Go To Guys N Gals

OP
T
I've seen threads with over 300 post that had only one or two nuggets of info that were golden. Prior to my first elk trip someone posted on a thread that if I found fresh shiny elk dropping I should "slow down to a crawl ". Amongst all the noise there was that one nugget that has been the common denominator to both my elk kills.

Finding the positives in these threads are a lot like finding little bits of sign while hunting and that small piece of the puzzle leads to a kill. Those who stay positive and ignore the noise are the ones who find success. No, every post here is not productive... some have little to offer. But here are some gold nuggets that could lead to a kill of two and some that will save you money. Knowing people with info you can trust is like a head coach that surrounds hisself with good assistants. The ey can make you much better at what you do.

Mark

WKR
You don't need 300 posts to sift through unless you're just trying to complicate things for yourself (and others).

The absolute best advice you got here was on post #4

Over the years I have discovered that I just have to bite the bullet and do all my testing myself, as my results rarely mimic the results of most. I'm also much more of a function over form kind of guy, so the latest and greatest with all the flare may just not be my best choice. As they say......one man's junk is another man's treasure. So I don't really fully trust anyone's opinion until I've put stuff through the ringer.

There are also valid points in posts #33, #49 and #73.

It's a simple task to find a starting point. In no particular order (and all of have been mentioned in this thread more than once):

First Lite
Kuiu
Kryptek
Sitka
________ (Insert any clothing line here if you need to add additional confusion to your search, which I believe you will)

Order some. Try it on. Wear it in the field. If it works for you, great. If not, try again. Try Merino wool, try synthetics, try down. I'm confident that you will find something in the lineup above that will solve all of the hunting scenarios you'll find yourself in.

Personally, I wear Kuiu, FirstLite, Kryptek, Core4, Darn Tough socks (all at the same time). I don't match, yet somehow I still manage to kill animals.

If you need 200+ more posts and 400+ more suggestions (of the same product lines), keep chasing your tail on this thread. If anyone can get this thread to 300 posts, it's you.

The best advise I can offer, whether you want it or not, is to serve yourself a big plate of humble pie, drop the chest thumping ego and "bad ass bow hunter" shit and open your mind. Nobody here cares about your turkey or whitetail body counts. It doesn't impress anyone. You're not the only one killing turkeys with a bow on a consistent basis and you didn't invent that.

Good luck with your search. Be prepared to spend a pile of money along the way. Sell what you don't like. Start over. If you do your homework and legwork, you'll likely have the right gear in your goodie box before the start of elk season this year.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gritty bowmen episodes give me real straight forward pro's and cons for gear. The visuals and their hunt videos help put into perspective.

For the clothing companies you can really only go wrong with fit. Post up your build and see what others say, they have nothing to gain by lieing to you.

Merino vs. synthetic. Buy one of each. Wear them separately and layered. You'll find what you like.

The posted name list is good. I'll add 5mb to it. He's not as funny as Aron Snyder (no offense 5mb) but a straight shooter as well. Read his posts. He gets it done with out being flashy or pimping the latest and greatest. There is a story posted about him and realunlucky bumping into each other and helping with a pack out. That is the mentality of this forum. Point being getting a feel of the person by just reading, not just rolling the dice on one response to your question.

I've read just about all the stickies and reviews on this site. They are all honest and fair.

Unfortunately you will probably have to sift through some bashing if the "K" word comes up. Just focus on answers related to the product not the company.

16Bore

WKR
It's always amazing how much trust is placed in the hands of strangers.

OP
T
Aside from the disparaging comments about my turkey hunting accomplishments I've benifited from majority of the comments.

I don't have unlimited funds...looking to bust $100 on a pair of britches. They need to be quiet first and foremost and made for unrestricted movements of climbing. They need to be tough enough for the most unimaginable punishment over the course of 70 days in the field and last a good 5 years. But resistance would be nice. No need for the knee pad slots...I toughen my knees on rough cement and they are probably rougher than any pad.

Hopefully I can add some sort of a light coat next Christmas.

Funny that someone mentioned Bitterroot bulls. I was doing a Google search on digiscoping adapters on a bird watching forum. This guy was very helpful, had lots of suggestions, even mentioned a stack of adapters that he has purchased throughout the years. His name on the birding forum.....Bitterroot bulls.

I prefer people who give an honest assessment of a product, preferably tested side by with another product from a different manufacturer. In my opinion, side by side comparisons are the only way to test something. Like the guy standing in the shower testing rain gear from 4 different manufacturers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There's a lot of good resources here and by really reading up on a subject you can get a good feel for who knows their stuff in a particular area. Often times I'll see a differing opinion on something, read up on it and see why that opinion is different than the others and then decide if I think that person is on to something. It's been really helpful to find guys that know their stuff and shoot them a quick PM about their knowledge or ask a specific question as well.

