Goodyear MT/R's ?

Looking at Goodyear MT/R's as the next tire on my taco. Ive had E rated Cooper AT3 and ST MAX in the past and I get way to many flat tires on the gravel road into work. Are the Goodyear with Kevlar going to be any better for puncture resistance? I know they're a mud tire but that doesn't bother me, I get into semi deep snow regularly between the road I live on and where I work.

MattB

WKR
I have 35" MTR's on my rock crawler and have had 0 issues with them on granite, so think they could probably handle a gravel road. I like them better than the BFG MT's.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had several sets of mtr tires. I stopped using due to terrible experiences of constantly coming unbalanced. They do have great sidewalls and still use a set on my rock crawler too.

I personally look at e rated if gravel is giving you flats.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
W
I've been using E rated exclusively, the gravel on the road into the plant is very sharp edged/pointed and has been a never ending headache on tires. The gravel on FS roads and the road I live on is no issue but I'm looking for more durability for the road into work. There's nothing like being late to work 5-10 times a year due to flat tires, I'm getting sick of it.

wytx

WKR
Look at the DuraTracs. They work very well in our snow, mud are ok. They do good enough in mud but shine in the snow for us and the Es have been good about no flats but mileage on them may not be the best. They seem to wear not the slowest for us at least, lots of gravel driving.

Gen273

WKR
In my opinion, Just say No to any Goodyear tires. My experience is that they are not nearly the tire they used to be.

wytx

WKR
They do make 2 different duratracs we found out. The Ford OEM ones are not the same as the snow rated Duratracs.
May not be what they once were but still work for us.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looking at Goodyear MT/R's as the next tire on my taco. Ive had E rated Cooper AT3 and ST MAX in the past and I get way to many flat tires on the gravel road into work. Are the Goodyear with Kevlar going to be any better for puncture resistance? I know they're a mud tire but that doesn't bother me, I get into semi deep snow regularly between the road I live on and where I work.
If you were getting flats with ST Maxx there's not a Goodyear tire made that will help you. I put 140k miles on my Taco driving all over the country without any flats on a couple sets of ST Maxx. Did you happen to have yours siped? I did pick up way more rocks with the second set that was siped when I got them. Even taking sidewall hits hard enough to bend tie rod ends didn't phase them. I think you're the first person I've heard who had flat issues with the Maxx. Duratracs were the only tire I took off my Taco and sold before they hit 10k miles. I may have gotten a lemon set, but they had the worst snow performance of any tire I've ever owned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
W
No siping on the ones I had in the past, no sidewall issues either. The gravel on our plant road resembles ancient obsidian arrow heads and it punctures tires in the tread area.

redcorn65

Lil-Rokslider
466cb6901417c67ba1db62f7ac96c325.jpg

Anything but Duratracks. This is about 25,000 miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redcorn65

Lil-Rokslider
And yes. That’s today and I have a giant nail in them. I took it to the tire shop. I’ll run em till they’re slick. They’re on a farm pickup and Brandon has made tires unaffordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local shop quoted me $1800 installed for M-55s, that's almost almost twice the price of BFG at $950.
There is a reason every logging crummy I've ever seen has m55s but in the last year or so schwab has sworn off Toyo they claim they had poor mileage out of the mt, but I think its so they can push there crap house brand Dean tires.

The toyo mt is a heavy tire as well.
Whenever I'm looking i dig into the spec and look at the weight of the tire and sidewall ply.

Nitto has some meat to. And even 12 ply rated in certain sizes.

I'm gonna tell you for the most part I've gone full circle and back to bfg.
When you compare cost, durability, availability, handling I think they stay at the top of the pack.

OP
W
I got away from BFG about 15 years ago simply due to cost, Cooper was more affordable. But here we are and BFG is competitive in price vs most others, certainly less expensive than Toyo.

As far as ply rating. Well that is not really a thing as much for durability.
I noticed a couple years ago they quit calling them 10 ply etc.
They went to a rating.

Well I finally found out. All ratings are constructed the same, they use a heavier gage wire cord to increase load rating.