Yet again...Tire talk

Legend

WKR
I hate buying tires, so hoping one who enjoys this topic can provide some insight.

I have a 2004 1/2 ton and drive a pile of gravel roads/mountain roads. I have always just ran E rated tires to get a 10ply for puncture resistance. It's worked well as I never have an issue with punctures. But damn it rides like crap even if I run lower air pressure.

My question, is there a highway tire (I hate road noise and if I need traction I use 4 chains) that has better than average puncture resistance and is not an E rated tire?

245/75/16

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve had really good luck out of the Yokohama geolander at. Best middle of the road. Great off road but mild enough to make no road noise and a comfortable ride. It’s in every vehicle I own and even my work truck. I just changed the ones in my work truck and got 67,000 miles out of that set. Not too bad in my opinion but mine get rotated every 5000 miles

A lot of it is size dependent. Some sizes your only options are P rated highway tires, or E rated all terrains. I'd be pretty happy with some C or D rated mild all terrains.

I’ve had great luck with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT on my ‘19 Ram. These are an E-rated AT, but have excellent ride, road manners, are quiet, and have 60k tread rating. I’m running the 275/70/18 at 40psi.

These performed awesome last October in the Bighorns in mixed deep snow, slush, mud, and ice. I was impressed with them last winter in Iowa as well. Great tires for the money.

I'm very happy with Goodyear Wranglers. I have had them on three different trucks and intend to keep buying them. I drive mostly pavement but also gravel, dirt, construction sites, etc.

I’ve had excellent results with fallen wild peaks. I have a few sets, everyone I recommend them too really likes them as well. Quiet, last and do well off road. Best wishes

I’ve had excellent results with fallen wild peaks. I have a few sets, everyone I recommend them too really likes them as well. Quiet, last and do well off road. Best wishes
I had the Falken Wildpeaks put on my engine’s chase truck this last winter. That truck sees 80% gravel and dirt roads and they’re absolutely great. The local tire shop sells the crap out of them to loggers.

cjdewese

WKR
I had the Falken Wildpeaks put on my engine’s chase truck this last winter. That truck sees 80% gravel and dirt roads and they’re absolutely great. The local tire shop sells the crap out of them to loggers.
Ive had them for my last three sets and do quite a bit of gravel roads and rocky 4x4 trails and they have held up excellent.

I've told myself if i get punctures i would move up to an E rated tire and haven't had to yet. I think the bit of tread on the sidewalls really helps.

N2TRKYS

WKR
For an all terrain, BFG KO2 in load range C. For a street tire, Michelin Defender LTX in a Load range E.

I use both of these tires. The KO2s are on my 4Runner. The Michelins are on my 2500 HD 3/4 ton diesel.

Titan

WKR
I ran a bunch of KO2s and finally switched to Falken Wildpeaks. So far I am glad I switched. KO3 is "out" now but I still don't see what the difference is.

If it were my truck, I would stick with E rated and swap some bilsteins in to improve the ride. Probably due anyway after 19 years.

Doing the same for wife’s suv as winter is falling in the mountians and not too far from us under a month forsure. I think I’ll have her go Toyo open country or Falken rubitrek most likely. Might do wild peaks but at that point I’ll do the toyos. I always run 10 ply on my 3/4 ton as it’s heavy and goes on gravel/towing on highway. Toyo’s seem to hold up the best but that new rubitrek on a light suv would probably be great I’d imagine!

I’ve had nothing but issues on Cooper xlts E’s personally. 3 sets in two years they wear like shit and gravel owns them. I used to be a big stt max and at3 xlt person. Something changed pry six years ago in rubber compound now they chip amd fail easy. Which is a bummer as local tire Rama guys are great in central MT

I have Cooper Discoverer AT3's LT on my 2001 Chevy half-ton. Live in North Idaho so plenty of gravel driving, as well as snow driving. These tires have been the best I have had on this pick-up, wearing wonderfully, ride smooth, minimal to no road noise. They are a 6 ply Load range C, so nice middle of the road tire. Also just hauled a yard of rock home (asked for 1/2 yard only but he didn't hear me) for sure the truck was squatted but surprisingly the tires barely showed signs of the heavy load.

270quest

WKR
For an all terrain, BFG KO2 in load range C. For a street tire, Michelin Defender LTX in a Load range E.

I use both of these tires. The KO2s are on my 4Runner. The Michelins are on my 2500 HD 3/4 ton diesel.
100% second this - The Michelin Defender is the best road tire out there. Still has some decent traction but its on road manners are second to none. The BFG ATs are IMHO the best AT tire. I have the Michelins on my wifes 4 runner and 8 ply BFGs on my Silverado 1500 Duramax. Both great tires for our rigs.

It wasn't too long ago that D rated tires were standard for 3/4 and 1 tons.. 10 ply E is a lot of rubber to flex. Its a trade off. Your vehicle doesn't have enough weight to flex the E tires, Maybe if you throw 600# in the bed of your truck it will ride better?

You can't have the best of both worlds, either live with it or go with a 8ply tire

100% second this - The Michelin Defender is the best road tire out there. Still has some decent traction but its on road manners are second to none. The BFG ATs are IMHO the best AT tire. I have the Michelins on my wifes 4 runner and 8 ply BFGs on my Silverado 1500 Duramax. Both great tires for our rigs.
I have always read people say that the BFG KO2's are not great in rain and snow, what's your opinion on that?

100% second this - The Michelin Defender is the best road tire out there. Still has some decent traction but its on road manners are second to none. =

LIES... The LTX is WORTHLESS once its off a paved surface. I will agree its an amazing road tire. very smooth, very comfortable, but needed 4wd to get off grass

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the cooper at3 xlts (on my truck now) and the bfgs in the past. I probably would’ve gone bfg again but $40 a tire I thought I’d give the coopers a try. I will not buy another set of Nittos.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Falken Wildpeak AT3s are a fantastic tire on the road and on forest service roads. They’ve been the best tire I’ve used over the last 35 years.

Lowg08

WKR
I know I have seen the the Goodyear wrangler mentioned. Our company has a national account with them. If it’s a regular work truck everyday use. On an f250 heavy duty they last about 27,000 miles. Best we can do. That is how I was able to convince my equipment manager to allow me to pick my own tires. Others had three sets of Goodyear in the time I had my Yokohamas. Just a thought.