Grouse .22 pistol

Looking to add a .22 pistol to my collection. Figured it would be a good niche gun for when I’m riding around in my atv during grouse season. I’ve been particularly fond of the Ruger MKIV and have been intrigued by the 22/45 lite series. Any feedback on these two particular models would be greatly appreciated.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Browning buckmark for this exact reason it's a great gun for shooting grouse

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Ruger 22/45 lite with an AAC Element 2. It is perfect for grouse, I throw it in my pack with a 50 round box of cartridges and it goes everywhere with me.

I'm all over the place with 22's:ROFLMAO: I have an older 22/45. It always works and is accurate enough, but I just dont care for it.

Killed a bunch of birds with a P22 it was a picky SOB though

Got hung up on 22 slides for pistols I all ready own.

Cz kadet is hard to beat
The Marvels is the most accurate, though a tad finicky. I shoot it the most

Had to carve on this one a bit but I think its goona get alot of use. Pretty handy size. 4" on an officer frame

Resized_20240204_124851.jpeg

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
My mark IV lite suppressed with a gem tech and a holosun red dot sight is a pure joy to shoot grouse with. Under ten yards I’ve even been able to head shot quite a few with cci subsonic, which sound pretty dang close to a pellet gun. Shot piles of grouse with it now. Don’t leave home without it. So quiet I’ll even take it on archery elk hunts sometimes and shoot grouse if I know we’re not in the elk so I’m not wasting arrows:) even more fun mounted on the Moto cuz I always see grouse on moto rides! Eating good!

I was gonna go with a Ruger and happened to be picking up a rifle at my FFL and they had a good selection of Rugers as well as the FN502 tactical so I got to fondle them all. I ended up leaving with the FN as it somehow had a better trigger than them all. It shoots great suppressed with subs and Holosun fits beautifully up top. It's the same frame as their 509 so holsters and accessories all fit.

taskswap

WKR
Looking to add a .22 pistol to my collection. Figured it would be a good niche gun for when I’m riding around in my atv during grouse season. I’ve been particularly fond of the Ruger MKIV and have been intrigued by the 22/45 lite series. Any feedback on these two particular models would be greatly appreciated.
I have that exact pistol, the 22/45 Lite. I paired it with a small Burris red dot and LOVE it. I can easily take squirrels and grouse with it and I strongly prefer it over a shotgun now - no more worry about missing a pellet. It's also extremely light, so it's really pleasant to carry almost anywhere, and I believe it's a great pistol to teach a new shooter (like my kids) about better trigger-control with pistols, because there's almost no recoil so you don't learn flinching instincts.

My only complaint (if you could call it that) is that it definitely requires good ammo to cycle properly. It runs about every 40gr round I have reliably, and I have probably all of the brands because I'll buy literally any brand of .22 if it's on sale, no matter who makes it. It does NOT seem to like subsonics and lighter rounds, like CCI Sub-Sonics, Quiet-22, 21gr CCI Coppers, and even 30gr stuff. I was kind of hoping I could make it a "quiet companion" type of pistol, something I could use on grouse in elk season without overly pressuring the elk, but I'm sticking with full power rounds for now.

I see others have had better luck with those rounds and this pistol - maybe mine just has a personality? But mine will stovepipe (and even crimp a round occasionally) or just straight up not cycle. YMMV.

Matt5266

WKR
A lot of folks have reported really liking the Taurus TX22. Pretty cheap and apparently cycles most ammo. I’ve been thinking about getting one. Comes with a threaded barrel as well.

I love mine. Cycles everything supressed or not. Even shooting subsonics. It sure is fun and quite. I've had very few malfunctions. Picked mine up when they were on sale at one point for $199.

I have that exact pistol, the 22/45 Lite. I paired it with a small Burris red dot and LOVE it. I can easily take squirrels and grouse with it and I strongly prefer it over a shotgun now - no more worry about missing a pellet. It's also extremely light, so it's really pleasant to carry almost anywhere, and I believe it's a great pistol to teach a new shooter (like my kids) about better trigger-control with pistols, because there's almost no recoil so you don't learn flinching instincts.

My only complaint (if you could call it that) is that it definitely requires good ammo to cycle properly. It runs about every 40gr round I have reliably, and I have probably all of the brands because I'll buy literally any brand of .22 if it's on sale, no matter who makes it. It does NOT seem to like subsonics and lighter rounds, like CCI Sub-Sonics, Quiet-22, 21gr CCI Coppers, and even 30gr stuff. I was kind of hoping I could make it a "quiet companion" type of pistol, something I could use on grouse in elk season without overly pressuring the elk, but I'm sticking with full power rounds for now.

I see others have had better luck with those rounds and this pistol - maybe mine just has a personality? But mine will stovepipe (and even crimp a round occasionally) or just straight up not cycle. YMMV.
Have you tried the CCI sub sonic “semi auto” variation? I have no issues with that in my mark iv. I haven’t had any issues with mine cycling but I only shoot that or the CCI standards in mine.

wesfromky

WKR
I have a mark IV light with a dot. Running a DA mask, but if I was buying today, I would probably get an otter creek titanium, since it is at least a good as the mask, but lighter and easier to clean.

.22 with subs and a suppressor are so much fun.

jimh406

WKR
I'd buy the lite with the threaded barrel. I'd probably add the red dot because the sights won't stay in focus for me due to normal eye aging. Otherwise, iron sights would be fine.