Grouse .22 pistol

fmyth

WKR
Here's my grouse gun. Keltec P17 w a GSL Pillbox Suppressor. Weighs 1lb w 16 in the mag and 1 in the hole. I carry it on my pack hip belt in a Muddy River Tactical kydex holster.
Grousekiller.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve only ever shot grouse flying with a shotgun or with judo points and my stickbow. I think shooting them off the ground with a .22 pistol would be a hoot…are you guys shooting them in the head? Body?

Hollow points or solids?

I may take one up to Alaska this fall just for camp meat.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a good enough shot to hit them in the head, so it’s usually a body shot. I shoot Winchester subsonic hollow points, big, wide meplat and kills very quickly.

fmyth

WKR
I’ve only ever shot grouse flying with a shotgun or with judo points and my stickbow. I think shooting them off the ground with a .22 pistol would be a hoot…are you guys shooting them in the head? Body?

Hollow points or solids?

I may take one up to Alaska this fall just for camp meat.
I shoot them in the body with solids. Can't shoot hollow points out of the Pillbox suppressor.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Just put this together for grouse, plinking, and general fun. This is a steel 22/45. My first MKIV but I wish I had gotten one years ago. I already want one of the light models too. The light with the can shortened a bit would be a great unit.

I also need to get a smaller optic but this was laying around.

Attachments

• 20240517_173030.jpg
    20240517_173030.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 29

WRO

WKR
caa552d1e3791ad35becc9744ae4b8cf.jpg

I’m really enjoying my fn 502.. best 22 pistol trigger I’ve found yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
That threaded

What silencer are you running? I was looking at the Sparrow as an option.
I haven't threaded a barrel for a sparrow specifically in the last 10-15 years.....but I recall that they had a special tenon that had a bare section at the muzzle. The bare section was the same dia as the thread root which made tool profile critical to eliminate the drag across the bare tenon.

You may want to ensure they fixed that mess before you commit to one.

Ruger has a new MK IV out that has a new rail that will low mount a dot. The rail comes with studs that you can position to match different footprints. Slick setup if you're looking at a dot.

Felton

WKR
We just find the nearest rock… your bugle tube works pretty good too. So my dad and I were driving up a dirt road last archery elk season, we stopped and killed 2 grouse out of 4, hopped back in the truck to just to see yet another one. Back out the truck we go and my dad grabs about a the most perfect sized throwing stick and gives it a heave towards the road runner. The bird hops as the stick arrives but still was able to flip the bird over. My dad without hesitation tears off after the bird. Unfortunately the bird wasn’t disoriented and made a few hops up the mountain which was littered with deadfall. So here’s this 67 year old man crawling hands and knees over the downed trees diving after this silly grouse. I was laughing so hard!!! Then the bird cocks its wings getting ready to fly…I was down hill from the skirmish and dang sure if that grouse came right towards me and I did what any Georgian would have done. I tomahawk chopped that bird right out of mid air with my bugle tube!

Anyhow not a 22 for grouse but a good story. My choice would be my Ruger mkiii if you’re gonna shoot them.

915A3C75-A589-40D4-8AE9-49145400FF93.jpeg

Loper

WKR
We just find the nearest rock… your bugle tube works pretty good too. So my dad and I were driving up a dirt road last archery elk season, we stopped and killed 2 grouse out of 4, hopped back in the truck to just to see yet another one. Back out the truck we go and my dad grabs about a the most perfect sized throwing stick and gives it a heave towards the road runner. The bird hops as the stick arrives but still was able to flip the bird over. My dad without hesitation tears off after the bird. Unfortunately the bird wasn’t disoriented and made a few hops up the mountain which was littered with deadfall. So here’s this 67 year old man crawling hands and knees over the downed trees diving after this silly grouse. I was laughing so hard!!! Then the bird cocks its wings getting ready to fly…I was down hill from the skirmish and dang sure if that grouse came right towards me and I did what any Georgian would have done. I tomahawk chopped that bird right out of mid air with my bugle tube!

Anyhow not a 22 for grouse but a good story. My choice would be my Ruger mkiii if you’re gonna shoot them.

View attachment 718774
That’s awesome! Great story.