Jet sled for fishing nw rivers

seand

WKR
I’ve been running an 18’ alumaweld freedrifter (115/80 Yamaha 4stroke) for 9 years and it’s been great, I’d buy it again. Or a 20’, but 18 fits my driveway. I can fish 5 reasonably well trolling lakes/ Columbia, or 3 in skinny rivers (less weight, better performance, more room)

The difference between a 6 degree and a flattie is HUGE. Handling on skinny water and performance on bigger water (Columbia) is night and day. I wouldn’t get a flat bottom boat today.

The 66” bottom with forward step tank in a lighter hull runs way better with a 115/80 than some of the heavier or older style sleds. Any bigger/heavier you will need more power. Bigger is almost always better, just more $$.

Tmac

WKR
One thing to keep in mind when looking at outboard powered jet boats is the actual hp rating. Some will have a factory built jet and the hp rating is actual at the pump. They often have some labeling on the cowl saying jet.

Some are a prop hp rated engine where the jet was added later. Engine may say 115, but the jet makes it 80 at the pump. Approx 70% of rated power is the general rule.

seand

WKR
keep you eyes peeled and be patient, I’ve seen freedrifters pop up on Craigslist for less than 30k used, and older ones a lot less.

I wouldn’t be looking at less than 18’ personally. They don’t float as balanced/level or as high and likely won’t get on step as fast as the longer boats. And those are the important factors in a skinny water outboard jet sled, especially steelhead fishing (side drifting, bobber dogging, etc)