dad hop in the cab with the tow truck driver? What if the tow truck driver won’t let anyone in the cab? Someone will have to pick them up. Where do they stay while the transmission is getting repaired?

What if little Johnny’s peanut allergy gets the best of him and he has to go to the ER in an ambulance?

There are more “what ifs” that lead to a family driving across country to have close encounters with others than there are “what ifs” that allow them to avoid contact with other people.

I missed the part where they outlawed out-of-county commerce and visitation/through-travel. So, they're happy to bring in the fuel, grocery, take-out/fastfood, speeding ticket revenues from out-of-county but they'll be damned if they allow people to recreate on the public land at will?

Anyone else got a hankering to hold in a massive dump for the local grocery there and leave the sheriff's dept number for service? Unfortunately some teenager would be cleaning it up...

Billinsd

WKR
I missed the part where they outlawed out-of-county commerce and visitation/through-travel. So, they're happy to bring in the fuel, grocery, take-out/fastfood, speeding ticket revenues from out-of-county but they'll be damned if they allow people to recreate on the public land at will?

Anyone else got a hankering to hold in a massive dump for the local grocery there and leave the sheriff's dept number for service? Unfortunately some teenager would be cleaning it up...
The virus brings out the best and the worst in people and especially bad when it comes to government. I'm in San Diego. Come out here if you want. We have lots of resources. There's a new costco gas station with 32 pumps and very few people using it, less than a mile from me. Just like with everything else, be considerate guests. Lots of public places are closed, beaches, hiking trails, etc. They are closed to everyone not just tourists. San Diego ain't that bad a place after all it seems like. Bill

Billinsd

WKR
Similar to San Juan County, Gunnison County has closed public lands within the county to non residents of the county. Supposedly, Colorado Revised Statute 25-1-114 allows the sheriff such powers as a matter of public health.

0d648c95b93aa9ead65e746f44ff21be.jpg
APRIL FOOLS!!!

OP
P

Poser

WKR
The virus brings out the best and the worst in people and especially bad when it comes to government. I'm in San Diego. Come out here if you want. We have lots of resources. There's a new costco gas station with 32 pumps and very few people using it. Just like with everything else, be considerate guests. Lots of public places are closed, beaches, hiking trails, etc. They are closed to everyone not just tourists. San Diego ain't that bad a place after all it seems like. Bill

I’m unsure about Gunnison Co, but on the San Juan Co order, a non county resident can only drive through the county. That’s it. No stopping. I’m not entirely sure about gas -there is one gas station just out of town next to the highway that may be permissible, but the road into town has a big flashing sign that reads “stay out.” This also includes backcountry access and recreation.

Billinsd

WKR
I’m unsure about Gunnison Co, but on the San Juan Co order, a non county resident can only drive through the county. That’s it. No stopping. I’m not entirely sure about gas -there is one gas station just out of town next to the highway that may be permissible, but the road into town has a big flashing sign that reads “stay out.” This also includes backcountry access and recreation.
Wow it's not even like that in the people's republic of California!! At least I haven't heard. Lawyers will be busy after this is all over.

brsnow

WKR
The virus brings out the best and the worst in people and especially bad when it comes to government. I'm in San Diego. Come out here if you want. We have lots of resources. There's a new costco gas station with 32 pumps and very few people using it, less than a mile from me. Just like with everything else, be considerate guests. Lots of public places are closed, beaches, hiking trails, etc. They are closed to everyone not just tourists. San Diego ain't that bad a place after all it seems like. Bill
The only state that has seemed to have got in front of the virus.

MattB

WKR
What if they keep a safe distance away from others and are mindful about spreading viruses as well as catching them? Why is it stupid to feel safer in an area where there is no evidence from an area with evidence of a lot of infection, other than driving cross country? I'm not saying I'd do that. It depends too if it's a retired couple or big family with dogs and cats. I don't think it's stupid, it's not super smart either. Bill

Let me reframe your statement to see if this might make a bit more sense. Why do you think it might be a stupid idea for you to travel from an area with evidence of a lot of infections of a disease that is communicable before the infected are even showing symptoms to an area with no evidence of infection?

MattB

WKR
Lots of guys on here forget the very simple concept: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I had an AZ elk tag a decade or so ago and was sitting on a water hole. Some A-hole drove up and proceeded to climb into his tree stand despite my letting him know I was there first. He said it was public land. and what he was doing was perfectly legal, That was perhaps the most stark example I've experiences of the law being the lowest common denominator and that one can follow the law and be totally in the wrong from an ethical perspective.