I dont know that I could post a list of guys as 'trustworthy sources' that hasn't already been mentioned (plus there's so many folks with good info), but it's pretty easy to tell who knows what after reading through the threads. Many times when researching something I'll find the same guys on other forums answering similar questions.

Like hunting spots... you have to put in some research to get the good info/sources.

It's always amazing how much trust is placed in the hands of strangers.

You ever take a taxi? Been in an airplane? drive your own car around other people, buy dinner at a restaurant?

I feel a lot better asking Aron about a sleeping bag or Matt about a pair of Binos then i do driving my car around on a daily basis.

Aside from the disparaging comments about my turkey hunting accomplishments I've benifited from majority of the comments.

I don't have unlimited funds...looking to bust $100 on a pair of britches. They need to be quiet first and foremost and made for unrestricted movements of climbing. They need to be tough enough for the most unimaginable punishment over the course of 70 days in the field and last a good 5 years. But resistance would be nice. No need for the knee pad slots...I toughen my knees on rough cement and they are probably rougher than any pad.

Hopefully I can add some sort of a light coat next Christmas.

Carhartt double knees, buy 2.

Well it appears TBM has been banned from the forums.
I now will have to reduce my level of culture to face book for my entertainment pleasures.

I now will have to reduce my level of culture to face book for my entertainment pleasures.

You know, he really didn't contribute much and just rubbed everyone the wrong way.

My hats off to the moderators for keeping this place real. Thank you.

Beendare

WKR
IMHO,you have to be an educated consumer....and learn to sort through the chatter. There is a lot of infomercial and Pro Staff types pimpling gear out there no doubt.

It doesn't take much effort to see if a guy is legit. Example; When every other word out of Tom Nelsons mouth [the TV personality] is a name brand product, thats pimping; "I walked up to my Ameristep blind, checked the wind with my [ridiculous] XXX wind checker and spread some XXX goop on some bushes before I sat in my XXX chair." I've met Tom at a show and he is a nice guy but his level of promotion is off the chart.

Then there are other guys like Aron that though they work for a certain company....they won't stoop to Toms level and have the integrity to give you quality advice.

I also like following the experienced guys on this forum that don't have an axe to grind...1) they aren't sponsored, 2) buy their own gear and are highly intelligent. [There are many....and i'm afraid if i start mentioning names they will get flooded with PM's]

Well now we no longer have a peoples pro staff repping for us so I guess we will have to make due on our own fellas and gallas.....

I remember one of my first posts and TBM came on pretty aggressive but soon mellowed out. Guess he is bored and posted to get reactions and when possible use the forums here and elsewhere as his hobby. I'm assuming he has been elsewhere and probably banned there too.

Sad but it is what it is.

SWOHTR

WKR
Yes, he's a hunting forum plague. Banned at Bowsite as well for similar reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this forum, it has moderators that actually moderate. I left a local to me site due to the fact that the moderators did pretty close to zero moderating. The owner of that site actually posted that he has no intention of moderating. The crap that continually went on simply wasn't worth it, despite previously being a prolific poster (I like to to think contributor).

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
TurkeyBowMaster;607348 I'll throw another name out there for archery...Justin Davis. He try's a lot said:
TBM, you just made me LOL. You obviously have no idea. JD kills more in his sleep than you ever will. Age has nothing to do with ability, drive, dedication, and determination. Some have it, some want it, some want to talk about it. I'll tell you Justin has it, hand's down.

Like most of you, I glean some good information ("why didn't I think of that?") here from experienced people. There are names I know are generally reliable and objective in their thoughts on matters. I won't name any of them, but we exchange the occasional PM and try to avoid the strident controversial crap. I almost immediately discount much of what I hear from gear-haters, company cheerleaders, aggressive or emotional posters, or those who seem to throw down bait and invite controversy repeatedly. I dunno...some guys almost have a social disease that makes them unfit for forum membership. The show up like a little skin bump but in reality are a form of cancer that keeps growing and spreading problems. In the end, a good many people have ego or security issues which lead them to seek a remedy...approval or maybe distraction...by posing as something they are not in reality.

I always think info can be shared and discussions had without resorting to insults, innuendo, anger or self-aggrandizement. I can disagree with someone and like them after the fact....my marriage is proof! I can and do walk (or page-turn) away from problem-people. It's a lot more satisfying in the end than constantly engaging or dueling with a wacko seeking attention. Speaking of which...most of this misbehavior is about attention-seeking anyway. The more any of us respond in any fashion to a drama-queen, the more we give them what they seek. To them, even the most negative reply beats no reply...so they get enough value from it to keep doing it again and again. How else can you explain a guy getting hammered 25 times in a thread and he keeps re-engaging?

The best response is often no response when you want to discourage a misbehaver. They'll wear out and take it somewhere else hoping to find those who don't know them and are ready to start a new game. Better them than you and me.