TIRES - Ford F150 FX4

Anyone have first hand experience with the Nitto ridge grapplers vs wild peaks and KO2s?
I switched from KO2s to Ridge Grapplers years ago and will never go back. Can’t compare against Wildpeaks but for me the KO2s got real slippery in the rain at about half tread. Haven’t had that problem with the Ridge Grapplers and I am on my second set that are pushing 40k miles. Both my sons have them also and we all love them

Titan

WKR
80% of my mileage is on rough chip seal. I was only getting 35k out of the KO2s with my 1/2 ton. The last set were the "DT" compound that is supposed to be a little tougher. Actually seemed worse than the normal compound. Im already closing in on 20k with the Falken Wildpeaks this year and I have no doubt I will see another 25-30k miles on this set.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
2014 F150 King Ranch owner. Came with Pirelli's. They would get stuck on a popsicle. Been running Toyo AT2/3's since 50K. I get ~ 60K out of them with regular rotation. Live in ND, so they see all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same week. (EDIT Same day) They handle snow well and are pretty quiet on interstate.

wapitibob

WKR
I have the same truck, but a 2020 and I run the factory Michelin primacy 4 ply for nine months out of the year, the other three, primarily hunting, I run 10 ply open countries. I lose 3 miles per gallon when I switch from the Michelin four plies to the open country 10 plies. The Michelin have worked surprisingly well in rain and snow around here.

Drove a my 2023 xlt crew cab f150 up through salt lake through butte and to coeur d alene this last January with kinds klever rt's and only had 1 slip around Blackfoot, ID. On obvious ice. I am at 23k+ miles already on these and not unhappy yet

On my last f150 2014 crew had falken wild peak at3w and they did great and wore very well.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Cooper AT3 XLT on my '22 F150 and so far zero complaints. I've had Falken, KO2's and Toyo in the past and so far these have been the best blend of what I need.

We do run Blizzaks on our over the road trucks at work (mining) year round and except for a shorter life due to running year round they've been great. I'd actually consider doing the same when I need my next set.
How are they in the mud on the mine when it starts raining or during breakup/melt off?

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
Question back to OP - does any tire do "really well" on super cold / slick sheets of ice? I put that on the driver as much as anything. I, personally, don't want to be operating a vehicle on an ice rink if I can reasonably avoid it, so it's not a consideration for me. Just my $0.02.
Fair question.
I have slipped significantly less with Blizzaks then most of my other tires on smoother colder stuff.
Generally when we get down to -30* and-40* or lower the roads actually clear up ALOT but there is always some roads that will get polished smooth instead.

O do tend to drive a little more aggressive but haven’t had any issues.
I’m more annoyed that the stock tires couldn’t drive a dirt road in 4” of snow that was melting in April.

Yooper

WKR
How are they in the mud on the mine when it starts raining or during breakup/melt off?
We usually only run the Blizzaks on the surface which are almost all paved roads so we're not dealing with a lot of muddy situations. Underground we're running KO2's. They've held up best to the waste rock surfaces that we operate on over the years.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t deal with as insane of temp differences as you, but after talking to a college buddy that owns a tire shop, he said ridge grapplers over KO2s all day. I was shocked how much more quiet they are on the highway. Do great in snow, mud, rough trails.

BCsteve

WKR
I've got the exact same truck and it came with those Pirelli. I was planning and replaced them and the 20" wheels with Wildpeaks in the first week. Although the Wildpeaks are tree peaks mountain rated it sounds that for your driving conditions "real" snow and ice tires, like the Blizzaks, would be the better option.

slowr1der

FNG
I don't live in an area with the amount of snow you do, but my first choice out of those would be the Toyo Open Country AT followed by the Cooper AT3's.

I currently run Toyo Open Country MT's on my truck as I like something a bit more aggressive.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m surprised to see the Michelin recommendations for the OPs use. I had them on my truck for 80k. They last forever, are quiet and fuel efficient, and I never had a flat or puncture (I had 10 ply). However, they are sorely lacking for mud, snow, ice, etc. I spun out once on snow and hit another truck (20mph). I spun out in the rain when I hit an oil patch on a freeway entrance ramp curve and went backwards into the grass (25mph). I went sideways multiple times on a terrible Wyoming road covered in ice and snow (15-20 mph), though I’m not sure that anything other than a studded tire would have helped there. I’m a very competent driver and never went sideways or had an accident - ever - until the snow spin out. I know how to drive in bad weather and I just had no confidence once the roads got slick. I never got stuck in the mud, but I also never pushed it because the tread just doesn’t inspire confidence for snow and mud. The guys I hunted with who had more aggressive tread were way more stable in the weather. It’s a great tire, but probably not for AK. I switched to AT3s. So far they’ve been better in the rain than the Michelins. They definitely are wearing faster and I lost 1mpg. I’m getting ready to thrash them in NM for all of November and they will see mud, snow, and rain. Hopefully I still like them when I return. FWIW, I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Wildpeaks.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Good conversation guys - Keep it coming.

I did a Tally last night and leaders are:
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Toyo Open Country A/T III
Several others with multiple votes but those three are all close and have the highest recommendations.
Good to see different tires working for different people in different areas too.

My wife wants me to just get two sets of tires so I may do that but I really don't want to - rather do one and done.

TheCougar

WKR
Good luck Cougar. I'm surprised how many people like the Cooper AT3. I had them installed on a brand Ram 1500 before I drove it off the lot. I got 30k miles out of them and they had very poor off road traction. On blacktop traction was fine.
Well, that’s not good news! What did you switch to? These are my first set, based off of other recommendations.

Jethro

WKR
@TheCougar I have Good Year Ultra Terrain AT. They are exclusive to discounttire.com. I chose them because I like the tread pattern and tread depth and price. Off road traction much better. They're louder for sure. Can't say for longevity. I have about 12k miles on them, they look good, but I've never measured remaining tread.

My next choice would have been the Falkens, but decided to try the GY.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Not necessarily relevant to here - but I just had lunch with a customer.
I glanced at his tires and he asked what I was looking for so I told him my situation.

He has the BFGoodrich T/A KO2s - with extra siping. He said he went that route because a local snow plow company who uses loaders and trucks for the last 10 years uses the same setup. He said he can use them year round, last longer than Blizzaks and have just as good of tread with the extra siping. But you need to rotate them every 5000 miles with your services.

Just his $.02.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
@TheCougar I have Good Year Ultra Terrain AT. They are exclusive to discounttire.com. I chose them because I like the tread pattern and tread depth and price. Off road traction much better. They're louder for sure. Can't say for longevity. I have about 12k miles on them, they look good, but I've never measured remaining tread.

My next choice would have been the Falkens, but decided to try the GY.
Had not heard of these but after looking at the specs, I think you'll get at least 200k miles out of them. :ROFLMAO:

Eddie

1697580930194.png