Fast forward to today where folks are rationalizing why ignoring shelter in place orders is acceptable because they think they are somehow smarter than everyone else or because it infringes on their misguided sense of what they believe is constitutional. That sort of thinking is going to cost lives.

Savage99

WKR
Lots of guys on here forget the very simple concept: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I had an AZ elk tag a decade or so ago and was sitting on a water hole. Some A-hole drove up and proceeded to climb into his tree stand despite my letting him know I was there first. He said it was public land. and what he was doing was perfectly legal, That was perhaps the most stark example I've experiences of the law being the lowest common denominator and that one can follow the law and be totally in the wrong from an ethical perspective.

Fast forward to today where folks are rationalizing why ignoring shelter in place orders is acceptable because they think they are somehow smarter than everyone else or because it infringes on their misguided sense of what they believe is constitutional. That sort of thinking is going to cost lives.

I think folks here are talking about going to two different kinds of “watering holes” lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Crazy!
I’d be cool with this for Idaho public lands September through December
After that y’all can come back and camp 😝

It doesn’t make you of lower intelligence just because you have the free will to choose not to run and hide in a hole when the government tells you to. There are people with high levels of common sense and “book” smarts both choosing not to let this virus bring their daily lives to a halt. As I’ve said in other posts. Use your phone to make phone calls. Turn off your television and computer. Stay away from media, both social and news. Wash your hands frequently. Don’t get too close to each other. You’ll see that your daily life is pretty much unaffected (for most people) by just simply turning off society.

MattB

WKR
It doesn’t make you of lower intelligence just because you have the free will to choose not to run and hide in a hole when the government tells you to. There are people with high levels of common sense and “book” smarts both choosing not to let this virus bring their daily lives to a halt. As I’ve said in other posts. Use your phone to make phone calls. Turn off your television and computer. Stay away from media, both social and news. Wash your hands frequently. Don’t get too close to each other. You’ll see that your daily life is pretty much unaffected (for most people) by just simply turning off society.

So, you are doing most of the things the government tells you to? Ok

So, you are doing most of the things the government tells you to? Ok
If you are referring to washing my hands and keeping people out of my personal space, I’ve been doing that on my own for a good bit before the government instructed you to do so. If that’s the best come back you have, go ahead and put a mark down for yourself in the fail column. Care to give it another swing, slugger?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Sure wish the government would get a hold of that.

On "the people's" front, I really doubt that everyone would be heading to Gunnison County right now, even if they can. That's not the point. If some county banned everyone except their own residents from carrying in that county, would you be screaming that "just because you can go to that county armed, doesn't mean you should"?

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
If you are referring to washing my hands and keeping people out of my personal space, I’ve been doing that on my own for a good bit before the government instructed you to do so. If that’s the best come back you have, go ahead and put a mark down for yourself in the fail column. Care to give it another swing, slugger?

I am just trying to figure out what you've used your free will to do that is contrary to government guidance? Your post started with bang with all the bravado and ended with a fizzle in terms of demonstrating just what all that free will is translating to in terms of you living a life in defiance of government orders.

I am just trying to figure out what you've used your free will to do that is contrary to government guidance? Your post started with bang with all the bravado and ended with a fizzle in terms of demonstrating just what all that free will is translating to in terms of you living a life in defiance of government orders.
I believe you have a bit of a reading comprehension problem. That, along with just grasping at anything to maintain your relevance in this matter. You don’t get to win them all fair fellow. We have two separate sets of actions at hand here. What I do now in my daily life, against what the government suggests, and what I’ve been doing for years on end just as good personal hygiene. Am I defiant? I suppose that is a matter of perspective. I carry on with my daily life just as I did months ago before the China virus. I go where I need to. I do what I need to. One could say I’m no more defiant now than I was a few months ago.

Another lesson for you kind sir....Just because someone speaks bluntly, with a certain level of pride in their statements, doesn’t mean they are trying to implicitly express “bravado” as you say. This is something you often see a Beta male saying online in regards to something an Alpha male stated. Against what many these days would have you believe, it’s still ok to be brave and bold......and express as such.

Shocking thought: What if they never actually planned to enforce this, and it is just a LOUD AND CLEAR message to STAY THE **** AWAY until this shit is under control.

The alt right never disappoint with missing the forest for the trees and/or playing the slippery slope card and immediately jumping to the HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenarios where their guns/land/rights are "stolen".

Elk97

WKR
I just read that on the coast of S Carolina the police are stopping outsiders from going to the islands there including "non resident property owners". So you own property/house, pay taxes, but are denied access. I've got a serious problem with that.